News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 21, 2017, 11:18:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2083958 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2325 on: February 25, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
Notice of eviction,

This notice is to inform you that your home has been foreclosed
on by the bank and you need to move out until March 27, 2014.
To make necessary arrangements you have to contact
us in the earliest possible time.

If you decide to cooperate and fulfill you obligations,
the bank will offer you a reasonable period of time for moving out.
Otherwise, you will be evicted in an administrative proceeding.
Please do contact us in the shortest possible time.

Enclosed is the detailed statement of the bank.

Real estate agency,
Emma Tailor

(The attached "detailed statement" looks like an executable file, so it's probably malware. )

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2326 on: February 25, 2014, 12:43:35 PM »
Yep, kill it with fire.

People actually will fall for that is the enraging thing.

gramma dishes

« Reply #2327 on: February 25, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
Don't they realize that people would possibly, oh ... I don't know ..., CALL THE BANK?   ::)

Twik

« Reply #2328 on: February 25, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »
Don't they realize that people would possibly, oh ... I don't know ..., CALL THE BANK?   ::)

The trouble is, people who are naïve about these things may click the link while they're still thinking "What the...? I'm not in arrears!" and not thinking about malware.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MrTango

« Reply #2329 on: February 25, 2014, 01:18:35 PM »

They don't care if the smart ones call the bank.

Lets say you have a 1% success rate on getting people to download the attachment, and only 1% of those downloads are not stopped by the computer's antivirus software.  That means you're infecting .01% (one in ten thousand) recipients.  Now, let's say you email that scam to a million email addresses (sent from a list harvested from online surveys, mailing lists, etc).  If each of those hundred computers you infect can get you an average $100 profit, you've made $10,000 with very little effort.

Oh, and you now have even more email addresses because you've harvested the address books of your victims, so you can sell those addresses (as well as adding them to your list of potential victims.

Just think if you could get someone to download it on a company-owned computer or a public computer (say, in a library) because that's even more data that can be harvested for potential profit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:20:13 PM by MrTango »

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2330 on: February 25, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
Not to mention, if the malware itself harvests the email addresses that it was clicked from, then you now have a prime list of known dupes.  They might be great targets to then hit with another scam, perhaps the "This is Microsoft Windows.  We just received notification of a virus coming from your computer.  Gives us money and we'll fix it," that type of thing.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2331 on: February 25, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »

The trouble is, people who are naïve about these things may click the link while they're still thinking "What the...? I'm not in arrears!" and not thinking about malware.

I know more than one person who has no idea what the bank's name is.  "How am I supposed to know?  My husband handles all of that!!!"  *CLICK*

Coralreef

« Reply #2332 on: February 25, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
Not to mention, if the malware itself harvests the email addresses that it was clicked from, then you now have a prime list of known dupes.  They might be great targets to then hit with another scam, perhaps the "This is Microsoft Windows.  We just received notification of a virus coming from your computer.  Gives us money and we'll fix it," that type of thing.

Or even better, "We know you got scammed, pay us and we'll get your money / clear your name / arrange with lawyers / banks".

I've heard on the news of a couple of elderly people who got scamed by this... twice.
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

squeakers

« Reply #2333 on: February 25, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
Be careful of the one ring call back scam: http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/scams-rip-offs/beware-one-ring-scam-your-phone/ndCkc/

It's another reason to _not_ call back missed calls.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2334 on: February 25, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
I don't know what the scam is here, but I was on Amazon, looking at a very newly-published book. As in so new, Amazon lists it as in stock, but the listed publication date is next month. The book is selling for $15 (Kindle version) - $60 (hardcover).

2 outfits have listings for used copies - at $999 each.

What???
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2335 on: February 25, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »
I don't know what the scam is here, but I was on Amazon, looking at a very newly-published book. As in so new, Amazon lists it as in stock, but the listed publication date is next month. The book is selling for $15 (Kindle version) - $60 (hardcover).

What???

People think other people are dumb enough to buy a copy at whatever price? Other than that, I have nothing.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2336 on: February 25, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
It is probably not a scam but a glitch from several sellers using automated pricing schemes. The first seller lists the book and sets his algorithm. The second seller lists his at a slightly higher price and sets an algorithm as well. Most pricing algorithms will increase the price if the average price increases (or more complicated schemes that end up doing the same), so the first price increases. This, of course, sets off the second and so on. This can happen on books that have only a few sellers.

Carotte

« Reply #2337 on: February 25, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »
I was once compelled to write a thread message for a toy on amazon because of the crazy price.
It was for a sonic screwdriver, a plastic replica toy from the British show Doctor Who, not even the latest version and it wasn't soldout or anything.
More than one store carries it (but there's like 6 listings for basically the same thing), most where around 10-20£, this one was 60£!
Actually, it seems like the pricing doesn't make any sense even now, with listings showing two different packagings/products (the old one used to come with another toy, two choices, the new one comes alone)...

Poppea

« Reply #2338 on: February 25, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »

What???

Reviewers copy.  They are not supposed to be sold prior to the release date.

Carotte

« Reply #2339 on: February 25, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »

What???

Reviewers copy.  They are not supposed to be sold prior to the release date.

Wouldn't that be too risqué and professional Darwinism? I would have guessed that promotional/reviewers copy have an identification with the name of the person/magazine/whatever that received it, and a signed agreement that they are not to be sold, lended, copied or anything.
If they can trace it back to you you don't do your illegal trading out in the open...  ::)

Albums that my old zine received for review had a hole in the plastic case. I didn't do reviews so I don't know if they received unrealeased albums, or if they did if it was a digital or real version.