News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 06:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2578365 times)

SingingFrog

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7125 on: December 18, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »
If it exists, I would like to nominate my aunt Nicky for the Moocher of the Year award.

She just sent a registered letter to her sister Mary, who manages my grandmother's accounts, demanding a donation of fifteen thousand euros as an advance on her inheritance or she "will stop visiting Mom" (grandma for me).

Several things wrong with that demand (aside from the obvious): first, who knows what the inheritance will actually be? Grandma is going to a senior home soon, these are not free, and she doesn't have that much assets left. Second, we (meaning the rest of the family) don't actually care if she stops visiting grandma. She doesn't bring her anything positive (we feel). So no, she's not getting anything.

(There is a lot of family background there, I am leaving it out for now, but can elaborate if there are questions).

Chez Miriam

« Reply #7126 on: December 19, 2017, 06:44:09 AM »
If it exists, I would like to nominate my aunt Nicky for the Moocher of the Year award.

She just sent a registered letter to her sister Mary, who manages my grandmother's accounts, demanding a donation of fifteen thousand euros as an advance on her inheritance or she "will stop visiting Mom" (grandma for me).

Several things wrong with that demand (aside from the obvious): first, who knows what the inheritance will actually be? Grandma is going to a senior home soon, these are not free, and she doesn't have that much assets left. Second, we (meaning the rest of the family) don't actually care if she stops visiting grandma. She doesn't bring her anything positive (we feel). So no, she's not getting anything.

(There is a lot of family background there, I am leaving it out for now, but can elaborate if there are questions).

Ah, the price of "love"! >:(
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

vintagegal

« Reply #7127 on: December 19, 2017, 07:39:33 AM »

Wow, she gets my vote.

MrTango

« Reply #7128 on: December 19, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »
I wonder if Aunt Nicky thought that a registered letter would make Grandma think that she was somehow required to respond.

TracyXJ

« Reply #7129 on: December 19, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »

Thank goodness Grandma made Mary the manager of the accounts instead of Nicky.   Can you imagine the mess there would be?

gramma dishes

« Reply #7130 on: December 19, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
I wonder if Aunt Nicky thought that a registered letter would make Grandma think that she was somehow required to respond.

I certainly hope they keep the registered letter, complete with envelope.  Just in case.  Aunt Nicky sounds like the kind of person who just might go to court with this one!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7131 on: December 19, 2017, 11:26:40 AM »
A Facebook acquaintance reported a satisfactory encounter with a grandparent scammer.  It went something like this—

Scammer: Grandpa, I need help
Not Grandpa: Jimmy?
Scammer: Yes, it’s me, Jimmy. [sob story about why money is needed and why Jimmy can’t call his parents.]
Not Grandpa: You dirty rotten so-and-so! Why should I send you money? You haven’t paid me back for the last time I bailed you out.
Scammer: “click”

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

SingingFrog

« Reply #7132 on: December 19, 2017, 12:16:37 PM »

The letter was sent to her sister Mary, who is the administrator of Grandma's accounts. Grandma's mail now goes to a P.O. box so Mary can get all the important papers, then bring her the magazines and personal correspondence.

And, TracyXJ, about the choice of administrators (not the exact title): Mary and the youngest sister Kathy share the position, although when she learned that, Nicky did say "Well, why not me as administrator?".
Well, even if she had protested the decision or some such thing, she would likely not have gotten it; she wasn't even present for the meeting with the family judge. Even though it was compulsory.
She got a doctor to certify that she was physically unable to travel (at the time, she was regularly making the trip from her new domicile to grandma's). Even daughter number 3 Jenny, who has a legitimate (mental) health condition, found it in her to go see the judge.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #7133 on: December 19, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »
Don't mean to scare anyone, but since what LadyKnight1 said sounded like what I read in that article, I wanted to alert everyone.  It sounds like something that could happen way too easily.

