Author Topic: How soon is too soon to follow up? ***UPDATE***  (Read 3917 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
How soon is too soon to follow up? ***UPDATE***
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
I submitted a resume to a place nearby where I think I would enjoy working.  I spoke with the manager and she said she knew they (her bosses) were interviewing someone on October 8th and possibly depending on how that went she would let me know if they want to interview me.

I really want to follow up with her, to let her know I'm very interested, but I don't want to be a pest either. My husband thinks I should wait at least until October 15th before I make contact again.  I was thinking of calling her to follow up vs e-mail as a couple of e-mails that I sent to her got lost by the wayside and had to be resent.

I would really like to interview (and hopefully get hired!). This place is about 10 minutes from my house and utilizes one of my favorite skills on a daily basis. I would sort of like to spend a few hours there shadowing one of the employees - the manager said the work isn't hard, but some people don't like the pace.  I said to my husband I wonder if thats code for, "we expect you to work, not socialize". I have no problem with that!  But if it's scary hectic, then I don't think I would like that. I'm good with controlled chaos, just not chaos.  You know? PLUS - if it's uncontrolled chaos, I wouldn't want them to waste their time interviewing me.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:18:10 PM by joraemi »

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

learningtofly

Re: How soon is too soon to follow up?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
I would wait until the 15th.  I know it's hard, I've been interviewing as well, but I've found that even in the most motivated companies it takes everyone up to a week to get together and compare notes.  If you haven't heard by the afternoon of the 15th I would follow up.  The one week rule has worked for me.  Of course I'm now up to two follow-ups with a company whose HR is known for being slow and I can't find anyone!

betty

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
It depends on the kind of job. Mid- to high-end professional position? Waiting a week is appropriate. It might take weeks (or months) for the company to hire someone.

Retail, restaurant, or a job with less stringent hiring requirements? Those tend to get filled fast: I'd follow up 2-3 days after the other person's interview.

One follow up phone call is fine.

You mentioned wanting to shadow someone: IMO I don't think you can ask to do that. (They might have you shadow someone after you are hired, but unlikely before.) You'll have to ask questions when you are interviewed that get at the information you want to know.

Good luck!
Betty

joraemi

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
So here we are at the 15th and I was all set to call and realized I didn't really know what to say.  I am assuming I am going to have to leave a message as I have never called and reached her right away.  I was thinking of:

"Hello, Betty.  This is Jo Last Name.  I was calling to follow up with you and see if you are interested in bringing me in for an interview. As a reminder, I'm looking for PRN work at this time.  Please call me at your convenience.  My number is blah, blah, blah.  Thank you!".

I threw in the reminder about it being PRN work because the position doesn't pay benefits and I would really just be that person filling in holes in the schedule. SO -  other than the paperwork to get me hired and training days, it doesn't really "cost" them to have me on staff unless I'm actually working.

Anything else I should say?  Not say?

Only me

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
Hi

Sounds great. I have been to a couple of classes about sales adn leaving messages, etc...You have 30 seconds to impress a person.

I might suggested stating that you'll follow up with them again on xxx date. In otherwords don't leave it to them to follow up.

Me me me.

joraemi

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:02:16 AM »
Just called and left a message!  :D

Let the waiting begin!  :o

joraemi

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
***UPDATE***

WELL - I called and followed up on the 16th - sure enough they had hired the person they had interviewed on the 8th, but she told me to give her a call back middle of November and see how things are going.  SO - life goes on. 

Then TODAY after my power was turned back on and I was able to check messages, I had a message from the manager saying that the new person hadn't worked out!!  She wants me to come in and shadow for a couple of hours one day this week and see if I think the atmosphere/work/pace will be a good fit for me.  If so, then she will have me interview with the boss.

I mean - REALLY???  Just what I asked for?  When does *that* ever happen???

So - I'm going to try and go tomorrow or Thursday.  I hope I like it.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jones

Re: How soon is too soon to follow up? ***UPDATE***
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 04:18:48 PM »
Congrats!