Author Topic: Choosing seats on a plane: Is this rude?  (Read 11925 times)

BuffaloFang

Re: Choosing seats on a plane: Is this rude?
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
Having lost a relative in an airline crash (Phuket 2007) and having to wait 2 weeks before it was confirmed he had died in the crash and wasnt one of those badly burned and unrecognisable or unresponsive but still alive I do see the value of people being in the seats assigned to them
I'm sorry for your loss.  :(

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2012, 03:47:53 PM »
I'm sorry, too.

And you bring up a really good point!  Moving within the same row of seats wouldn't be too bad but if you're asked to move several rows away?  Could we ask the FA to make a hand written correction on the manifest?  Or is it all electronic now?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
I'm not sure they change the seating manifest.  I was on an Air Canada flight last year in which a family of two parents and 4 kids sat in the group of seats behind me.  I believe it was a 3/3 configuration, so one parent on each side with two kids.  From the time they sat down, the kid started kicking the back of my seat.  I turned around and asked the mother to tell her child to please stop.   She turned to the kid and told him to stop, that the lady gets upset.   ::)

Anyway, turns out they were not supposed to be in those seats.  The rightful seat owner came up and told them they were in her seats.  The FA was right there and reseated the family together.  The reason they sat in that row is b/c they weren't seated together, so they just took the seats expecting someone to move for them.

AFAIK, the FA didn't change the manifest, although that may be a behind the scenes kind of thing.

White Lotus

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
We often fly a route, together, that has only one-class planes on an airline which, for assorted reasons, we need to use. We would gladly use miles or even money for the upgrade if it were available.  The Professor is tall and he really needs an upgrade or the aisle, and on long hauls, we always fly business or better (sometimes there is no business class, but I do rack up miles on business travel.  International First is heaven!) I am little, but am not a contortionist and often have to get up during this several-hour flight, which inconveniences the whole row, so I try to avoid windows, even though I like them.  If we let the airline (or in the old days, a travel agent) assign us seats I will always get a middle and someone else, usually someone huge (Murphy's law) will book the window, which means that fairly often we will be in the only full row on the plane and I will be squished to boot, and though I like cuddling with the Prof, on an airplane it is not practical, polite or even comfortable. The stranger, well, I would really rather not.  We now always book aisles across.  We have been married so long, we can communicate by telepathy <G>.  I will switch if asked, for an equal or better seat, and will take a window in a good cause, such as to enable a parent to sit with his/her children.  The Professor needs his legroom, so he usually won't except for another aisle.  We are able-bodied and will grab exit rows if we can get them, which usually solves both our problems, but those are, on this route/airline, assigned at the airport, not in advance.  No, it is NOT rude to plan for your own comfort.   It is first-come, first-served, and sometimes, if it is a last minute flight, I do get squished, but that is the way it goes.