Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 656384 times)

staceym

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2655 on: May 15, 2014, 01:55:01 PM »
If I get someone on the phone that I'm not quite sure what they are really looking for (scammer or just slow to get to the point) I use an alias.

One time had someone call and get my alias name then two hours later someone showed up for an appointment they had with Alias.  No such person here.  Hmmm.... it was an insurance salesman

this might be bad; but a coworker and I set up a fake voice mail.  The coworker is male and we used him to set up the voice mail.  So all calls asking who handles..blah blah blah go straight to this voice mail.

It's amusing some of the responses I get when I tell them he is unavailable (whether gone, not in, in a meeting, didn't answer his page, etc.).  Some tell me oh, that's okay I'll just send him an email - alrighty then  :D.  The one that I cracked up on was when the person told me they had is cell phone number and will just call him there  ;D

So to get out of having to do work you set up a fake account and just send people to that? I would be so mad if I was a customer and found out that instead of handling my issue you just sent me to the equivalent of the dead letter office.

what issues?? these are only for calls for people who want to sell, ink, toner, computer/office supplies

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2656 on: May 15, 2014, 01:58:22 PM »
If I get someone on the phone that I'm not quite sure what they are really looking for (scammer or just slow to get to the point) I use an alias.

One time had someone call and get my alias name then two hours later someone showed up for an appointment they had with Alias.  No such person here.  Hmmm.... it was an insurance salesman

this might be bad; but a coworker and I set up a fake voice mail.  The coworker is male and we used him to set up the voice mail.  So all calls asking who handles..blah blah blah go straight to this voice mail.

It's amusing some of the responses I get when I tell them he is unavailable (whether gone, not in, in a meeting, didn't answer his page, etc.).  Some tell me oh, that's okay I'll just send him an email - alrighty then  :D.  The one that I cracked up on was when the person told me they had is cell phone number and will just call him there  ;D

So to get out of having to do work you set up a fake account and just send people to that? I would be so mad if I was a customer and found out that instead of handling my issue you just sent me to the equivalent of the dead letter office.

what issues?? these are only for calls for people who want to sell, ink, toner, computer/office supplies

Some companies that doesn't matter. It would still be a termination offense at my job for creating the fake email/voicemail box and for directing callers into it. It doesn't matter if they are scammers or not.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2657 on: May 15, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »

That wasn't clear from the original post. Just that people asking for "a certain service" would be directed to a fake voice mail.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2658 on: May 15, 2014, 02:04:32 PM »

That wasn't clear from the original post. Just that people asking for "a certain service" would be directed to a fake voice mail.

It's part of the spiel. They ask for the name of the person "who handles your toner ordering" or whatever.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2659 on: May 15, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »

It's part of the spiel. They ask for the name of the person "who handles your toner ordering" or whatever.

But the post i was responding to didn't say that. They just said when they ask for "a certain service" which could be a scam or it could be legitimate. Depends on the office and the service asked for. If they had actually said when people call who ask for the person in charge or ordering or whatever I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2660 on: May 15, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »

But the post i was responding to didn't say that. They just said when they ask for "a certain service" which could be a scam or it could be legitimate. Depends on the office and the service asked for. If they had actually said when people call who ask for the person in charge or ordering or whatever I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

OK, I can't find the "certain service" post so never mind. :)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2661 on: May 15, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »

I didn't get that from the original post either, glad it was cleared up.

So does anyone ever go back and listen to all the messages?

KB

« Reply #2662 on: May 15, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »
So does anyone ever go back and listen to all the messages?

From my experience people like that generally don't leave messages. They hang up as soon as they get a voice mail and then call back at a later time.

Shalamar

« Reply #2663 on: May 16, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
I once THOUGHT I was being called by a scammer, but I wasn't.  This was the conversation (background:  my then-boyfriend, now-husband had only been dating for a short time at that point, and I didn't know all of his friends' voices):

*phone rings*
Woman's Voice:  Hello, is (Boyfriend's name) there?
Me:  Who's calling, please?
Woman:  Is he there or not?
Woman:  Look, would you please put (Boyfriend's name) on the phone?
Me:  Not until I know who's calling!
Woman:  It's SUSAN!  His friend from SCHOOL!  Can I talk to him or not?
Me:  ... okay.  Here he is.

I bet she thought I was a jealous b-word, but honestly - why wouldn't she identify herself right from the get-go?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2664 on: May 16, 2014, 05:32:20 PM »
I once THOUGHT I was being called by a scammer, but I wasn't.  This was the conversation (background:  my then-boyfriend, now-husband had only been dating for a short time at that point, and I didn't know all of his friends' voices):

*phone rings*

I bet she thought I was a jealous b-word, but honestly - why wouldn't she identify herself right from the get-go?

I don't blame you, if she was calling your house where your boyfriend doesn't live, that's a really weird way to act! Honestly I probably would've assumed it was a scam and hung up on her before she had a chance to explain--it sounds a little bit like one of those bill collector-types.
~Lynn2000

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2665 on: May 16, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »

*phone rings*

If someone called my house and demanded to speak to my guest without first identifying herself, I can assure you my first concern would NOT be what she thought I was.  It would be what I thought she was.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2666 on: May 16, 2014, 08:34:07 PM »

*phone rings*

If someone called my house and demanded to speak to my guest without first identifying herself, I can assure you my first concern would NOT be what she thought I was.  It would be what I thought she was.

+1 !!!

Otterpop

« Reply #2667 on: May 17, 2014, 07:47:07 AM »

*phone rings*

+1 !!!

+2

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2668 on: May 17, 2014, 05:25:28 PM »

*phone rings*

+1 !!!

+2
It isn't clear to me where she was calling to. It's still abrupt, but not as rude if she was calling the boyfriends house.

deadbody

« Reply #2669 on: May 17, 2014, 07:43:41 PM »

*phone rings*

+1 !!!

+2
It isn't clear to me where she was calling to. It's still abrupt, but not as rude if she was calling the boyfriends house.

If she was at the boyfriends house I would actually say op is bordering on rude. It is not her business who is calling to talk to bf.