Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 654811 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2400 on: March 06, 2014, 06:46:37 AM »
The daughter of Muammar Gaddafi wants to send me millions! Lucky me!

Good day I am Ayesha Gaddafi the daughter of the former Libyan leader, Late Col. Muammar Gadhafi. However, I was never in support of my fatherís position in killing the Libyan citizens. I am sending you this email in respect fatherís funds that was deposited in my name in a reputable financial institution  before he died. Now the Government is after us and trying to liquidate all my late fatherís funds.I would need your assistance to move the funds out to your country based on the fact that, all our activities are presently monitored .Hence I seek your assistance. I will send more information to you if you accept to assist me. Right now we have a lot of calamity in Libya and the US government has already seized $200billion dollars of my late fatherís wealth in the United State of America .So therefore, I am trying to make sure they donít find the $100Million that is deposited in my name in BANK

This is why I am trying to move the funds as soon as possible because presently, I am in the Oman Refugee camp under the Oman Government Protection Act, I canít make that happen, and hence I contacted you. I have been here in this camp since August 2011 and at that time I came in here, I was pregnant and right now have a beautiful baby. I want you to know that I have a past and history to protect and I have never supported my late father in his doings that is why I want to separate myself from the family. I contacted you because I know you  are capable to handle this project and assist me to receive these funds.

At this point I canít communicate with you on phone, but only by email as we have restricted access. I will also want you to know that I have done all that is necessary for you to receive these funds without any problem or eyebrow. As soon as I receive your email I will send you more information and also the contact of the financial institution in U.K to contact them and make further claims of these funds to your possession and hold it till am out of this camp for investment purpose in your country. But please I want you to know that I am working with you with full trust and honesty on this because the new Government of Libya is seriously looking for all funds under my late fatherís name.The total fund is $12Million and you shall have 30% of the total amount for assisting me in making this transfer a success. I also want you to know that there is no legal implication of any kind or any unforeseen one and it is 100% risk free and it is compulsory you keep every detail in this message confidential because its
PLS GET BACK TO ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED FOR MORE INFO.
mrs.linda.yoshida11@e-mail.ua

Please reply Thank you.Regards,
Ayesha Gaddafi

Oh no! Not THE EYEBROW!!   ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #2401 on: March 06, 2014, 07:18:19 AM »
I received an email today informing me that a bank in London had my ten-million-dollar inheritance ready for me. In a fit of juvenile humor, I responded to the email in outrage, telling him that my inheritance was supposed to be twenty million and how dare he presume to take half my inheritance in commission. I then accused him of "feeding off the teat of corruption". It was beautiful, if I may say so myself :D

8)

Did you get a reply?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:23:54 AM by hermanne »
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

ScubaGirl

« Reply #2402 on: March 06, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »
In the early 1960s my father was a minister in a church in Florida.  He told me they would often get people asking for money for various sad reasons.  They were told if they painted a particular wall, they would be paid.  The church had overalls for them to change into, paint brushes and paint.  Most would walk away.  Very few would paint.  However, there was one couple (man and woman) who has stuck in my dad's mind since then.  They started to paint but after a while the man knocked on the door again and said they would finish the job but did my dad have some food for his wife as they hadn't eaten in days and she was tired.  My dad took one look at the woman and quickly got them both food and drink.  He then emptied the church's petty cash and his own wallet (he was earning $5000/year and had 3 kids at the time).  He says to this day he wishes he had more money to give them.

After I've typed this I notice this is the opposite of the thread - except that most people did walk away from doing a little work for a handout.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2403 on: March 06, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »
After months of not calling me after I gave them a profanity laced rant after several calls, including 5 in one day, I got a call from the 'Air Duct Cleaning' people last night.

I was polite last night but I will get progressively less polite if they keep calling me this time.

(This is the group that when I asked for a supervisor, I was told, 'My supervisor's dead'.  Hence the descent into eHell.  Not my finest moment, I'll admit, but after the 5th call in a span of about 8 hours?  I was at the end of my rope.  The dead remark was about the 3rd call, I think.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

z_squared82

« Reply #2404 on: March 06, 2014, 09:51:50 AM »
My father called me up last night to let me know that the IRS had called for me at my parentsí house telling me I owed them money.

He then proceeded to make sure I knew it was a scam because the IRS doesnít communicate by phone.

I said, even if I werenít aware of that, I knew it had to be a scam because I havenít lived at home in a couple of years, and even before then, I mostly gave out just my cell phone number.

