News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 06:38:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2200885 times)

Twik

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2610 on: May 12, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »
It's interesting thinking about how the scammers sit around creating variations of existing scams. "Let's see, we've got the 'you've got millions!' scam, and the 'we're the FBI/Police/whatever, and you must do what we say' scam. Hey! Let's put them together! It'll be twice as effective!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Coralreef

« Reply #2611 on: May 12, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »
It's interesting thinking about how the scammers sit around creating variations of existing scams. "Let's see, we've got the 'you've got millions!' scam, and the 'we're the FBI/Police/whatever, and you must do what we say' scam. Hey! Let's put them together! It'll be twice as effective!"

"And to make sure everything is clear, we'll translate the thing with some online site.  Easy,peasy!"
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

HGolightly

« Reply #2612 on: May 12, 2014, 09:16:25 PM »
We got a call tonight from a representative from "our bank".  They were pretty clever for using a number one digit off from the bank's actual number and it came up on caller ID as "ABC" instead of A Banking Company. Of course when our actual bank calls us, they ask for us by name and not by asking "who am I speaking to?".  They are pretty good and I imagine have been, sadly, effective at ripping people off.

gramma dishes

« Reply #2613 on: May 12, 2014, 09:24:32 PM »
We got a call tonight from a representative from "our bank".  They were pretty clever for using a number one digit off from the bank's actual number and it came up on caller ID as "ABC" instead of A Banking Company. Of course when our actual bank calls us, they ask for us by name and not by asking "who am I speaking to?".  They are pretty good and I imagine have been, sadly, effective at ripping people off.

Did you notify your real bank about this?

HGolightly

« Reply #2614 on: May 13, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
We did! They gave us the number of the national anti fraud line to report it. One of the local radio stations have a Scam Line to get word out that DH emailed last night.

RubyCat

« Reply #2615 on: May 13, 2014, 10:10:10 AM »
I've got a moocher story that's kind of sad.

Dh is a carpenter. He has a "friend" who is a bit of a loser - can never seem to hold a job for more than a couple of months but it's always somebody else's fault. Friend's wife has MS who had been having increasing difficulty carrying laundry from the basement. Dh said that if friend bought the material he would do most of the labor. Friend bought a few items on the list but then would keep making excuses until dh would give in and go buy the stock himself or pull from his own supplies. Dh resented it but felt so bad for the wife. Meanwhile friend has all the latest electronics and bought new motorcycle, so priorities, not money was the issue.

A couple of years later, friend started talking about wife needing a ramp to the house.  Although dh hated to do it, he told friend to call him when he had all the stock ready. He never did. Wife got her ramp so we guess that friend found somebody else to supply it.

MrTango

« Reply #2616 on: May 13, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

My response to that question would be: "You called me, you should know who I am.  Who are you?"

Lynn2000

« Reply #2617 on: May 13, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
Sometimes I get phone calls where they say, literally, "This is your credit card company," or "This is your insurance company." Not the company's name. I'm always like, yeah right, and I hang up. Either it is a scam, hoping to catch people who use a variety of companies, or someone at my actual company is not very professional.
~Lynn2000

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2618 on: May 13, 2014, 07:11:37 PM »
A kick starter that had the organiser disappearing has ended up in court.

http://slashdot.org/story/201527

andi

« Reply #2619 on: May 13, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »
We just got a reminder at work about the toner/copier one. Evidently someone was "gotten" and it cost the company a bundle.

This just after our mandatory training video on security.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2620 on: May 13, 2014, 11:03:49 PM »

My response to that question would be: "You called me, you should know who I am.  Who are you?"
My usual response to "Who am I speaking to?" is "Who are you looking for?". That seems to frustrate the ones that don't know my name, enough that they often hang up on me.

Me: Hello.
Caller: Who am I speaking to?
Me: Who are you looking for?
Caller: <click>
<3

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2621 on: May 14, 2014, 08:16:54 AM »
I received a call at my office line with a strange number. I answered with my nameless greeting (for the scammers) and it was a man with heavy Arabic accented English. He asked for me by name, then told me my tuition waiver wouldn't cover my honors thesis hours. Well, at least he wasn't a scammer!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Coralreef

« Reply #2622 on: May 14, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »
I'm now getting scam emails in italian.  I'm international people! 
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2623 on: May 14, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »

My usual response to "Who am I speaking to?" is "Who are you looking for?". That seems to frustrate the ones that don't know my name, enough that they often hang up on me.

Me: Hello.
Caller: <click>

After the 3rd or 4th telemarketing/scam call in a day, I sometimes get a bit snippy.

Caller: "May I speak to the homeowner?"
My: "Only if you can ask for him by name. Bye" *click*
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2624 on: May 14, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »
If I get someone on the phone that I'm not quite sure what they are really looking for (scammer or just slow to get to the point) I use an alias.

One time had someone call and get my alias name then two hours later someone showed up for an appointment they had with Alias.  No such person here.  Hmmm.... it was an insurance salesman