Author Topic: Correcting people on the spelling of your name  (Read 6220 times)

Darcy

Re: Correcting people on the spelling of your name
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 01:52:30 AM »
But I have a project manager back east that I deal with on a very irregular basis. Despite all the info in my e-mail signature she thinks I'm "Ms. Firstname" and working out of some obscure building in MD rather than AZ.

This could be because she's used to people sharing email addresses that have only one person's signature in it. I've encountered it a few times where I'm emailing one person, say Jane Doe, only to have Anne Smith reply through Jane Doe's email with Jane Doe's signature, like such:

"Sincerely,
Anne Smith

Jane Doe
Senior Manager
555-555-5555
X Company"

And with the email address clearly jane.doe@Xcompany dot com. I've had full conversations with Anne Smith through Jane Doe's email. Your project manager may have gotten you confused with someone else, but doesn't think to rely on the email signature as correct information.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 08:03:45 AM »
I have never seen a shared e-mail that was named for one person.

I've seen plenty of "webmaster@" or blah-blah-blah that are generic names, and I assume many people have access to those, but I've never encountered "anne.george@company.com" and e-mailed Anne to be answered by Sarah Tugworthy.
Words mean things.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 09:13:31 AM »
I'm not sure I agree with marvellous on this.

A person's preferred name is not a trivial thing.  To the outside world, a name is part of someone's identity.  Getting it right is important.

Exactly. I suppose it could be phonetically correct to spell my name Beonka (Bianca), but that's not my name, and I would definitely address it in a timely fashion.

It used to mildly irk my father that his own brother would spell his name wrong.  Or I should say that the way his brother spelled it is a valid spelling of the name, just not the right one. (Ie Stephen instead of Steven)

My son's having trouble with kids at school who keep misprouncing his surname on purpose.  DH's surname is one that, if two letters are switched, it is spelled the same as a tropical fruit.  Let' say our surname is Gauva, and people are always wanting to say Guava. DH keeps telling him to get used to it, it's going to happen for the rest of his life, whether people mean to or not.  I even had to recently call and get a new insurance card issued for one of my sons because they spelled it Guava instead of Gauva.

I'm always being called Ann or Anne when my given name is Annie.  And of course I always introduce myself as Annie cause that's how I like to be called cause well, it's my name. The majority of people will call me Annie, but there have been a few that insisted upon calling me Ann.  In high school I'd always sign my assignments and papers as Annie, and if someone called me Ann, I'd say "It's Annie" and then answer their question.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Chip2

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 11:42:28 AM »
But I have a project manager back east that I deal with on a very irregular basis. Despite all the info in my e-mail signature she thinks I'm "Ms. Firstname" and working out of some obscure building in MD rather than AZ.

This could be because she's used to people sharing email addresses that have only one person's signature in it. I've encountered it a few times where I'm emailing one person, say Jane Doe, only to have Anne Smith reply through Jane Doe's email with Jane Doe's signature, like such:

"Sincerely,
Anne Smith

Jane Doe
Senior Manager
555-555-5555
X Company"

And with the email address clearly jane.doe@Xcompany dot com. I've had full conversations with Anne Smith through Jane Doe's email. Your project manager may have gotten you confused with someone else, but doesn't think to rely on the email signature as correct information.

We can't share e-mail in the way you describe, and my signature block's on everything I send.

No, the project manager is just an idiot.   She asked (via e-mail) why I didn't attend a meeting at our site in MD.  I had to cc: her supervisor on the reply e-mail when I pointed out I'm in AZ.  The following week there was a repeat of the same situation.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 11:00:30 AM »
As far as my nickname, I really don't care how people spell it.  I use an alternative spelling that is not common (Jacque instead of Jackie).

I hate, when people mispronounce my full name, Jacqueline.  I pronounce it JAH-kwuh-linn.  Truthfully, I prefer the French pronounciation of JZAHK-leen (but I sound pretentious if I ask people to do that since I'm not French).  If I get JACK-linn or JACK-uh-linn  :P :-\ I will correct people.

cutejellybeen

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 02:51:52 PM »
I've mostly given up correcting people on my name - though in high school it was a big deal to me. I'm a Jennifer. Yes, one of those. In High School two of my three bffs were also Jennifers. We all went by Jen. One N. There were many Jenns too. I think in my grade alone there were 8-10 Jen/ns. Once it was found out which ones were Jens vs Jenns I at least rarely had problems with the correct spelling - as Jen was the dominant form.

Cut to now. My DH's TWIN sister is also a Jennifer (thank you 1981) and she goes by Jenn. Needless to say, from his side, and his friends I get Jenn. I get it - I don't say much about it unless asked, or if I'm signing something. (Now that I'm getting ready to legally take DH's last name we are getting into a whole new mess - as she is unmarried).

What gets me though is people at work. I sign all internal emails Jen. I get half back with Jenn. The worst was the coworker who called me Laura for 6 months - I tried to correct him at the beginning - but he was to busy and important to listen. it took his closest colleague saying my name in front of him for him to get it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
If I remember correctly OP is annoyed by people spelling her nickname incorrectly, not her actual name.  So from what I read, there is no issue in the pronunciation, just that she would prefer that they spell her nickname with a "Y" and not an "I".

And it is that they do not use her preferred spelling of the nickname.  There are a lot of people who do use the same nickname and do spell  it the way her coworkers have spelled it which explains why for some people it is stuck in their head the "wrong" way.  Somebody already wired their version of the "right" way into coworker's memory.

And for some people seeing their nickname spelled incorrectly like that would be a trivial matter.  It isn't for OP and that is fine but by the same token not everyone is required to place the same degree of importance on that kind of thing.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 02:16:03 PM »
IMHO, misspelling it the same way four times, not really paying attention, and unprofessional.  Misspelling it 4 different ways in the same letter, deliberate, and unprofessional.

I would contact a supervisor, they need to be made aware that the customer service is seriously lacking.