Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 600169 times)

dawbs

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2835 on: June 06, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »
Guess whose family member gave their CC# to 'Microsoft' this week?  :-[

On the plus side, my child was enamored w/ the police officers visiting with them.

Tsaiko

« Reply #2836 on: June 06, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
Yay! I'm famous.

You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent your professional community in the 2014 Edition of Global Who's Who. The premier networking organization for distinguished professionals.

Once finalized, your listing will share prominent registry space with thousands of fellow accomplished individuals across the globe, each representing accomplishments within their own geographical area.

All I have to do is "click here" to verify my profile and accept the candidacy. I am very impressed, since I retired 9 years ago and my current profession is "museum volunteer."

I looked them up. Once they have your information, they call you with a very hard sell about buying an expensive membership. Those who succumb get approximately nothing. According to the BBB and other scam websites, they are completely unresponsive to complaints or requests for refunds.

I got  these notices a lot ... in high school and college (they have special editions). I guess once I got a job, I went off their lists.

I had a friend who fell for a similar scam for a poetry collection (and I nearly did, about 4 years before her, when I was 12 and submitted a poem online). I didn't have the heart to tell her that she (or really, her dad, as he paid for it) got completely ripped off on the half-dozen ridiculously overpriced copies of the book with her poem (and dozens of other terrible poems probably also by high schoolers) in them.

I got sucked into that one as well in HS! My mom, bless her, bought on copy of the book and then gently told me that no more would be purchased. I was upset. The internet was a newfangled thing which we did not have at the time (couldn't afford it), otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have realized it was a scam much sooner. It was only when I was in college and decided to look it up that I found out I had been duped.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2837 on: June 06, 2014, 11:35:18 PM »
Yay! I'm famous.

You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent your professional community in the 2014 Edition of Global Who's Who. The premier networking organization for distinguished professionals.

Once finalized, your listing will share prominent registry space with thousands of fellow accomplished individuals across the globe, each representing accomplishments within their own geographical area.

All I have to do is "click here" to verify my profile and accept the candidacy. I am very impressed, since I retired 9 years ago and my current profession is "museum volunteer."

I looked them up. Once they have your information, they call you with a very hard sell about buying an expensive membership. Those who succumb get approximately nothing. According to the BBB and other scam websites, they are completely unresponsive to complaints or requests for refunds.

I got  these notices a lot ... in high school and college (they have special editions). I guess once I got a job, I went off their lists.

I had a friend who fell for a similar scam for a poetry collection (and I nearly did, about 4 years before her, when I was 12 and submitted a poem online). I didn't have the heart to tell her that she (or really, her dad, as he paid for it) got completely ripped off on the half-dozen ridiculously overpriced copies of the book with her poem (and dozens of other terrible poems probably also by high schoolers) in them.

I got sucked into that one as well in HS! My mom, bless her, bought on copy of the book and then gently told me that no more would be purchased. I was upset. The internet was a newfangled thing which we did not have at the time (couldn't afford it), otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have realized it was a scam much sooner. It was only when I was in college and decided to look it up that I found out I had been duped.
The poetry "contest" scam predates the internet.  I remember seeing ads in the newspaper, inviting people to enter their "contest."  Of course, everybody who entered "won" no matter how rotten their poem was.  I don't remember if there was an entry fee, but I do remember that you could buy a book with your poem, an engraved plaque with the text of your poem, a coffee mug (ditto), etc. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lindee

« Reply #2838 on: June 06, 2014, 11:35:48 PM »
The school fell for one of those writing " competitions" when my children were younger and thinking it was genuine took it seriously. Interested students wrote their short stories and the best from each level were chosen by the school. Both of my children were picked to represent their year level and we were quite excited until the offer came to publish their stories at great cost and we realised what was going on.  At least they had fun writing their stories, trying to keep to the word limit and come up with a scary story took a lot of imagination and in the case of my son I recall hysterical laughter as an over garrulous handyman became more and more taciturn as he decreased the wordcount.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2839 on: June 07, 2014, 01:05:39 AM »
I must be a lousy poet, then.  I ran into the poetry book scam years ago, and wrote one.  Never heard another word.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2840 on: June 07, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »
I must be a lousy poet, then.  I ran into the poetry book scam years ago, and wrote one.  Never heard another word.

