Author Topic: Feet on the chair  (Read 6139 times)

cass2591

• Global Moderator
Re: Feet on the chair
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 03:10:05 AM »
You know what though - it really isn't up to you to determine how a thread goes.  Some people do think getting a lot of opinions from different people (and how they FEEL about certain things) are worthwhile posts.

I'm not saying it is up to me to determine how a thread goes.  I agree that they would be worthwhile if they addressed the OP's question, which a lot of them didn't.  It's absolutely OK to address differing opinions and to even oppose what others are saying, but getting off topic by only focusing on such things isn't germane to the OP's original question.  I hate seeing the thread go off in another direction without actually getting to the root of the OP's problem, which, in this case, is how to address that it bothers her.  Sure, pointing out that it doesn't bother a lot of people and that just because it bothers her doesn't mean it isn't OK helps her more concretely form her opinion, but if it continues to bother her, a lot of those opinions fail to address her question.

Maybe I should apologize for trying to keep people on track in answering the OP's question, but I won't, because I don't think I did anything wrong.  You can feel free to ignore me and keep posting your opinions without addressing the OP's question's, that's also up to you and not me, but I personally think that will get the thread completely off track because people will argue about whose opinion is right/less wrong and will continuously not address the OP's original question.  I was trying to head off that, but if you think I'm erroneous in doing so, please feel free to ignore me.  I just wanted to help the OP get her questioned answered.

No, it's not your job to keep people on track because it's not off track. Posters are voicing their opinions that are applicable to the thread. Now, if someone posted something way off track, like I love riding my bike or something bizarre like that, it would be perfectly acceptable to say "huh?" or "I think you posted in the wrong thread", assuming there was a thread pertaining to bike riding.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 03:30:37 AM »
I don't see how feet on chairs are any grosser than bums on chairs, or any other number of things that land on chairs. Also, has the OP (and others who find it gross) never sat outside on the steps of a public building? Plenty of feet have trodden there. So I don't think sanitation is an issue; therefore if some people are squicked out by it, that is their issue to deal with. Bring some padding or something to put on the chairs you are about to sit on?

I think it's rude to put feet up in a formal setting, or to place shoes on something upholstered like a sofa, but hard plastic cafeteria chairs are fair game as long as nobody else is waiting to sit down on those chairs.

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
I have no problem with feet in shoes on chairs that are not being used.  Bare feet, or feet in hose, I have a problem with, only because I can really smell foot stink easily.

Years ago, I worked at a company that had a little reading nook set aside for people on their breaks.  There were two cushioned chairs up against a windowsill, and it was nice and quiet and I loved reading there on my lunch break.  An older lady used to come by sometimes, kick off her shoes, and prop her feet up on the windowsill while she laid back in the chair and closed her eyes.  Unfortunately, her feet stunk badly and I always had to leave once she did that.  If she'd kept her shoes on, I wouldn't have cared.

LeeLieLow

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »
It might help to clarify, are you disturbed by feet on a chair or legs on a chair.  In my past work life, in the break room/lunch room, I often put my legs up on a chair with my feet sticking off the edge.  Is this something that also bothers OP?

Betelnut

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »
At my work we have a pretty nice cafeteria to eat it as well as a outdoor patio.  There are a few of us that are repulsed by people putting up there feet on unused chairs.  Some keep their shoes on.  Some wear  socks and some barefoot.  Is there a polite way to ask them not to?  Or is it a management issue?

To directly answer the OP's questions:  IMO, it is not a management issue and there is not a polite way to ask them not to do it.  As many people have stated, it is a common activity to put one's feet (or legs, in my case) on a booth or chair in a casual situation. 

Although I can somewhat understand where the OP is coming from, I don't think management can even try to control this type of behavior and a personal appeal from the OP would simply embarrass the person who is being reprimanded.  It is generally not a good idea to reprimand another adult.

For what it's worth, I frequently sit in a booth at a restaurant and stretch out my legs along the entire length of the booth.  I guess my shoes are touching the seat in this instance!  This would be in a fast food type place.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »
In my entire working life I've never seen feet on chairs in the workplace. 

Some people might put feet on their desks and lean back but that never looked comfortable.

