News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 01:15:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2246921 times)

gramma dishes

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3030 on: July 26, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
...This'is a 2 bedroom brewing I is in what, you are oil heat. ...

I don't think I'd want to rent a place where something (or someone!) is brewing -- especially in oil heat.   ;D

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #3031 on: July 26, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »
Some sort of auto-translation, I think.  I see them quite frequently as a mod on another board.  English has so many synonyms, with such subtle shades of meaning, that a computer picking the wrong one is more likely than not.  Add in a different language's word order, and a direct translation gives you exactly that kind of mess.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Sirius

« Reply #3032 on: July 26, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
Some sort of auto-translation, I think.  I see them quite frequently as a mod on another board.  English has so many synonyms, with such subtle shades of meaning, that a computer picking the wrong one is more likely than not.  Add in a different language's word order, and a direct translation gives you exactly that kind of mess.

I encounter this with transcribing dictations for doctors who are not native English speakers.  Got one right now who is pretty fluent but has a real problem with singulars and plurals.  He says "are" after every word that ends in an S, whether the word is a real plural or not, which results in "Pancreas are normal."  But that's a whole different story.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3033 on: July 26, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »
Had a real life one today. Was walking home and saw a group of boys. They asked me if I wanted fifty dollars. (Yes they had a bill with them) Knowing it was most likely counterfeit (who offers money to strangers anyway?!) I kept walking.
I got a "Wouldn't even take fifty dollars" muttered after me.

Nice try scammers.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #3034 on: July 27, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »
Had a real life one today. Was walking home and saw a group of boys. They asked me if I wanted fifty dollars. (Yes they had a bill with them) Knowing it was most likely counterfeit (who offers money to strangers anyway?!) I kept walking.

Nice try scammers.

Somehow, I don't think scamming you was on their minds.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Mergatroyd

« Reply #3035 on: July 27, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »

Nice try scammers.

Wasn't my first thought either. Counterfeiters make fake money to get real money, if the bill was a fake they would have asked if you had change in small bills. Then you take the fake money and they now have real money. 

Carotte

« Reply #3036 on: July 27, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »

Nice try scammers.

Wasn't my first thought either. Counterfeiters make fake money to get real money, if the bill was a fake they would have asked if you had change in small bills. Then you take the fake money and they now have real money.

Where they underage and not too far from a liquor store?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3037 on: July 27, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »

Nice try scammers.

They were standing in front of a now closed down (i think) Hookah Lounge. And we were in a public place. With lots of stores in that plaza. And if they had tried anything, I could have run into any number of shops screaming and had the police immediately called. Not a smart move on their part. I did suspect what y'all do though (again, who just gives away money) and I walked through the middle of their group (no choice they took up the whole extra large walking space) and they didn't follow me, so who knows.

Sirius

« Reply #3038 on: July 27, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »
Or the group could have knocked you down and stolen your purse. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3039 on: July 27, 2014, 03:39:52 PM »
Or the group could have knocked you down and stolen your purse.

*grin* I never carry a purse. The money I had on me was hidden by my jeans pocket and the shirt covering it. I think that's partially the reason I felt safe blowing past them. There was nothing I had that they wanted, monetarily anyway. Another reason I felt safe is the shops I mentioned. Plus the local store down a ways where the owners know me and have watched me grow up. Pretty sure they'd be angry about these young men attacking me and would chase them (I've seen it happen before.) And to add as a bonus, there were apartments nearby that i grew up in. I had options for places to run for help. :)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3040 on: July 27, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »

Nice try scammers.

They were standing in front of a now closed down (i think) Hookah Lounge. And we were in a public place. With lots of stores in that plaza. And if they had tried anything, I could have run into any number of shops screaming and had the police immediately called. Not a smart move on their part. I did suspect what y'all do though (again, who just gives away money) and I walked through the middle of their group (no choice they took up the whole extra large walking space) and they didn't follow me, so who knows.

Hmmm... How to say this delicately? 

Huh, they thought or hoped you were a "lady of the evening".
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #3041 on: July 27, 2014, 10:00:01 PM »

Nice try scammers.

A "lady of negotiable affection." A "working girl."  100 years ago, a "soiled dove."  200 years ago, an "actress."  In Ankh-Morpork, a "seamstress."  I know there are lots more...
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3042 on: July 27, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
My DS was propositioned today at the rest area we stopped at. His father was next to him, and DS is 16, but looks 18/19. A woman in her 30's asked him if he had "time for her". He told her no.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3043 on: July 28, 2014, 12:11:42 AM »

Nice try scammers.

A "lady of negotiable affection." A "working girl."  100 years ago, a "soiled dove."  200 years ago, an "actress."  In Ankh-Morpork, a "seamstress."  I know there are lots more...

"purveyor of horizontal refreshment"
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3044 on: July 28, 2014, 12:13:28 AM »

I encounter this with transcribing dictations for doctors who are not native English speakers.  Got one right now who is pretty fluent but has a real problem with singulars and plurals.  He says "are" after every word that ends in an S, whether the word is a real plural or not, which results in "Pancreas are normal."  But that's a whole different story.

That's very common in Afrikaans speakers, since Afrikaans uses the same word to mean "is" and "are" (which leads to a lot of confusion about singulars and plurals in English).

Much like Zulu doesn't differentiate between "he" and "she" in a pronoun (they use a gender neutral pronoun, sort of like "they"), so you frequently get Zulu speakers when talking English accidentally using "she" for a man, or "he" for a woman.
<3