Author Topic: Stop Losing Weight!  (Read 4368 times)

yokozbornak

Re: Stop Losing Weight!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
I really just had to comment on your amazing weight loss.  I am currently obese.  I started working out regularly back in April and then started WW back in August.  I only know my weight loss since August, but I'm at 22 lbs right now.  My biggest fear is having the strength and stamina to keep this going.  Thank you for giving me one more reminder that I can totally do this.

You can totally do this!  I had many of the same fears, and I do still fear that I will fall back into old habits and gain it back.  i am just trying to take it one day at a time.  Good luck with your weight loss journey.

Thanks for all the good advice.  What's weird is that one of the people who made the comment yesterday is someone who I have only know for about 6 months, and I have only lost about 10 pounds in that time and then been at a stable weight for the past few months.  It was actually kind of strange which is why I start wondering if I look awful or sickly.  I do not want to be mean because I do think most people mean well, but I am not close enough to any of them to feel like their comments are appropriate. 

GratefulMaria

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
I really just had to comment on your amazing weight loss.  I am currently obese.  I started working out regularly back in April and then started WW back in August.  I only know my weight loss since August, but I'm at 22 lbs right now.  My biggest fear is having the strength and stamina to keep this going.  Thank you for giving me one more reminder that I can totally do this.

You can totally do this!  I had many of the same fears, and I do still fear that I will fall back into old habits and gain it back.  i am just trying to take it one day at a time.  Good luck with your weight loss journey.

Thanks for all the good advice.  What's weird is that one of the people who made the comment yesterday is someone who I have only know for about 6 months, and I have only lost about 10 pounds in that time and then been at a stable weight for the past few months.  It was actually kind of strange which is why I start wondering if I look awful or sickly.  I do not want to be mean because I do think most people mean well, but I am not close enough to any of them to feel like their comments are appropriate.

That's a really fine line.  Bean dip is great for the well-meaning, I think, much more so than an outright smack-down.  I definitely believe in responding with gratitude and courtesy to genuine concern, but depending on how well someone knows you or in what context, even concern can feel kind of intrusive and proprietary.

And MyFamily, go you!

bloo

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »

Hm. Weird. This person met you at close-to-normal weight or within-normal weight range and has noticed a weight loss in that time? My only guess would be that they don't understand why you're trying to lose weight since you look like you're at a normal weight range. Not having seen you at 100 lbs overweight maybe they think it's weird you're trying to lose weight. I have one girlfriend that looks great and is ALWAYS talking about losing 5-10 lbs. Which is also weird.

If you care to, you could mention that you used to be severely-to-morbidly obese and you are working to maintain your health. Or you can bean dip cuz, frankly, it's none of his / her business.

MyFamily: Hang in there! You're doing great. I've heard good things about WW.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »

It's possible you're getting a bit slimmer without losing weight. As muscle tone increases, it also weighs more. (You probably know this.)

But you may be redistributing some weight in a way that makes this person see a subtle change that you're missing because you've seen so MUCH change in the many months before.

I know my DD came home from college, and she looks slimmer to me. Not a lot, but a little bit.

redcat

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »

It's possible you're getting a bit slimmer without losing weight. As muscle tone increases, it also weighs more. (You probably know this.)

But you may be redistributing some weight in a way that makes this person see a subtle change that you're missing because you've seen so MUCH change in the many months before.

I know my DD came home from college, and she looks slimmer to me. Not a lot, but a little bit.

I've lost 62 pounds in the last 2 years, and am trying to lose a little more.  I started exercising a few months ago,  and I've dropped a dress size without losing much more weight, as what I've got has just toned up.  And I've had a few comments about not losing anymore weight too, though that has all been pleasantly expressed.

yokozbornak

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:02 AM »

I've lost 62 pounds in the last 2 years, and am trying to lose a little more.  I started exercising a few months ago,  and I've dropped a dress size without losing much more weight, as what I've got has just toned up.  And I've had a few comments about not losing anymore weight too, though that has all been pleasantly expressed.

I have been toning and have splurged on some new clothes that fit properly and work well with my figure (i.e. accentuate my smallish waist and hide my not-so-smallish hips) so I know that has something to do with it.  I guess I could understand if I were extremely thin, but that's not the case at all.