In the library, staff members would quite often commandeer a kick-stool and use that as a foot rest.

I don't think it would bother me unless the feet in question were in my face but sensitivities to these things differ. 

lowspark

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
To me, this issue falls more under "pet peeve" than "etiquette breach". I'd be pretty surprised if management actually agreed to get involved. And even if they do, how enforceable will this rule be? I would bet that neither management nor the employees of the cafeteria are going to be enthusiastic about reprimanding people for this offense. The only people who will actually call someone on it will be people like the OP who are bothered by it. And then you're right back where you started.

In my opinion, you should only ask someone to take their feet/legs off a chair if there are no other chairs available for you to sit on. And if you don't want to sit directly on the chair following the feet, then place a napkin or similar on the seat before sitting.

Even if this bugged me a lot, I wouldn't go to management with it. It's sort of petty and probably not something management wants to get involved with. I can't see an upside to this for the OP.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 10:29:56 AM »
Can I get a clarification please from the OP?

Is it feet on a chair that bothers you?  or bare feet on a chair?  or is it bare feet in a cafeteria setting, on a chair or not?

I think the answer will truly help you know which way to go. 

If a lot of employees put their feet up in a chair I think you should learn to deal with it, it sounds like it is acceptable to the masses.  Going to HR is going to make you seem snowflakey - even if you aren't. 

I don't think bare feet belong in a cafeteria area.  Then again if you have employees that wear sandal type shoes - what's the difference? 

If damage is being done to the cushions that is another issue entirely and should be dealt with by stopping the action that is causing the damage, feet in the chairs.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »
toots,
I didn't say you have to try to figure it out, just figure the person knows what they are doing, may have a good reason for it and let it go. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
It might help to clarify, are you disturbed by feet on a chair or legs on a chair.  In my past work life, in the break room/lunch room, I often put my legs up on a chair with my feet sticking off the edge.  Is this something that also bothers OP?
That's what I do, too, LeeLieLow.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

MOM21SON

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »
I admit, I hate feet.  IMO only babies have cute feet.

I think what bothers me the most is lack of professionalism.  I feel the same way about people resting their heads on the table where people put food.

This is definitely not a case of standing on our feet all day, we sit all day.  Many of my coworkers have stools for their feet at their desks, that doesn't bother me at all.

I really hadn't thought about it in a very long time because I had decided it was my problem.  But yesterday, someone was doing it and a coworker brought it up.

Isisnin

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »

this made me flash back on my mother.  She is the one who raised us kids not to put their feet on the furniture.  I eventually pointed out to her that she put her feet on the couch when she napped on it.  Her response was that she put her legs on the couch and hung her feet over the edge.  It's the shoes that step into who-knows-what and even if you wipe them off, something can remain on them (like on the sides or in the cervices) and get on the furniture. 

For the outside, there is a known risk to sitting anywhere - particularly if one chooses to sits on something that is for shoes, like stairs. 

For me, I'm with Mom21son, the OP. 

Mom21son, is it only outside that people put their feet on the chairs or inside too?  And is it a lot of people who put their feet on chairs?  The outside area has 48 chairs.  So about how many have feet on them during lunch?

Whether or not management would be responsive to your and your coworker, could depend on how frequent a problem this is.

mj

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »

I think what bothers me the most is lack of professionalism.  I feel the same way about people resting their heads on the table where people put food.

I agree with you, I would think it's terribly unprofessional.  I have personally not seen it in the workplace but have seen it in restaurants, movies and doctors offices. 

MOM21SON

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
It happens inside and out.  It happens more outside than in.  Yesterday there were about 25  people and 3 had their feet up._

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 01:49:43 PM »
I admit, I hate feet.  IMO only babies have cute feet.

This is definitely not a case of standing on our feet all day, we sit all day.  Many of my coworkers have stools for their feet at their desks, that doesn't bother me at all.

I really hadn't thought about it in a very long time because I had decided it was my problem.  But yesterday, someone was doing it and a coworker brought it up.

I think a lack of professionalism is something to be addressed by someone's supervisor (if they agree with your assessment). If that's the reason, I'd definitely just leave it alone.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"