Author Topic: How would you feel about this Christmas surprise? Update #113  (Read 24456 times)

TamJamB

Re: How would you feel about this Christmas surprise? Update #38
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 10:24:27 PM »
I also saw it as a jab; and an untrue jab at that. Military families all function in a "changeable world."  They have no choice.

thedudeabides

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »
I didn't think of that as a jab. I was thinking of my MIL when I said it. She doesn't do well in a changeable world--neither does my husband. If you tell him someone might visit, he asks what plane they're arriving on. My MIL doesn't enjoy plans that are "maybes"; it's as if she can't wrap her head around the concept.

And I know my mother *would* be disappointed.
But she wouldn't be "crushed," which is the wording that seems so weird to me.
Her holiday wouldn't be ruined. There would just be a disappointment amid all the enjoyable parts.

Maybe it would have been better to specify that you were talking about something and someone completely different when we had all been discussing military families to avoid confusion.  But even with your explanation, it just comes across as a jab at a specific person instead of a jab at military families (and other members here) in general.

trailgrrl

« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2012, 11:39:04 PM »
I also saw it as a jab; and an untrue jab at that. Military families all function in a "changeable world."  They have no choice.

Yeah, I kinda did too.   All I want is my kid home for the holidays.  If it doesn't happen, well that is the nature of the profession he chose.  But I would love it if it could happen.

Maggie

« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2012, 12:20:41 AM »
I know they are sappy and all over the place (so it seems) but I still love to see the look on someone's face when their soldier walks through the door or onto a field or wherever they are meeting them.  I can't help but shed a few tears every time I see this.  I even love the ones where the dogs greet their soldier as if they just walked out the door that morning to go to work. 

I absolutely think you should surprise mom and dad.  The main reason is because I know how things work with the military.  My daughter and son in law were both in the Air Force (now just my SIL is) and they haven't been home for Christmas in 5 years.  When there was a possibility two years ago she would be here for Christmas I was devastated when she called and said they could not be here.  Please surprise mom and dad and I sincerely hope the military cooperates and your brother is home for Christmas.  That would truly make it a wonderful Christmas for your whole family!

War_Doc

« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »
Maybe other families don't do well in a changeable world, but mine does.

This last sentence was totally unnecessary.  Making blanket assumptions, such as this one, adds nothing to the conversation and only serves to promote negative feedback.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

ettiquit

« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
I'm sorry this thread is so volatile since the purpose is to best plan how to celebrate a holiday with a soldier stationed far away.

OP - it sounds like your family appreciates surprises enough that there's no real risk of it going badly.  It also makes sense to keep it a surprise since you won't know till the last minute.

If you can pull off putting him in a big box and have your parents unwrap him - even better! 

I really hope your brother is able to come home, and if he does, please let us know how it went.  :)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »
I think if your family does handle surprises well it would be OK.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »

And not every member of a military family *chooses* to be a member of a military family. You can be born into one, your child/sibling can decide to join up. Certainly, some people chose to marry a military person, but the majority of people in military families didn't have a say in the matter. They just cope as best they can, just the way everyone does. It's just that different people cope with things in different ways.

Change happens a lot in military families. As a child with a military parent, I knew we could move with less than a month's notice, in the middle of the school year, to a country I knew nothing about. Absolutely nothing you can do but cope. Three months ago, my brother was told, after a year of suspense and back-and-forthing, that he was not going to Afghanistan. Guess where he is today? Hint: He's not in the US. My other brother was supposed to retire from the service this past August. Guess what? He's not retired yet, and can't get a firm date on when that might happen. And we were all excited that he might be in the US for Christmas this year and we could get the whole family together, which hasn't happened in over seven years.

You learn to cope with this sort of thing, but I've spent my entire life with at least one family member in the military and sometimes you get tired of coping and smiling when you don't feel like it and trying to make the best of things.

It would be nice for the OP's parents to get a happy surprise, if her brother gets leave, instead of a sad surprise if he tells them he's coming home and then he can't.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Adelaide

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »
My brother's officially coming home for Christmas! :) Luckily, he's told my father, aunt, and uncle about it and he has a ride from/back to the airport. He's doing the sensible thing and not banging on the house door at 11 p.m. when his flight gets in, and is staying with a friend that night. (My mother really doesn't function well with surprises late at night. :P ) I'm going to get him a few little things to put under the tree and have stuff ready to fill his stockings at the last minute. We do silly/little stuff for stockings at my house/grandparents' house.

I'm glad that a) it's not a total surprise and some family members are prepared and b) he only told a couple of people. He literally found out yesterday that he was going to be able to come home, officially, and was able to book a plane ticket. He's been yes/no/maybe/yes/absolutely not with me over the phone for the last few months.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: How would you feel about this Christmas surprise? Update #113
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »
Wonderful news!!!  :D

Iris

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
Best Christmas present ever!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

thedudeabides

« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »
I'm glad he's coming home.  Merry Christmas to you all!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2012, 07:21:21 PM »
Woohoo! Merry Christmas! :)

Be sure to update us afterwards with how your parents reacted.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2012, 06:14:13 AM »
yay! i'm happy for you and your family.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
How wonderful! I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS