Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 687543 times)

kategillian

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2415 on: March 07, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
so, I just got a phone message from someone named Mary, I think. Very heavy Indian accent, they said that my loan for $5000 has been approved and that I should call them back. I don't think they mentioned the name of a company? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm always worried about my identity being stolen!

If there were really a loan, they wouldn't be calling your phone - they'd be sending you paperwork in the mail.  It's a scam to prey on people who want a "free" $5000 - it's probably a sketchy loan company soliciting business.

Phew! Ok, thanks!

JoW

« Reply #2416 on: March 07, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »
You can check out phone numbers at http://800notes.com/
(Its not just for numbers that start with 800)

I found that site when I googled the number that was calling me up to 6 times/day looking for "Michael".  On that site I learned that the caller was a car loan company.  Apparently Michael is a deadbeat.  He bought a car he did not intend to pay for and gave a fake phone number - my cell number. 

I post there under the name "not Michael" 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2417 on: March 08, 2014, 12:56:27 AM »
I have never been contacted by email or phone in any of the scams on the preceding 161 pages.  Lucky?  Perhaps.  Maybe just boring.   ;D

I would say just smart. I was told when we first got online to not open any email we didn't recognize, so I sent them all to the Spam folder without opening them. I missed an invitation to a baby shower, but other than that it's been good. I just looked into Spam before I deleted it. We have a message from Ami something, so I have no clue what it is. We only get a couple a day now.  (We also do the same thing with the telephone - don't answer if we don't know the caller - it will go to voicemail if it's important.)

Good gravy! Has it been 20 years that we have been online?

andi

« Reply #2418 on: March 08, 2014, 04:18:30 AM »
We just got one from a funeral home in Clearwater, Fl. They are sending us condolences on the passing of our "friend" (never actually named) and if we click "here" we will be directed to the funeral invitation.

Alexander Gillespie
Funeral Home Assistant
99 Northm Indian Rocks Rd
Belleair Bluffs, Fl 33770
727-584-7671

I'm gonna have to look that info up once I get home. We don't know anyone in Florida that would have your email but  not out phone number  to call.

KB

« Reply #2419 on: March 08, 2014, 05:21:58 AM »
We just got one from a funeral home in Clearwater, Fl. They are sending us condolences on the passing of our "friend" (never actually named) and if we click "here" we will be directed to the funeral invitation.

Alexander Gillespie
Funeral Home Assistant
727-584-7671

I'm gonna have to look that info up once I get home. We don't know anyone in Florida that would have your email but  not out phone number  to call.

Ooh, you got the famous one!

http://www.azcentral.com/business/news/articles/20140221e-mailed-death-notice-really-phishing-scam.html

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2420 on: March 08, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »

Alexander Gillespie
Funeral Home Assistant
727-584-7671

Ooh, you got the famous one!

http://www.azcentral.com/business/news/articles/20140221e-mailed-death-notice-really-phishing-scam.html

Yeah, I got that one a week or two ago.  It a shame because Hubbell is a legitimate business and they have no idea how or why they are being used like this.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #2421 on: March 08, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:55:38 AM by hermanne »
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #2422 on: March 08, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »
I have my own diplomat! And he has $5.2 million for me!

OFFICE OF Dr.S.O.ALADE
EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR,
CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (CBN)
(OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR)
CONTRACT #: MAV/NNPC/FGN/MIN/012,
Swift Code: BPH KPL PK NGN
A/C#: 1329606-101244-1609-679
CENTRAL BANK NIGERIA.
Our Ref: CBN/IRD/CBX/021/012

YOUR DIPLOMAT HAS NOW ARRIVED AT DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TEXAS). CONTACT HIM NOW JAMES BENNETT. phone 9722209812 (dipl-jamesbennett@freemail.hu)

We hereby inform you that the Scotland Yard Police, Interpol, Federal Bureau of Investigation, (FBI) United States of America, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) of Nigeria and all the African Crime fighter leaders have come together to stop scam/internet fraud in Nigeria and all round Africa. We have recovered over US$2.6 Billion Dollars from the people we have behind bars.

Our duty is to make sure we stop internet scam and money laundering. As for today we have put a lot of fraudsters in jail. We go all over Africa to pick this thieves/internet rats. We have over 8,273 of them in our jails round Africa and we are still looking for more. We are aware that a lot of foreigners out there have been deceived and lost their hard earn money to these fraudsters after promising them percentages in their letters/e-mails for their impending help to move funds out Africa including fake lottery winning notification and at the end of the day, they will collect thousands of dollars from you without a successful end.

