Author Topic: Cover Tune Etiquette  (Read 1985 times)

Solanna Dryden

Cover Tune Etiquette
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
So I'm in a band now. Well, not really, we're part of the Queen's Busking Club, but my point is the same: since we're a fairly new band and we're all getting used to each other, obviously we're just going to keep it simple and cover songs that everyone already knows.

My question is this: What is the etiquette of this? Is it considered poor form to do it without notifying the original artists? Obviously, if it's a huge band like Pink Floyd that's a little impractical and chances are they won't care either. But what about for smaller/indie bands? I'm pushing to do a song by my favourite band, who are pretty small. Historically, they are totally okay with people covering their songs (especially the one I want to do! There's dozens of covers of it!), but what do you think? Do I need to give them a heads up?
(to make matters even more complicated/potentially awkward - the lead singer lives in the same city as me. Since we're playing in a public place, there's always the chance he could see us doing it.)

Does it make a difference if you're getting paid or not? We busk strictly for charity, we don't keep any of the proceeds.
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

squeakers

Re: Cover Tune Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
I think this falls more under a legal thing than an etiquette thing.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Darcy

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »
This is definitely a legal issue. You need to look at the laws to see if busking for charity constitutes free use.

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »
We already have. We're all good legally. Let's not talk about legal stuff, I've never had a thread locked and I want to keep my record!  ;D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:14:10 PM »
We already have. We're all good legally. Let's not talk about legal stuff, I've never had a thread locked and I want to keep my record!  ;D

If you're all legally good then you checked into copyrights and all that, right?

Keeping legalities out . . . what exactly is your question?

Etiquettely speaking, if you're going to perform a song that you have legal rights to perform, then yes. It would be a nicety to send an invitation to the original band. You never know. They just might show up and that would be way cool, wouldn't it? ;D

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »

If you're all legally good then you checked into copyrights and all that, right?

Keeping legalities out . . . what exactly is your question?

Etiquettely speaking, if you're going to perform a song that you have legal rights to perform, then yes. It would be a nicety to send an invitation to the original band. You never know. They just might show up and that would be way cool, wouldn't it? ;D

It would be XD. Cool. I'll facebook them tonight.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »
Heck, I don't even see anything wrong with facebooking Pink Floyd!

Since it's for charity . . . you never know what might happen! ;D

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »
The songwriters and bands I know *love* it when other people play their stuff. Exposure is good. Be sure to tell the audience whose song it is, especially if the original artist isn't super-famous.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
I would think that finding forums or other musician friends you must know would have the answers to your questions. While I believe you when you say you have your legal ducks in a row, there will still be legal questions asked. Trust me.

This does nothing to tarnish your locked thread record, because if you'd asked me if a thread of yours was locked, I would have no idea, but locked this one is.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.