Author Topic: Not my dog's and I dont' care to take it to my house  (Read 4810 times)

Isisnin

Not my dog's and I dont' care to take it to my house
« on: October 11, 2012, 04:18:09 PM »
A neighbor is a real dog lover (has her own) and also quite the social butterfly.   Whenever someone passes by while walking their dog, she often invites them to sit with her on her porch and chat.  The dog gets lots of pets and a treat. 

Over the years, she and I have gotten quiet friendly.  Whenever she stops by my house, I tell her she can put her dogsí bag in my garbage barrel.  That is the norm around here between dog owners.  Sometimes she lets people use her barrels, other times she doesn't.  I haven't quite figured out the why and whyfores of that. 

Once or twice, I, and my dog, have gone to her house and she has pointed out a plastic bag of poop on the porch or porch stairs and has said I left it last time (by accident).  Even if Iím not entirely sure itís ďmineĒ,  I take it home and throw it in my trash.

I stopped by her house with my dog real quick 4 days ago.  Havenít been by since.  Today I saw a bag of poop on the grass to the side of her porch stairs.  I donít think itís mine (due to the kind of bag itís in), but I have a gut feeling that she moved it to the grass and left it there for me to take back to my house. 

It really struck me that she will pick the bag up, move it somewhere, and then leave it there for days.  If she walked another 15-20 feet, she could throw it in her trash barrel.  But no, she saves it for me to take back to my house.  (I donít know what she does for others who visit and forget their bags).

This is really eating at my craw. 

Anything thing polite I could say to her? 

Thanks

BarensMom

Re: Not my dog's and I dont' care to take it to my house
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
It is for this reason that I make sure my doggie bags are distinct (when Borders closed, I cleaned them out of small bags, so have enough for a few years).  OP, when your friend says "you left your bag behind," you can reply, "No, I always use (distinct) bags, that must belong to another visitor."

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:26:01 PM »
I agree with BarensMom - the problem on your end is that you can't unequivocally state that those aren't your bags.  Either change your bags so that it obviously isn't yours, or make sure that you never have your dog's bags near her home so that you can just tell her that you know the bag is someone else's.

BarensMom

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
OP, make sure your bags are displayed prominently, so that neighbor can herself view the color/type.   I always tie 2-3 Borders bags to Baren's leash so that people can see them.  It really makes a difference in people's attitude on our walks, because they know I take responsibility, unlike others who leave land mines all over the street. 

O'Dell

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 04:37:46 PM »
It might be best to only throw your own away from now on. I like BarensMom's idea of using distinct bags. If that's not possible, then maybe use a distinctive knot to close them so that you can point that out as an identifier.

The one that's there now? Personally I'd hate it sitting there, so in your shoes I'd toss it but then make a point of letting her know the new policy. It might be best to avoid any accusations of deception on her part: "I'm making a new policy of only my dog's poop in my trash can. I'm feeling a bit taken advantage of by people that seem to misplace their full bags." (Maybe a bit passive-aggressive, but sometimes there is a place for that in my opinion...gets your point across here, she can feel she's saving face if she's not accused or doesn't have to admit to it.)
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Isisnin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »
Thanks for all your ideas.  I'm going to shuffle them all together.

I'll purchase distinctive bags and use only those from now on.  Another bonus is that when someone(s?) in the neighborhood is leaving their dog's bags on various neighbors' yards.  By my using purchased bags, as BarensMom says, and not the local supermarket bags which as many use, it'll be obvious it's not me. 

And I'll use O'Dells phraseology when I next speak to my neighbor-friend (if this comes up). 

Thanks again!

doodlemor

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »
It would be easy enough to use a sharpie pen to mark your own bags, too - no one else would have bags with your handwriting on them. 

I would be silly and use google translate or something similar to write "xxxxx's poo bag" in some other language on them.  French words always look so elegant to me, even if they are not nice words.

I agree that this poo business is getting aggravating.  Just to be mischievous, I would wait her out as far as the current bag beside her porch goes.  Why don't you skip going there until she gives in and throws it away herself.

