Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 683105 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2490 on: March 31, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »
It was a cashiers (not personal) check for thousands of dollars so he trusted it and didn't make sure it cleared before mailing the merchandise.

A cashier's check is a check drawn on the bank itself.  So unless the check was forged, I don't understand how it could "bounce" unless the bank went under -- this is why people pay for cashier's check, for the absolute guarantee that it will be cashed.

Seen it happen also - it's a phony cashier's check, drawn on a phony bank ...

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2491 on: March 31, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »
I got a call over the weekend looking for Mickey Gravy about a past due balance on a credit card... 

Well, hmm, Gravy is his last name I guess, but Mickey is my dog !   

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2492 on: March 31, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
It was a cashiers (not personal) check for thousands of dollars so he trusted it and didn't make sure it cleared before mailing the merchandise.

A cashier's check is a check drawn on the bank itself.  So unless the check was forged, I don't understand how it could "bounce" unless the bank went under -- this is why people pay for cashier's check, for the absolute guarantee that it will be cashed.

Seen it happen also - it's a phony cashier's check, drawn on a phony bank ...
I once banked my tax cheque from the Reserve Bank of Australia and the bank still waited three days. Wouldn't we have something to worry about if that cheque bounced?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2493 on: March 31, 2014, 08:07:14 PM »
I got a call over the weekend looking for Mickey Gravy about a past due balance on a credit card... 

We warned you not to get Mickey his own credit card!!  Dogs are just so darned irresponsible with them.  ;D

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2494 on: March 31, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »
Acadianna wrote:

"A cashier's check is a check drawn on the bank itself.  So unless the check was forged, I don't understand how it could "bounce" unless the bank went under -- this is why people pay for cashier's check, for the absolute guarantee that it will be cashed."

That's the scam, of course.  The check is a forgery.  It'll show the name of a real bank but since it's a fake, the bank will have no record of issue so they won't honor it, and most people aren't familiar enough with cashier's checks to spot a fake reliably.  PSA: if you receive a cashier's check for anything, treat it like any other check by depositing it and waiting for it to clear before acting on it, or call the bank it's drawn on and verify it.  It may be harder to forge a bank check than a personal check but it's still not that hard.

Virg

snowfire

« Reply #2495 on: March 31, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »
Just pulled out of my spam folder....

U.S Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control
(OFAC)U.S Treasury Department's
1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20220

Attn Beneficiary;

This email is to notify you about the release of your outstanding payment which is truly $15.500.000.00 USD. The New Prime Minister ( UK) scheduled a time frame to settle all foreign debts which includes Contract/Inheritance/ Gambling/ Lottery(Sponsored by Microsoft and National Lottery) and other international loans.News had it that over the past,numerous individual (s) who happen to be impostors (claiming to be individuals, banks and organizations) are claiming to release numerous sums of fund via numerous ways.

With the help of the (OFAC)U.S Treasury Department's and with the FBI we have noticed that people have being asked to pay outrageous amount of money by these impostors for the transfer of their funds to them. We want you to stop all communication that has to do with these fraudsters who have been requesting unreasonable sums of money from you to release your funds which they do not have access to.

We have received a mandate and instructions from the (OFAC)U.S Treasury Department's to commence the immediate release of your funds through one of the following payment options stated below depending on your choice:

1. Payment via Automatic Teller Machine (ATM card): This is where you will be sent an Automatic Teller Machine card with Pin also known as ATM card (A Master Card would be issued). Upon receipt of your custom ATM card you will be allowed to withdraw $10,000 per day by default and you are given the option to transfer funds from your ATM card to your bank account.

2. Certified Cashiers Check or Bank Draft: In this case you will be sent a certified bank draft or check signed in your favor which you will deposit in any bank for it to be cleared within 3 to 5 working days at most depending on your bank.

3. Online Banking ( Bank To Bank Transfer) to enable you process this operation, $250 Dollars is Required for opening for an online banking operation, that will enable you get access to your account Online.

Below are few list of tracking numbers you can track from FedEx and UPS website to confirm people like you whom have successfully received their payment safely.

Name : Mrs. Jeannie Michael: FedEx Tracking Number: 794588016471
Name : Mrs. Vista Rayne Arnold: FedEx Tracking Number: 796925954101

You are advised to select one out of the three options on how you wish to receive your $15.500.000.00 USD, Your Online Banking Acess or ATM card or Check/Bank Draft will be shipped via Courier Shipping Company and would get to you within 2 working days at most.

