Author Topic: Not stopping at a red light  (Read 2554 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Re: Not stopping at a red light
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 11:21:07 PM »
So she wants people to not slow down when they see a red light and risk accidentally running it because they didn't slow down early enough? Sorry - waiting through a cycle really isn't that big a deal. ALso drivers should be paying more attention to what is going on ahead of them then thinking about what the cars behind them might be thinking of doing (unless those cars look like they are about to ram them)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »
I see slowing down, well at least taking your foot off the gas, approaching a red light as part of defensive driving.  No one needs to race to a red light, so they can slam on their brakes feet from the light, only to gun it cause the light turned green just as they stopped.

It's bad wear and tear on your car, especially brakes and tires and totally trashes your gas milage.    So, no I don't think anyone is rude to slow down approaching a red light or a green light that you know is short and will be red when you get there.

Just for some perspective, my car is over ten years ago.  I've only had to replace the brakes and tires twice ever and one of each of those was for defective product...I had a tire blow and my front brake pad broke in half. 

I think your friend should pick up a defensive driving manual or maybe take one of the classes.  Really, I think a lot of people should...teaches people to be more aware of their surroundings, how to avoid hazards and accidents and Patience.

Waiting to turn left is just part of the life of a driver.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

sweetonsno

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 12:12:41 AM »
I think it depends a bit. Is this people slowing down in order to coast before they need to stop? That's obviously a safer choice than slamming on the brakes at the last minute. I'd say that if people are slowing down within the last quarter of a mile, it's fine. However, if it's people slowing down to well below the speed limit a mile out in the hopes that they won't have to come to a complete stop, it's rude (and possibly dangerous).