Author Topic: Not my dog's and I dont' care to take it to my house  (Read 4906 times)

Isisnin

Re: Not my dog's and I don't care to take it to my house; update p.1
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
OP here. 

Well, I stopped by neighbor's house a couple days after this posting and the she did say that the dog bag there was mine and to please pick it up. 

Paraphrasing:

Me:  "It's not mine.  I can tell by the newspaper bag.  I don't use those bags since I don't have a subscription."

Neighbor: "It's is yours.  You left it here last time you were here." (which was 6-7 days prior) 

Me: "It's not mine.  But I'll pick it up this time and put it in the trash."  (The full trash barrel was on the curb as it was trash day-eve.)

Neighbor:  "No.  I don't want poop bags in my trash.  You have to take it home."

Me:  (refraining from pointing out that she does use her trash barrels for poop bags (her dogs and others')).  "I'll bring this bag home this time.  But in the future, I can only bringing home my own dog's "calling cards".  I'll purchase distinctive bags to avoid the confusion."

She looked surprised but didn't respond.

So yesterday, doggie and I stopped by and fortunately she wasn't home because I burst out laughing at the full yellow newspaper bag on her stairs! 

Again not mine.  Besides the fact that I don't use those bags, this time I could see the knot which was a regular knot.  I always use a loop knot in order to carry the bag by the loop and even reuse the bag if possible.  I didn't see the knot on the last bag as I hadn't wanted to touch it since it was so old and yucky.  I had just picked it up with another plastic bag inverted over my hand.

It's also occurred to me to start saying every time I leave her place to ask "did I have a bag with me?  do you see my bag."  then she will check to be sure I have my bag. 

So, of course, now I'm curious - who is the person leaving the yellow newspaper bags??  I'll be keeping my eyes open...

thanks everyone.

rain

Re: Not my dog's and I dont' care to take it to my house
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
I don't blame her for being irked, but she shouldn't blame you for someone else being tacky/rude.

btw - keep us updated
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

BeagleMommy

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
I'm betting someone in the neighborhood who was refused use of her trash can is leaving "presents" on her doorstep.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »
Another theory, if she takes her dog out for walks, do you know that she is diligent about picking up after it? Could a fed-up neighbor be passive-agressively returning her dog's leavings to her? If she has an aversion to poop bags in her garbage, could she be pretending that her own bags are yours just so she doesn't have to put them in her own trash?

Honestly, I would've stood my ground on taking even the first one home with me. She just learned that she can "win" this power struggle. I wouldn't be surprised if she continues to insist they're yours even after you have more distinctive bags. After all, you already told her the first one isn't yours because you don't subscribe to that newspaper and she continued to insist it was. I would avoid her house for a while. Polite and friendly but from a distance. Then she'll really be in a pickle to explain away the mysterious bags.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »
Another theory, if she takes her dog out for walks, do you know that she is diligent about picking up after it? Could a fed-up neighbor be passive-agressively returning her dog's leavings to her? If she has an aversion to poop bags in her garbage, could she be pretending that her own bags are yours just so she doesn't have to put them in her own trash?

This is what I was thinking.  After all, the bag is now a distinctive yellow, isn't it?  And the OP plans on using distinctive bags. 

Dorrie78

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »

Honestly, I would've stood my ground on taking even the first one home with me. She just learned that she can "win" this power struggle. I wouldn't be surprised if she continues to insist they're yours even after you have more distinctive bags. After all, you already told her the first one isn't yours because you don't subscribe to that newspaper and she continued to insist it was. I would avoid her house for a while. Polite and friendly but from a distance. Then she'll really be in a pickle to explain away the mysterious bags.
Yeah, I think it was a mistake to back down, even if it is just "one last time." Just avoid her for awhile, especially while walking your dog. Go with the friendly wave from the sidewalk, use a distinctive bag and in the future, definitely stand your ground. I'm sorry for her that strangers leave bags of dog poo on her porch, but why in the world would you feel like you should have to remove it? Just say no.