Silly scammers.

lilfox

« Reply #2405 on: March 06, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
If this is a scam, they put a little more work into it than your usual mass spammer. If it's not, it's a terrible attempt at recruiting.

My non-work contact information is associated with my LinkedIn profile.  Apparently someone who is not connected to me got access to it and emailed me directly (vs. sending me a LinkedIn message).  This one stood out though as having several red flags:

1. The introduction was to me by name and offers a career opportunity (the job title mentioned is not commonly known outside our small professional community) for me or anyone else I might know who's looking. That's not too unusual, I get recruiting style emails once in a while and often a recruiter will ask that I pass the word along if I'm not interested.  This one, however, includes a tinyURL link (so no direct information about where it would send me) supposedly describing the position.  Yeah, not going to click on a random link in an unsolicited email.

2. The sign-off was just a guy's first name, no signature block or further details about the sender, like how he's associated with the company named in the email (which is a real company that would have that type of job).  Sorry bub, I don't know you and you gave me nothing to work with.

3. The email address (which uses a LinkedIn auto-reply to mask the real address) had a name associated with it that's very different from the signed name.  Why is "Bryan" not using his own email or LinkedIn account to write me?

So they got a lot of details correct so it appears legit, but at the same time, manage to provide almost no real information. I guess the point was to get me to look at the link?  ::)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #2406 on: March 06, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
Does the Swiss cat know about Gaddfi's eyebrow?

Does the eyebrow know about the Swiss cat?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2407 on: March 06, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »

I suspect the Swiss cat has Gaddafi's eyebrow.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2408 on: March 06, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »

I suspect the Swiss cat has Gaddafi's eyebrow.
:o So THAT'S why that 'catnip mouse' looks suspiciously hairy...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2409 on: March 07, 2014, 12:00:13 AM »
Yesterday I was listening to an all-news station on the radio, and heard a commercial that sounded like the marketing director was reading his spam out loud.  This commercial told people that they should go to a certain website to get FREE information on how to "unlock the secrets of the Bible," which would tell them how to make sound financial investments and retire rich.

That's just wrong on so many levels.  It was played during the morning rush hour, too, not just as a late-night thing.

I run into that particular spam (I think) in written form a lot!  At least, the one that I run into references some sort of secret Bible code that some guy has unlocked and that gives away all the financial secrets you'll need, etc.  I guess it's a form of modern-day Gnosticism?  I forget what website I see it on all the time, but I've definitely seen it as an ad on some news-type website a lot.

I see mention of this scam a lot in "Around the web" feds on the bottom of a few sites.

Alli8098

« Reply #2410 on: March 07, 2014, 11:48:25 AM »
Yesterday I received the email about a "notice to vacate" my apartment; and today I received the Gadaffi one.  They all went to my spam folder of course and I just deleted them.  I agree it looks like the eviction email is meant for you to download some malicious software because you would have to click the link provided to supposedly send payment.  It people would not fall for these scams then these email would go away, but alas someone always does.

kategillian

« Reply #2411 on: March 07, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »
so, I just got a phone message from someone named Mary, I think. Very heavy Indian accent, they said that my loan for $5000 has been approved and that I should call them back. I don't think they mentioned the name of a company? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm always worried about my identity being stolen!

Alli8098

« Reply #2412 on: March 07, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »
Here's a new one, apparently I have a court date in Austin in two months.

"Notice to Appear"
To Me (I'm assuming this is supposed to have my name or email address since this is in the "to" address field)
Today at 2:23 PM
Notice to Appear,

Hereby you are notified that you have been
scheduled to appear for your hearing that
will take place in the court of Austin in May 16, 2014 at 11:00 am.
Please bring all documents and witnesses relating to this case
with you to Court on your hearing date.
The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter.

Note: If you do not attend the hearing the
judge may hear the case in your absence.

Yours truly,
GRIFFIN Gallegos
Clerk to the Court.

The email comes with a file to download, I'm assuming it's like the eviction email and has malicious software.  Nice try

cheyne

« Reply #2413 on: March 07, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
I have never been contacted by email or phone in any of the scams on the preceding 161 pages.  Lucky?  Perhaps.  Maybe just boring.   ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2414 on: March 07, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »
so, I just got a phone message from someone named Mary, I think. Very heavy Indian accent, they said that my loan for $5000 has been approved and that I should call them back. I don't think they mentioned the name of a company? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm always worried about my identity being stolen!

If there were really a loan, they wouldn't be calling your phone - they'd be sending you paperwork in the mail.  It's a scam to prey on people who want a "free" $5000 - it's probably a sketchy loan company soliciting business.