For international shipping as stated by our company We had to sign contract with Courier for bulk shipping which makes the fees reduce from the actual $320.99 to $190.99 nothing more and no hidden fees of any sort.

You are advised to contact the Department's Officer responsible for the shipping of your Check or ATM card with the following information for shipping of your payment Check or ATM card.

Department's Officer: Mrs.Barbara Carroll
Email: ustreasurydeptofac@geordies.org really? Supposedly U.S. Gov't & a funky .org address???

And provide her with the following information:

Your full Name................
Your Address:................
Home/Cell Phone:.................
Age.......................

The Department's Officer Barbara Carroll will provide you with instructions on how you are to make payment of the $190.99 only for the shipping of your ATM card or Cashiers Check.

You are to adhere strictly to the instructions above for more information contact the Department's Officer.

Remember that you are not paying any fees extra no matter what. Once again note that the actual Courier Retail Price: $320.99 Your Price (Because of our contract signed): is now $190.99 ( $130.00 Savings!).

Thanks,
Cecelia M Lum

Sigh.  I'm not stupid, I'm not clicking and for $%^^*#@ sure I'm not sending money.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2496 on: March 31, 2014, 11:00:16 PM »
Just got a call from someone in an obvious boiler room (lots of chatter in the background.) Asking for Mrs.k2002 and saying that they were from the "US Department of Health Care." I suggested that he leave us alone.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2497 on: March 31, 2014, 11:09:05 PM »
DH was eager to tell me about a strange phone call we got this morning from "Computer Support" about viruses on our computer  ::)  He was curious, so he played along - they walked him through checking something in the start menu, counting the number of stopped processes (which means absolutely nothing, honestly), and then tried to direct him to go to some website and download a remote-access program so they can "fix the computer remotely."  Otherwise known as "install a keylogger and steal your bank passwords."

DH thought this was so novel and hilarious - I didn't have the heart to tell him we probably get one of those a week  :P  Just as well he's a programmer and knew exactly what was going on . . .

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2498 on: April 01, 2014, 12:51:23 AM »
 I've see this several times:
Upon receipt of your custom ATM card you will be allowed to withdraw $10,000 per day by default and you are given the option to transfer funds from your ATM card to your bank account.
All the US ATMs that I've seen will let you withdraw about $300 per day max.  I don't know how much money they're loaded with daily, but I'm pretty sure that dispensing $10,000 to one individual would drain one dry. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2499 on: April 01, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »
Elfmama wrote:

" I don't know how much money they're loaded with daily, but I'm pretty sure that dispensing $10,000 to one individual would drain one dry."

A typical ATM can hold somewhere around a quarter million dollars fully loaded, although most aren't loaded with more than $150,000.  Still, one disbursal of ten grand wouldn't slow it down.  The cash limit is to minimize theft by fraudulent card use, mostly.

Virg

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2500 on: April 01, 2014, 03:24:08 AM »

Oz ATM's and EFTPOS have an $800 limit. I think it might have been lifted to $1000 recently with some banks, but the majority still have $800 as the daily use limit.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

StarFaerie

« Reply #2501 on: April 01, 2014, 03:45:42 AM »

Oz ATM's and EFTPOS have an $800 limit. I think it might have been lifted to $1000 recently with some banks, but the majority still have $800 as the daily use limit.

I'm also in Oz and that very much depends on the ATM and your card provider. Mine will do $2,000 per withdrawal, up to $10,000 a day, if I elect to have it do so. $800 is just the default for them, not the maximum.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2502 on: April 01, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »
What really kind of stuns me about these scammers is that if they came up with a more realistic amount more people would bite - $15,500,000 is so ridiculous that most people know it's a scam immediately.

Had they come up with something like $7,000,  more of the unsuspecting public would find that believable and at least question it...giving them a second chance to make the scam work.

And I'm stunned that anyone would pay nearly $200 to get an ATM card shipped to them...how ridiculous does that even sound?

You learn about one scam and immediately ten new ones pop up, it's crazy. 

Coralreef

« Reply #2503 on: April 01, 2014, 10:46:40 AM »

We warned you not to get Mickey his own credit card!!  Dogs are just so darned irresponsible with them.  ;D

It is much better to give them gift cards to the pet store.  That way you can control their spending and control their addiction to that beef jerky stuff.

[/right

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2504 on: April 01, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »

It is much better to give them gift cards to the pet store.  That way you can control their spending and control their addiction to that beef jerky stuff.

:) :D ;D