I read this too, and wow. It truly is scary. What's really frightening is the couple has family, and weren't alone in the world. But i think its a product of the scammy system in place, or was in place, as it seems to be slowly being dismantled.

my mom is elderly, and while in a wheelchair, she has all her mental faculties and then some! I sent the article to her, and my burning question was did the couple have any kind of power or attorney or anything like that in place? Because if they did, wow, that's a huge breach of whatever to ignore that.

My mom has it all; she moved back to homestate a couple of years ago, and while not right away, she now has a new will, POA and advanced directive in place, in our state. I have copies at home as well. But also, if ANYONE tried anything like that in the article on her, they'd not only get an earful from her but me as well.

the couple in that article sounded like they were sort of on the verge of maybe not being able to live independently anymore. Just very scary

L

« Reply #7134 on: December 19, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »

I certainly hope they keep the registered letter, complete with envelope.  Just in case.  Aunt Nicky sounds like the kind of person who just might go to court with this one!

Yes, I agree. I have a sister who is off the deep end with her endless texts and calls demanding money. Uh no, Mom is still alive and it is her money. What is left after she passes will be distributed evenly among the five children. But the demands and accusations are constant--I mean multiple times a day--so every single one of those texts are being carefully kept just in case issues arise when the estate kicks in.

SingingFrog

« Reply #7135 on: December 19, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Yes, I agree. I have a sister who is off the deep end with her endless texts and calls demanding money. Uh no, Mom is still alive and it is her money. What is left after she passes will be distributed evenly among the five children. But the demands and accusations are constant--I mean multiple times a day--so every single one of those texts are being carefully kept just in case issues arise when the estate kicks in.

Oh yes, Mary and Kathy, the two administrators, keep everything and don't delete any texts from Nicky, just in case (there are precedents to her demands). They also keep grandma's papers very well organised so that if there are accusations of misconduct, they can show proof that they haven't been embezzling her money.

LadyBe205

« Reply #7136 on: December 19, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »

When my dad was starting to fail, my oldest brother and I stepped in to take of him and handle his affairs.  After he passed, we split the small amount of money he had left between his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  My brother and I took a small amount to help off-set the money we had paid out of pocket.   My other brother who hadn't spoken to my dad for over 20 years, showed up one day with his hand out.  We shut him down real quick.

sandisadie

« Reply #7137 on: December 19, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
My late husband paid his Mother's mortgage about 6 months a year for at least 15 years.  She and her husband gambled away most of their money.  Just before she passed away she deeded the property to him through a quit claim deed.  After about a year he was finally able to find a buyer and after expenses netted about $15K.  Not nearly as much as he had put into the mortgage.  He wasn't able to claim the interest on his taxes.  Wouldn't you know that immediately most of his 8 siblings demanded their share of the proceeds.  He informed them that they had been given their share.  Nothing; which was the amount they had contributed all those years.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #7138 on: December 19, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »
My parents got the grandparent scam (not that they were taken in by it), someone claiming to be the attorney for my oldest son who was in jail in a city (not the city that they live in, nor that I live in, nor the one he lives in) because he'd been in an accident and someone was injured and pressed charges (yeah, that's not the way it works).  There were several things also wrong with the story, but fortunately my mom caught that and didn't fall for it.

MrTango

« Reply #7139 on: December 20, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »

This is where I stand as well.  My parents have made POA arrangements so that if one of them is incapacitated, the other has POA.  If they are both incapacitated, the I have the POA for as long as either of them are alive.  My sister (the responsible one) is the Executrix of the estate.  My other sister, the drug addict, has been intentionally kept out of the loop on these arrangements.

I'm of the opinion that as long as either of my parents are alive, there is no inheritance.  The money is my parents' to do with as they please, and when it comes time for me to take on the responsibility of caring for them, the money is theirs to be used to ensure they have the best care possible.  I'd rather have them spend their last days comfortable and well-cared-for than have any inheritance.