Author Topic: I know I was wrong but...  (Read 4939 times)

Iris

Re: I know I was wrong but...
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
If one of my boys did something like that, I would be saying something to the person who bought it for them, something along the lines of "I am SO very sorry they misled you!" While taking the beers from them and telling the bartenders they are not to be served any more alcohol.

And the boys would be getting the "You are SO getting an earful when we get home!!!!!!"

Totally this!

It sounds like it was easier for the mother to be nasty to you, instead of dealing with her own daughter who had (A) lied about her age and (B) accepted a beer under false pretenses, knowing she wasn't of legal age.  Since the daughter did all this in full view of her own parent, it seems apparent that she's used to calling the shots with her mother.

Your error was completely innocent,  in good faith, and very understandable -- you did nothing wrong.

I was thinking that, too.

I suspect this is the cause of the dressing down, personally, not jealousy of the OP or anything else. I have seen parents who have no control over their children take the "well then I'll just have to control the whole rest of the world" route. She can't control her daughter, therefore she can't take the drink OFF her daughter, therefore it's the OP's fault that daughter is drinking  ::) I'm with Amava - I got up to plenty when I was young, but never when my mother was right there. No way, no how.

Short answer: You were fine, the two women were wrong.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

lmyrs

Re: I know I was wrong but...
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 04:31:07 AM »
As a previous poster mentioned, in Canada the drinking age is either 18 or 19 depending on which province you're in. The 17 year old was at most 2 years away from being legal. And she was with someone who had benn legal for 2 or 3 years. This was on the 17 year old and the 21 year old. I know if I met someone in a var who was with someone who was 21, it wouldn't even cross my mind that they'd be under age. I don't think the OP did anything wrong.