News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2017, 03:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2089807 times)

GardenGal

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #6825 on: July 11, 2017, 03:59:50 PM »
I've started picking up the phone and pretending I'm not human - I got so fed up with silence when I answered a call, that I'm now not saying a thing.  Real humans will go: "hello?" and then I will answer, but I'm much less irritated when the machines hang up on me now.  It won't change a thing, but is providing a small amount of entertainment for me as I pretend to be a robot. :)

I do exactly this and you know what, it is NEVER a human.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #6826 on: July 12, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »
Earlier this evening I received two phone calls from numbers I didn't recognize, so I ignored them.  Later, when checking to see if I had any messages, it turned out one of the two calls left the following message:

Sorry.  You did not reveal yourself to be human.  Good-bye.

That makes both of us.

I've started picking up the phone and pretending I'm not human - I got so fed up with silence when I answered a call, that I'm now not saying a thing.  Real humans will go: "hello?" and then I will answer, but I'm much less irritated when the machines hang up on me now.  It won't change a thing, but is providing a small amount of entertainment for me as I pretend to be a robot. :)

I always say a very quiet hello when I pick up the phone if I don't know the number. This usually stalls out the computers, but the people will usually say something.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6827 on: July 12, 2017, 12:18:45 PM »
I have a fax line that gets calls from the same phone numbers, we never get a fax from those numbers.  When are they going to realize it is always going to be the fax machine and stop calling? 

Maybe never, I've been here over 10 years  :o

At least you know they aren't important calls.  If they were, the caller would either google your proper phone number, or (if that's something truly hidden) they would send a fax asking you to call them.  The fact they do neither probably means some robot is getting ticked off that the fax machine doesn't speak its language! ;)

A couple of times through the years I have snatched up the phone before the fax answers, and I am not kidding you, the very first time a voice said, "Hello, this is Microsoft we are getting warnings from your computer about a virus..."

Sometimes, when I am bored or just need a break I will pick up and converse with them, I have told people it is the lifeguard stand at the beach - what is your emergency?  The elevator in the bank building - state your problem please.  The CIA, what is your password, followed with how did you get this number?   It takes so little to entertain me sometimes.   >:D

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6828 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
This was on my caller id Friday evening when I finally got home, I got a good laugh:

ILLEGAL SCAM
410-996-4474

I took a picture of the caller id but I don't know how to post it here apparently.  Now I ask you, who would want to answer that incoming call? 

Friday

« Reply #6829 on: July 18, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »
I've gotten several cell phone calls that show up as "Scam Likely" on my T-Mobile phone......

gramma dishes

« Reply #6830 on: July 18, 2017, 09:18:20 AM »
This was on my caller id Friday evening when I finally got home, I got a good laugh:

ILLEGAL SCAM
410-996-4474

I took a picture of the caller id but I don't know how to post it here apparently.  Now I ask you, who would want to answer that incoming call?

Perhaps they thought someone might interpret it as a call that was going to be about an illegal scam and how to avoid it.

Lulubelle

« Reply #6831 on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »

ILLEGAL SCAM
410-996-4474

Perhaps they thought someone might interpret it as a call that was going to be about an illegal scam and how to avoid it.
Who's there?
Landshark.

gramma dishes

« Reply #6832 on: July 18, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »

ILLEGAL SCAM
410-996-4474

Who's there?
Landshark.

Candygram.

crella

« Reply #6833 on: July 18, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #6834 on: July 18, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
Dum-dum, dum-dum....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6835 on: July 18, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »

ILLEGAL SCAM
410-996-4474

Who's there?
Landshark.

Candygram.

I think we might be showing our age...     hilarious!

Lindenharp

« Reply #6836 on: July 19, 2017, 12:23:15 AM »
I don't know if this was a scam or a wrong number. I got a text on Monday morning that said:
I had a great time last night!  :)

It was not a number I recognized. I did go out Sunday night--for an early dinner at a diner with my aunt and uncle. I didn't reply, but I do wonder what it was about.
I do what I do, because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind. It's just that. Just kind.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6837 on: July 19, 2017, 07:17:30 AM »
Probably a wrong number.

I got a text once, 'Dude, my knee is [expletive]ed!', followed a few minutes later with, 'Sorry, wrong number.'  I just laughed.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6838 on: July 19, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »
I got a call on my landline a few years ago, around January 3. When I answered, a cheerful male voice said "Happy New Year!"  I didn't recognize the voice, so in my formal, you-sound-like-a-telemarketer tone, I said " to whom do you wish to speak?"  He asked for "Mary," sounding a bit nonplussed. I told him he had a wrong number and he apologized and hung up.

He called right back. OK, I'll allow that, maybe he thought he must have misdialed. But he called back a couple of times more, begging "don't you know Mary? Do you have a daughter or a niece?"  Finally, I told him in exasperation that he must have copied down the number wrong and to please stop calling. I didn't tell him what I really thought. "That nice young lady you met on New Year's Eve gave you a fake number."

Back to scammers Woman loses $5000 in Blessing Scam. This one crops up every so often. The scammers tend to prey on elderly Asian immigrants who do not speak English.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

andi

« Reply #6839 on: July 19, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
My dad said he's gotten the IRS call  4-5 times a week fir the last month. He laughed at the Microsoft call - they don't own a computer