Author Topic: How would you feel about this Christmas surprise? Update #113  (Read 23491 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: How would you feel about this Christmas surprise? Update #38
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2012, 09:34:02 AM »
Having your brother come home and surprise them won't ruin your parents' holiday, even if they don't particularly enjoy surprises. Knowing he is planning to come home, then having those plans cancelled at the last minute just might. I'd stuck to the surprise plan if I were you.

This is where I'm at as well. I would much, much, much rather not have the chance to look forward to something and then be surprised by it happening anyway, than look forward to something (for several months even) and then be disappointed by it being cancelled.

And not making plans for that week in hopes of spending it all with him and the last minute finding out it won't happen then you are kind of floundering around.  I triple agree with the surprise idea.  It's easier to cancel then trying to find something to do as a B-List planning etc.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »
Given the circumstances, and the way the military can change things last minute, I think the surprise idea is a good one.

OP, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your brother does get the leave and that he is able to come home for the holidays. The best Christmas present ever!
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »
My son was in the military in Iraq, and I'd have loved your surprise idea, and especially the big wrapped box part!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »
Having your brother come home and surprise them won't ruin your parents' holiday, even if they don't particularly enjoy surprises. Knowing he is planning to come home, then having those plans cancelled at the last minute just might. I'd stuck to the surprise plan if I were you.

This is how I come at it. I'm also one of those for whom the anticipation is a big part of the joy of an event. But that also means that when I'm anticipating something huge, if that falls through then it absolutely ruins everything, even if it was otherwise a good holiday. Since the plans here aren't definite and military plans can certainly change SO much, I think a surprise is a great idea. If it comes through, it will be a great story that will make the holiday for everyone. If it doesn't happen, then no one (except the OP) is more disappointed than they would've been.

Rohanna

« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
I think that we used to welcome veterans home with citywide parades and honor the fallen veterans with solemn ceremonies. Now we are mildly annoyed or worry about the disruption.

I think that bringing your brother home alive as a surprise gift (I like Outdoor Girl's suggestion!) would be the best gift you both could give your parents and worth *any* minor inconvenience.

Gorplady- search "Highway of Heroes" if you want to see a little old-fashioned respect for fallen soldiers. Makes me proud (and a little teary).
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2012, 01:09:06 AM »
I would absolutely attend a parade for soldiers coming home.

Army Mom

« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
One vote for just go for the surprise!  No matter what plans I had, what gifts I'd bought, how much room I had, if my son walked in the door on Christmas Eve I would be over-the-moon happy  ;D

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2012, 01:28:13 AM »
Given the circumstances, and the way the military can change things last minute, I think the surprise idea is a good one.

I agree with this... I've never made it home on a planned day. Ever. Better an awesome surprise than a crushing disappointment.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2012, 03:45:09 PM »
I can't imagine my family being "crushed" with disappointment if a military family member couldn't make it home for the actual holiday.

I think my own mother would rather know, and she'd be able to handle the "if the Army comes through" idea. And if it turned out that the leave was cancelled, I think she would have liked knowing that the child in question had really *wanted* to come home and had tried.

Maybe other families don't do well in a changeable world, but mine does.

thedudeabides

« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
I can't imagine my family being "crushed" with disappointment if a military family member couldn't make it home for the actual holiday.

I think my own mother would rather know, and she'd be able to handle the "if the Army comes through" idea. And if it turned out that the leave was cancelled, I think she would have liked knowing that the child in question had really *wanted* to come home and had tried.

Was that last jab really necessary?  It's completely understandable to be disappointed when finding out that a loved one not only won't be around for a family holiday as planned but will, in fact, still be in a dangerous situation risking life and limb and has absolutely nothing to do with "doing well in a changeable world."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
I didn't think of that as a jab. I was thinking of my MIL when I said it. She doesn't do well in a changeable world--neither does my husband. If you tell him someone might visit, he asks what plane they're arriving on. My MIL doesn't enjoy plans that are "maybes"; it's as if she can't wrap her head around the concept.

And I know my mother *would* be disappointed.
But she wouldn't be "crushed," which is the wording that seems so weird to me.
Her holiday wouldn't be ruined. There would just be a disappointment amid all the enjoyable parts.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
I would be crushed if I was anticipating my own son coming home for the holidays despite knowing that there is a chance it won't happen.  I wouldn't fall apart but my holidays would be bittersweet that he could have been there but couldn't.  Vs.  Accepting ahead of time that he won't be home for the holidays, and making the best of it.  It will be a bit bittersweet but not sad at the missed opportunity.  But that's the beauty of this board.  Opposing views, trick is though not to belittle others for their views.  It's a hard line to toe.

trailgrrl

« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
Right now my son is in school for the Army.  Basically what I've been told is "You'll know if I'm coming home for the Holidays when I call you from the airport for a ride."  :P

He could be granted holiday leave when he finishes school or be late deployed to his unit overseas, we won't know until it happens.  As a parent, A surprise visit would be fantastic.  A planned visit would be fantastic.   All that really matters to me is that he is home, how he chooses to let me know does not matter.

Unless he brings a guest with him, then some notice would be nice  ;D

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »

Wow... well, good for your family. My family (i.e. husband and son) would be pretty crushed if I were supposed to be home for the holidays and wasn't. Heck, most of my family would be. They would be understanding, but 4 year olds do not have the best logic and reasoning, so explaining it to him would be pretty rough.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2012, 08:21:15 PM »

Wow... well, good for your family. My family (i.e. husband and son) would be pretty crushed if I were supposed to be home for the holidays and wasn't. Heck, most of my family would be. They would be understanding, but 4 year olds do not have the best logic and reasoning, so explaining it to him would be pretty rough.

I agree, that last sentence (from the post you were replying to) does come across as pretty condescending.

I really don't see anything wrong with the original plan in the OP - it could always be said that "Ed thought he'd have leave for Christmas, we wanted to surprise you, but it didn't work out, at the last minute" if it indeed did not happen.