News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 12:21:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2252663 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2265 on: February 14, 2014, 03:05:34 PM »
We keep getting certain adult services emails on our work email.  ??? I send them to spam every time.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2266 on: February 14, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
I have almost $10k owed to me.  I just have to supply my bank info so they know where to make a deposit.  Yay!
Only $10K. I don't get out of bed for less than $10 million imaginary.

Victoria

lilfox

« Reply #2267 on: February 14, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »
I'm certain this is a scam but I don't know what the angle is:

It's not a jewelry specific phenomenon but I'll use this as the example since it's my most recent encounter.  I was interested in a particular piece of jewelry, a silver infinity pendant. So I did a search on Amazon and got thousands of hits (with no further way to filter, they include all versions that I did not want, like silver plate or with stones, not to mention duplicate listings).

Among what appear to be perfectly legit listings, there are dozens that offer "925 sterling silver" pendants, with pics, for ridiculously low prices like $1.98 or similar.  AFAIK, you can't even get plate stuff that cheap, though you could possibly get metal-effect plastic (kiddie jewelry) that cheap.  The seller is never Amazon, of course, it'll be a string of random all-caps letters, so yeah, despite perfect or near perfect sellers ratings, it just screams scam.

So, is the scam false advertising or is there some way they get your credit card info and exploit it?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2268 on: February 14, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »
Just got an email from the "Nebraska State Court of Appeals"
Letter of acknowledgement

Hereby you are advised that we have received your complaint with enclosures dated 01/29/14.
Shortly after we receive your complaint confirmation we will initiate a trial. You are not actually
required to attend the court proceeding, the results will be sent to you in a letter without delay.

Please confirm your complaint here otherwise the claim is cancelled.

Faithfully,
Court secretary

I've never actually been to Nebraska, and I'm not sure what I'd be filing a complaint about ...

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2269 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »
I'm certain this is a scam but I don't know what the angle is:

It's not a jewelry specific phenomenon but I'll use this as the example since it's my most recent encounter.  I was interested in a particular piece of jewelry, a silver infinity pendant. So I did a search on Amazon and got thousands of hits (with no further way to filter, they include all versions that I did not want, like silver plate or with stones, not to mention duplicate listings).

Among what appear to be perfectly legit listings, there are dozens that offer "925 sterling silver" pendants, with pics, for ridiculously low prices like $1.98 or similar.  AFAIK, you can't even get plate stuff that cheap, though you could possibly get metal-effect plastic (kiddie jewelry) that cheap.  The seller is never Amazon, of course, it'll be a string of random all-caps letters, so yeah, despite perfect or near perfect sellers ratings, it just screams scam.

So, is the scam false advertising or is there some way they get your credit card info and exploit it?

Did you check the shipping prices?  Sometimes sellers list with an impossibly low sale price but a really high shipping cost.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2270 on: February 15, 2014, 07:27:38 AM »
I frequently shop Amazon, and needed a fleur de lis pendant for an event. I always click the prime check box, but you can limit the search results by choosing the category, then material or color and so on.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2271 on: February 15, 2014, 11:49:35 AM »
Those ridiculously cheap "925 silver" objects have one minor flaw. They are anything but sterling silver and are probably not even worth the $1.98. Or else, once they have the money, you'll never get the object. Good chance they will want payment by some odd method that you can't recover.

Mrs. Morris has a fortune for me. Poor dear is a little confused as to where she lives. The fortune is in British pounds, she has a yahoo.jp (Japan) email address and she emailed her message from the Cote D'Ivoire in West Africa. Does anyone know of a "charitable effort to disinherit the child"?

Hello,

I am Mrs Sandra Morris, I am married to Mr David Morris. Having no family because my husband and I had not had children before his death, I took the decision to bequeath my whole legacy is £ 6,500,000 million pounds to a charity or a person of good character so that the money used to build an orphanage, hospital or any other action going in the field of charitable effort to disinherit the child.

I do not want my money to be managed by a selfish because unfortunately you and I know that our leaders are not good morals and my money could be found in their accounts abroad or be used to buy luxury residences or satisfy any desire of this kind instead of being used to help underprivileged children the way I want.

The money is deposited in a bank here where I am currently reside.l want the money to be invested wisely in the areas mentioned above to make my goal of making a little help to the needy is reached .