It was agreed that to retain the good image of our country and the rest of African countries, all the victims who lost his/her hard earn money to these faceless thieves will be compensated with just US$5,200,000.00 (5.2 Million Dollars). This we assume will help you to start a new life. Please, you have to accept the money like that because the people (victims) in our pay list are too much. We are paying back from the money we recovered from these fraudsters.

YOUR DIPLOMAT HAS NOW ARRIVED AT DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TEXAS. CONTACT HIM NOW phone 9722209812. (dipl-jamesbennett@freemail.hu)

I want you to know that you have 24 hours to call the diplomat in person of Diplomat James Bennett, let us know if you are still interested to get your consignment delivery to you today as he have been waiting to hear from you to help him complete this delivery to you. Right now the diplomatic have arrival into United State with your consignment box, call him for your consignment clearance and delivery.

You are to call the Diplomat with the phone number 9722209812, Diplomat James Bennett and send him email at (dipl-jamesbennett@freemail.hu). Call him and send him an email.

Note: That you must reconfirm your full address and valid phone# to him through these email: (dipl-jamesbennett@freemail.hu) immediately you receive these email to enable him deliver your cash consignment to you without any mistake.

I appreciate your good sympathetic and collaboration, Hope hearing from you swiftly.

CONGRATULATIONS.     
Dr.S.O.ALADE,
EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR,
CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA

Miss March

« Reply #2423 on: March 08, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »
I got a phone recording saying that if I would allow this business to put a sign up in my front yard, they would install an alarm system in my house- for free.

Yeah, I deleted that one.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2424 on: March 09, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
Has anyone else on here had the guy that comes by and offers to shampoo your whole house for free or a free home inspection for a security system?  Basically they just want in to scope out your home and goods to come later come back to steal whatever they like.  It's been a good long while, but I call the police on them every time they come around (usually by that point they've had several calls).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2425 on: March 09, 2014, 08:55:25 AM »
I got a phone recording saying that if I would allow this business to put a sign up in my front yard, they would install an alarm system in my house- for free.

I don't know that that's a scam, just misleading -- many alarm system companies advertise that you can get the system for free.  You still have to pay the monthly service fee, which is where their profit is.

Jones

« Reply #2426 on: March 09, 2014, 03:56:42 PM »

I don't know that that's a scam, just misleading -- many alarm system companies advertise that you can get the system for free.  You still have to pay the monthly service fee, which is where their profit is.
If it's the company that my coworker fell for (same MO), then it's still a scam, as her alarm should have gone off by accident 3 times she knows of and it didn't (her SIL was not a very good roommate). Plus when she cancelled the service, she looked back and saw they'd taken a couple extra payments, she'd used their auto pay and they'd call and say "Your auto pay didn't go through" so she'd send a payment and then they'd do the auto pay. It didn't happen often but she did see it a couple times. She's well rid of them.

Carotte

« Reply #2427 on: March 13, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
Well I just got a weird one,
"
Objet: CONVOCATION [name]

Hello,
We confirm your interview of monday the 24th of February at.
The company that is interested by your profile is at the [adress] ( a city 145 miles from mine)
Your interview is with Mm Lefevre.

Good luck

Elsa OUFKIR CCSH Recruitment."

Ok, let's see,
I don't know who you or CCSH recruitment are.
That was for last month.
You're talking about a city 145 Miles from mine.
You didn't even complete the sentence to give me a time.
And a quick google search turned a few blogs talking about the scam.

Well, scam.. It's not actually clear what the scam is. There is no link, no attached piece, gmail didn't tag it as spam.
They just send you to a mystery interview.
One of the blog is by a woman who as been contacted day in and day out by the few different names of CCSH recruiting. She even went to one of the interview out of curiosity. There was no one there.
Puzzling. 
That was all there was in the email I received, seems like Blog-lady had more, even a web-site where she could access stuff.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2428 on: March 14, 2014, 01:43:31 AM »

One of the blog is by a woman who as been contacted day in and day out by the few different names of CCSH recruiting. She even went to one of the interview out of curiosity. There was no one there.

I hope she brought someone with her, just in case. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2429 on: March 14, 2014, 01:05:46 PM »
Must be my lucky day! I won a free cruise to some exotic caribbean location. Must be legit, because it was a text message.  ;)