News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 20, 2017, 02:05:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 1962056 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #6885 on: July 10, 2017, 03:53:30 AM »
I had my CC skimmed at a gas station a few weeks back. I did eventually get my money back, but I'm still peeved. I thought the whole point of chipped cards was to provide extra security?

The chip will only prevent fraud when no one allows swiping anymore. The holdouts that won't install chip readers are causing the delay.

We've had a slew of articles warning of RFID scanners that can steal your CC information whilst it's in your wallet, so it's not just the holdouts who are assisting fraud.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2948212/Will-victim-digital-pickpockets-Hacker-reveals-easy-steal-credit-card-numbers-air-SECONDS.html

I bought some anti-scan wallets for our credit cards and passports [top tip: they set off the metal detectors at security! ;)]

My whole bag and wallet are both RFID blockers. IT had to be an actual skimmer on the cc swiper.

Gosh - was it an outside [pay at the pump] swiper?  Or is the gas station doing the fraud?

Gulp, either way: I'm used to looking out for changes/additions to ATMs, but never thought to check petrol pumps for same. :o
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6886 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »
Oh, petrol pumps are a great target for skimmers around here. Far more than ATMs.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Lindee

« Reply #6887 on: July 11, 2017, 12:52:52 AM »
One has to be careful about letting this be the only criteria:

There was a company that organized charity bikerides and invested 40% in" recruitment and customer service and the magic of the experience."...sponsors didn't want that, they wanted more $$ to go to the charity and stopped using the professional organizers and the cancer charity went from bringing in $71 million after expenses to bringing in $11 million in a year.

What's better: 100% of $11 million or 60% of $118 million?

But that is $4720,000 of a finite amount of charity dollars being redirected to "recruitment and customer service and the magic of the experience".  There are only so many funds available before charity overload happens and the more "charity groups" that offer to do their fundraising for genuine groups while keeping a lot of it for themselves the less there is left over to go to the charities.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #6888 on: July 11, 2017, 09:32:31 AM »
One has to be careful about letting this be the only criteria:

There was a company that organized charity bikerides and invested 40% in" recruitment and customer service and the magic of the experience."...sponsors didn't want that, they wanted more $$ to go to the charity and stopped using the professional organizers and the cancer charity went from bringing in $71 million after expenses to bringing in $11 million in a year.

What's better: 100% of $11 million or 60% of $118 million?

But that is $4720,000 of a finite amount of charity dollars being redirected to "recruitment and customer service and the magic of the experience".  There are only so many funds available before charity overload happens and the more "charity groups" that offer to do their fundraising for genuine groups while keeping a lot of it for themselves the less there is left over to go to the charities.

What we don't know is how fixed the number of charity dollars is. If I'm thinking I will spend X on charity this year, then a donation to Doctors without Borders might be money not going to the ASPCA. But with something like those charity bike rides, they may be getting money from people who aren't thinking "this is a piece of my charity budget" but are thinking of it as a biking weekend, and spending money from their recreational budget, like baseball tickets or a fancy dinner out.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #6889 on: July 11, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »
Earlier this evening I received two phone calls from numbers I didn't recognize, so I ignored them.  Later, when checking to see if I had any messages, it turned out one of the two calls left the following message:

Sorry.  You did not reveal yourself to be human.  Good-bye.

That makes both of us.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #6890 on: July 11, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
Earlier this evening I received two phone calls from numbers I didn't recognize, so I ignored them.  Later, when checking to see if I had any messages, it turned out one of the two calls left the following message:

That makes both of us.

I've started picking up the phone and pretending I'm not human - I got so fed up with silence when I answered a call, that I'm now not saying a thing.  Real humans will go: "hello?" and then I will answer, but I'm much less irritated when the machines hang up on me now.  It won't change a thing, but is providing a small amount of entertainment for me as I pretend to be a robot. :)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6891 on: July 11, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »
I have a fax line that gets calls from the same phone numbers, we never get a fax from those numbers.  When are they going to realize it is always going to be the fax machine and stop calling? 

Maybe never, I've been here over 10 years  :o

Chez Miriam

« Reply #6892 on: July 11, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
I have a fax line that gets calls from the same phone numbers, we never get a fax from those numbers.  When are they going to realize it is always going to be the fax machine and stop calling? 

At least you know they aren't important calls.  If they were, the caller would either google your proper phone number, or (if that's something truly hidden) they would send a fax asking you to call them.  The fact they do neither probably means some robot is getting ticked off that the fax machine doesn't speak its language! ;)

GardenGal

« Reply #6893 on: July 11, 2017, 03:59:50 PM »
I've started picking up the phone and pretending I'm not human - I got so fed up with silence when I answered a call, that I'm now not saying a thing.  Real humans will go: "hello?" and then I will answer, but I'm much less irritated when the machines hang up on me now.  It won't change a thing, but is providing a small amount of entertainment for me as I pretend to be a robot. :)

I do exactly this and you know what, it is NEVER a human.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #6894 on: July 12, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »

That makes both of us.

I always say a very quiet hello when I pick up the phone if I don't know the number. This usually stalls out the computers, but the people will usually say something.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6895 on: July 12, 2017, 12:18:45 PM »

At least you know they aren't important calls.  If they were, the caller would either google your proper phone number, or (if that's something truly hidden) they would send a fax asking you to call them.  The fact they do neither probably means some robot is getting ticked off that the fax machine doesn't speak its language! ;)

A couple of times through the years I have snatched up the phone before the fax answers, and I am not kidding you, the very first time a voice said, "Hello, this is Microsoft we are getting warnings from your computer about a virus..."

Sometimes, when I am bored or just need a break I will pick up and converse with them, I have told people it is the lifeguard stand at the beach - what is your emergency?  The elevator in the bank building - state your problem please.  The CIA, what is your password, followed with how did you get this number?   It takes so little to entertain me sometimes.   >:D

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6896 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
This was on my caller id Friday evening when I finally got home, I got a good laugh:

ILLEGAL SCAM
410-996-4474

I took a picture of the caller id but I don't know how to post it here apparently.  Now I ask you, who would want to answer that incoming call? 

Friday

« Reply #6897 on: July 18, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »
I've gotten several cell phone calls that show up as "Scam Likely" on my T-Mobile phone......

gramma dishes

« Reply #6898 on: July 18, 2017, 09:18:20 AM »
This was on my caller id Friday evening when I finally got home, I got a good laugh:

ILLEGAL SCAM
410-996-4474

I took a picture of the caller id but I don't know how to post it here apparently.  Now I ask you, who would want to answer that incoming call?

Perhaps they thought someone might interpret it as a call that was going to be about an illegal scam and how to avoid it.

Lulubelle

« Reply #6899 on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »

ILLEGAL SCAM
410-996-4474

Perhaps they thought someone might interpret it as a call that was going to be about an illegal scam and how to avoid it.
Who's there?
Landshark.