If you know of good character or a charity or a person working for the underprivileged and children with the fear of God does not hesitate to contact me as soon as possible because I am very weak from the disease but do not know if I'll take the 2 months I have been given.

I know it does not may be open to me the gates of heaven, but at least I'd go clear conscience knowing that I contribute a little to make this world a better place to live right.

May God bless you.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Lindenharp

« Reply #2272 on: February 15, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
I've gotten several phone calls this week from "Microsoft Technical Department". For those who don't know, this scam involves people who claim to be from Microsoft or an affiliated company.  Viruses/corrupted files have been detected on your computer.  To fix the problem, you just have to follow instructions and type some simple commands into your computer.

I hang up as soon as the scammer introduces himself, so I only know about what comes next because I've read explanations on the Web. The scammer directs you to look at a certain file which is full of error messages.  These are all normal, minor errors, but the scammer claims that they are proof that Terrible Things will happen if you don't follow his instructions. Next, he has you download some software that will allow him to control your computer remotely.  Then he "fixes" your computer and badgers you into buying an expensive "software warranty".  Naturally he needs your credit card information for that.  The scariest part is that the scammer now has access to your computer.  He can introduce viruses, steal personal information, or delete all your files.

From what I've read, most of these scammers operate out of large call centers in India.  They use various techniques to conceal their phone numbers from Caller ID, and they target people in English-speaking countries: U.S., Canada, UK, and Australia.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx
I do what I do, because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind. It's just that. Just kind.

Catananche

« Reply #2273 on: February 15, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »
They also target the Netherlands. I keep talking to them in Dutch. They keep asking me to speak English. I keep asking them to speak Dutch. So far it's been very effective to make them hang up on me.
While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, thousands of pixels were inconvenienced

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2274 on: February 15, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »
I love it.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #2275 on: February 15, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »
My Mother got another fake grandchild call. Remembering our discussion after the last one she asked if it was Sean. He said yes and that he was in Greece and... She said have a nice day I dont have a grandson named Sean then hung up on him.

She called me to brag about it :)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Alli8098

« Reply #2276 on: February 15, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
Last year I got a call from a number with a New York area code.  It was a man with a foreign accent I couldn't quite place that pretty much stated he was was a bill collector.  I was used to getting collection calls as husband and I had some large medical bills we were struggling to pay.  I can't remember exactly what the guy stated to me at first but he got to the point that was told me that if I didn't pay the debt today we would be in court in the next few days.  I told him that was funny because I had not been served with court papers which is the absolute law in my state.  A bill collector could lose the case if I can prove I haven't been served. Plus my degree is in Criminal Justice which required me to take many classes about law to get that degree.  So even though I'm not a lawyer I'm pretty familiar with how civil and criminal cases arrive in court.  Once I made it clear that I knew the law he hung up on me.

I ended up googleing the phone number and found out it was a scammer (which I thought it was).  They will call someone claiming they are a debt collector and the debt must be paid today or you will be sued.  Unfortunately some people have fallen for the scam and lost their money.  Luckily after going through bankruptcy and having my education in a law related field I picked up on the scam and held onto my money to pay my legitimate debts to the right people.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #2277 on: February 15, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »
Maybe that's what that "collection agency" call was the other night.  It was a recording, so I just hung up on them.  If it really was a collection agency, they can have a human being call me.  We have no outstanding debts, in fact no debts at all beyond the car payment, so maybe they were trying to collect something from some relative or quasi-relative?  I know that DD1 got a call from a collection agency about her ex-husband's father, several years after she divorced XH. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Otterpop

« Reply #2278 on: February 15, 2014, 08:11:15 PM »
I got an email from Kickstarter.Com (fund raising website) today saying their data was hacked.  They said email addresses and passwords were taken so if you used the same password for any other site it was advisable to change it. 

Since they included a link to change your data I assumed it was a scam.  Hours later, I went to the official website and they DID have a warning about stolen data.

Because I'm lazy about passwords (Paypal, Amazon, etc.) I spent a frantic 20 minutes changing each an every one.  Then I deleted my Kickstarter account.  If a friend or relative launches a project, I (might) send a check.

Twik

« Reply #2279 on: February 15, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »
My Mother got another fake grandchild call. Remembering our discussion after the last one she asked if it was Sean. He said yes and that he was in Greece and... She said have a nice day I dont have a grandson named Sean then hung up on him.

She called me to brag about it :)

Applauds!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."