She sounds like an original character.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »
While she is a dog lover, I can understand why she wants people to take their own poo with them.  Why should her bin be the poo collector?  I don't see this as any different than walking the dog, picking it up and taking it home to toss in the garbage.  I think it is rude if people expect to leave their poo there.   It is one thing to forget it but I see nothing wrong with her asking people to take it with them.

NyaChan

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 12:34:14 AM »
This is actually what I was wondering (I don't have a dog so wasn't sure)  - Is this normal that people go to the trouble to bag up the dog poop and then randomly leave the bag behind?

BarensMom

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 12:57:52 AM »
This is actually what I was wondering (I don't have a dog so wasn't sure)  - Is this normal that people go to the trouble to bag up the dog poop and then randomly leave the bag behind?

Yup.  The dog owner will pick it up when people are watching, then toss it into a bush or behind a tree when no one is looking.  I see the dark brown/green ones all the time in my neighborhood, especially between the corner houses.  Hence, I bought so many white Borders bags, because (1) Borders is gone, so no one else around is using them; (2) they're a totally different color from the usual doggie bags; (3) I got an entire 12"x18" box full for a buck.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »
Which also explains why she doesn't want other's poo in her bin.  It does happen alot that people toss the bags when no one is looking or they try to dump them in other people's bins along the way.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 01:40:12 AM »

I have gone on many a public trail where dog owners will bag up the poo and leave it by the side of the trail, presumably with the intention of picking it up on the way back. I would imagine that sometimes they forget, and sometimes they just leave them anyway.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Isisnin

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »
Just to clarify, I do not leave my bag anywhere intentionally except in my own trash barrels.  When neighbor first told me years ago that I had left a bag there the last time I had been there, and to take it with me, I of course I took with me to be polite.  I donít recall whether or not it was my bag.  But, live and learn, I am hyper vigilant about not leaving a bag at her house.  I donít want to be rude - however accidentally.

I presume other people leave their bags there accidentally Ė just because they too are human.  Neighbor often invites people and their dogs into her home.  I've either already been inside when she invites someone else in and thus Iíve seen them leave their bag outside before they come in.  Or I've stopped by when there is already a bag outside and person & dog inside.

Doodlemor is right Ė this neighbor is an ďoriginal characterĒ.  She allows some people to use the trash barrels for dog bags and others arenít allowed.  This is per neighborhood conversation and my own eyes.  Oddly, when my dog does his business in her yard, neighbor lets me put the bag in her trash barrel.  Iím just not allowed to use it when I arrive with bag in hand.

Neighbor has insisted before that a bag type that I don't use was mine.  I was insistent that it wasn't mine as it was a newspaper bag and I don't have a subscription and thus don't have newspaper bags.  I "backed down" first 'cause I felt it was not worth fighting over and I was a guest in her home.

This is another newspaper bag.  Even though this isnít a frequent occurrence, apparently Iím just done with taking the blame for others. 

Between the rain, my schedule, and the fact that my dog has fleas (so Iím keeping him away from all dogs (and she has one) until itís under control, itíll be a few days before I stop by.  Itíll be interesting.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
I don't think anyone thinks you intentionally left your bag there.  From your post, it sounded like you don't think it is a big deal for people to leave their bags as she can just throw them away herself in her bin.  As I stated, she probably doesn't want her bin to be filled with others bags.  I can only imagine the smell in summer.  She may go about it in a strange way, but she is not wrong for expecting people to dispose of their own bags. 

YummyMummy66

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
So, it is ok for her to drop her bag into your bin, but you are not allowed to do the same?

I would no longer let her put her bag in your bin.  I would kindly tell her to take it home, as she requires you to do so.

Carry a few bags in your pocket when out for a walk.  Next time she says somethng about a bag that is not yours, pull
one out, look at your bag, look at said bag, and say, "I don't think so.  That bag of poo is not mine nor my dogs. See you
later" and turn around and go home.