Author Topic: Choosing to close a window view on a plane, okay or not so much?  (Read 7128 times)

sunnygirl

Re: Choosing to close a window view on a plane, okay or not so much?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 08:08:19 AM »
I fly a fair bit, and I've witnessed this argument a few times - twice the flight attendant had to intervene, and both times made the decision based on what was most reasonable/expected for all the passengers (the most recent, the person in the window seat wanted the blind open but because it was very early in the morning and in the designed 'sleep' period, they ruled it should stay shut). It's not rude to adjust the blind to your liking, but I think it's important to at least be aware of others' needs and what the norms are. Imo insisting on having the blind open at 3am in what is supposed to be a sleep period, subjecting everyone in that part of the plane to blazing light, is rude; doing the same thing at 2pm when one person wants the blind closed so they can nap is not rude.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
I fly a fair bit, and I've witnessed this argument a few times - twice the flight attendant had to intervene, and both times made the decision based on what was most reasonable/expected for all the passengers (the most recent, the person in the window seat wanted the blind open but because it was very early in the morning and in the designed 'sleep' period, they ruled it should stay shut). It's not rude to adjust the blind to your liking, but I think it's important to at least be aware of others' needs and what the norms are. Imo insisting on having the blind open at 3am in what is supposed to be a sleep period, subjecting everyone in that part of the plane to blazing light, is rude; doing the same thing at 2pm when one person wants the blind closed so they can nap is not rude.

I had something similar happen to me once - I was sitting looking out the window during the designated 'sleep' period and a stewardess leaned in and pulled down the blind.

What annoyed me in that situations was
a) She didn't say anything, just reached in and closed the blind
b) It was nighttime outside as well! No light to disturb fellow passengers. I was enjoying the night sky so far away from any city lights.

I still have no clue what that was all about.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

We recently went to Europe.  On the way there, it was night time, so the plane was pretty dark.  Imagine the shock when in the middle of the 'night', but bright AM inflight, someone across from us decided to open their window shade.  Most of the people woke up because of it. 

On the way back, it was daylight.  It was an older plane, so didn't have individual entertainment screens, but the ones that hang from the ceiling.  Everyone, literally everyone had their blinds closed except for one youngish girl a few across the plane from us.  It made seeing the movie and sleeping very difficult.   I felt really sorry for the girl beside her. 

I didn't complain about either incident, but made a mental note to ask about it here.  I personally thought they were rude since everyone else had their blinds closed and their desire to have open affected so many people on a long haul flight during designated sleep/quiet hours.  Sometimes, I think, you have to go with the flow.   

Betelnut

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »
Well, then, how about turning on your light when everyone else is trying to sleep?  I personally cannot sleep on planes and tend to read or do Sudoku.  Is turning on your light rude?  Or should I sit in the dark for hours?

This is confusing.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »
Well, then, how about turning on your light when everyone else is trying to sleep?  I personally cannot sleep on planes and tend to read or do Sudoku.  Is turning on your light rude?  Or should I sit in the dark for hours?

This is confusing.

I don't consider that rude. That's what they're there for. Also, those little overhead lights A)aren't that bright and B)cast a pretty small light.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MindsEye

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 04:34:59 PM »
I don't consider that rude. That's what they're there for. Also, those little overhead lights A)aren't that bright and B)cast a pretty small light.

I always bring my own reading light.  Those overhead lights just aren't bright enough for me.

MariaE

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
I've been told to turn my overhead light off. I can't sleep on planes. That was one loooooooong flight.

buvezdevin

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 05:43:26 PM »
I've been told to turn my overhead light off. I can't sleep on planes. That was one loooooooong flight.

Did a Flight Attendant tell you that, or did another passenger?  I used to use the overhead, before getting a booklight - I don't think the use of either is rude - folks who want to (and can) sleep on a flight with minimal light or sound intrusion can use eye masks and ear plugs.  It is not possible for other passengers, who want to read, to do so with *no* light.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

MariaE

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »

Did a Flight Attendant tell you that, or did another passenger?  I used to use the overhead, before getting a booklight - I don't think the use of either is rude - folks who want to (and can) sleep on a flight with minimal light or sound intrusion can use eye masks and ear plugs.  It is not possible for other passengers, who want to read, to do so with *no* light.

A flight attendant. I was so stunned I didn't know how to react.

Fortunately with iPads it's no longer a problem - I just use the light from the screen.

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »
Now, see, last time I traveled by air, one leg of the trip was on a commuter jet.  It was like being inside a flying Pringles can and I felt extremely claustrophobic.  Everybody had their shades halfway shut to block out the sunlight as it was sunset.   The only thing that saved my sanity (and normally I'm a good flyer) was that I was able to see out my window and that of the passenger directly ahead of me. 

The person who cannot look out because they will be anxious has other options--turn the head, put on eyeshades--the person who needs to not feel completely closed in does *not* have other options. 

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
I think in this day and age it's essential to handle your own needs. If you need darkness to sleep and you'll be on a flight that will be in the sun, bring a mask.

I usually get a window seat so I can keep my knee against something that doesn't bump me. Plus, then I can sleep. If I was looking out the window someone would need more than a preference to make me shut the shade. They would need a need. And really, they would need a need that overrode my desire. Wanting it dark so they could sleep might work if it was a transatlantic flight, but it wouldn't if it was a 3 pm flight down the eastern seaboard. For that, you should have planned ahead.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Eden

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »
I once asked the window seat sitter to close her shade. The angle of the light was glaring directly in my face. She was very put out and lowered it to just where it wasn't right in my eyes but it was still very bright. I decided not to argue because at least I wasn't being blinded anymore!

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 09:35:14 PM »

I have been asked to turn off my overhead light - but not ordered to do so - and my answer was no. I cannot sleep on planes so I read. I need the light for that. Sitting quietly in the dark does not appeal to me.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 08:53:24 PM »
If I am trying to sleep, I don't find the overhead light of the person beside me to be bothersome.  They are usually guided towards the seat of the person using it.  I sleep on a plane, my husband reads.  His light doesn't bother me at all.  It is not glaring me in the face like an open shade is if one person on the flight won't close their shade when everyone else has.