Or - yours was really, really good and they stole it and published it somewhere under their own name!   :)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2841 on: June 07, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
People have had fun with the poetry contests by deliberately submitting awful poems, which, of course, were accepted. Here are some examples.

Wretched Poems the National Library of Poetry deemed Semi-Finalist Worthy

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2842 on: June 10, 2014, 05:31:49 AM »
I see scammers have found a new way to get around email spam filters. They put the scam info ("I have 10 million dollars" etc) into a picture format and attach the picture to the email they send you, then just put this into the email body itself:

"You have been contacted in confidence, kindly go through the attached proposal and respond urgently thank you, on the alternative I can be reach through Tel: +44793745XXXX. Mr. Richard" (I just removed the last four digits of the actual phone number in the email)

+44 is for British international dialing, but the actual scam is talking about US dollars.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

amylouky

« Reply #2843 on: June 10, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »
So.. I'm wondering if this poetry contest is a scam?  http://www.adonisdesignspress.com/maze_submissions

My niece had a poem selected for this year's anthology. I am not sure how it could be a scam, because there is no fee to enter, and the authors/artists selected to be in the book get two free copies of the book.. no requirement to pay money to enter or be published in the book.

But now y'all have me wondering?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2844 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »
So.. I'm wondering if this poetry contest is a scam?  http://www.adonisdesignspress.com/maze_submissions

My niece had a poem selected for this year's anthology. I am not sure how it could be a scam, because there is no fee to enter, and the authors/artists selected to be in the book get two free copies of the book.. no requirement to pay money to enter or be published in the book.

Probably not a scam.  Or if it is, not a very good one.  ;)

amylouky

« Reply #2845 on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »
Wasn't there an episode of Little House on the Prairie where Grandpa (I think) got caught by one of the publishing scams? Paid a lot of money for his book to be published, when it was a vanity press?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2846 on: June 10, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »

There's no harm to send a poem in, as long as she doesn't send money also.  I did some cursory checking and didn't see this particular contest on any of the usual scam boards I go to, although those are generally geared more toward fiction writers.  It's still possible they'll ask for money for shipping & handling, though, or try to upsell her on "perks" like getting her poem on a plaque or having it read as part of a book-on-tape.

jmarvellous

« Reply #2847 on: June 10, 2014, 11:40:46 AM »

There's no harm to send a poem in, as long as she doesn't send money also.  I did some cursory checking and didn't see this particular contest on any of the usual scam boards I go to, although those are generally geared more toward fiction writers.  It's still possible they'll ask for money for shipping & handling, though, or try to upsell her on "perks" like getting her poem on a plaque or having it read as part of a book-on-tape.

I agree that she should beware of perks and stuff.

The website doesn't look particularly scammy, but as a publisher, it also does not look particularly professional. And it definitely has links to some of the less-legit sites on its links page. I don't think it's bad to get her poem published, even if it turns out that they're going to send her junk mail forever.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2848 on: June 10, 2014, 12:07:29 PM »
Wasn't there an episode of Little House on the Prairie where Grandpa (I think) got caught by one of the publishing scams? Paid a lot of money for his book to be published, when it was a vanity press?

There was definitely one on the Waltons, and I think it was John Boy who got caught.  His mother was the one who submitted it, though, I think.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2849 on: June 10, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »
The poetry contest is sponsored by Springfield Poets and Writers  " We are a nonprofit literary organization based in Springfield, Illinois, home of our 16th U.S. president Abraham Lincoln. We are proud to serve central Illinois and have been doing so since 1993. Our goal is to inspire and support the literary arts. For the past fifteen years, our annual teen poetry anthology, Navigating the Maze, has reached teens, their families and friends, and others around the world. "

That sounds a little more reassuring.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data