Author Topic: "It's such a shame your baby isn't a boy"  (Read 17071 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: "It's such a shame your baby isn't a boy"
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »
Evilbopper says (to baby): "It's such a shame your grandma isn't an idiot."  ...

???  But Grandma is an idiot!

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »

If Granny dosen't like that this baby is a girl, then Granny dosen't have to look at it.  >:(
Stewart/Colbert '16

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »
I had to listen my entire life to how my parents were told I was a boy at first, then how disappointed they were when they found out I wasn't.  Don't let that happen to your little girl, OP. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:50 PM »
Add me to the list who say that grandmother needs to be called out on this.  Nothing bothers me more in this situation than this antiquated sexist garbage.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »
I pitched a fit when my Sister was born. Seems I wanted a brother - an older brother like my best friend had. I was 3 and had a little difficulty with a couple of concepts. Sis brought me baby go bye bye (had a "walker" that you programmed by putting pegs in holes and it would take different paths around the room) - so I let her come in the house.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »
I pitched a fit when my Sister was born. Seems I wanted a brother - an older brother like my best friend had. I was 3 and had a little difficulty with a couple of concepts. Sis brought me baby go bye bye (had a "walker" that you programmed by putting pegs in holes and it would take different paths around the room) - so I let her come in the house.

Darn your parents!!  They just couldn't get anything right, could they?  What good is a baby sister when you wanted a big brother?  Simple request.  Why didn't they just listen?

The other thing you mentioned though, back when my kids were born mothers and babies stayed in the hospital three days.  So each day that we were gone, the new baby sent back gifts to the older sibling(s).  My kids were very accepting of the new babies, since hey!  How bad can that baby be?  It sends presents!   ;D

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
One phrase used in our family, said mildly, is "You've made your point." (Tone is everything here; if you can say it with a smile, maybe your grandmother will realize she's gone on too much about wanting a boy.)

And congrats!!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

DavidH

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
If she's a generally horrible person, the any of the various nuclear options suggested are fine, but you have to decide do you want to start a war over this. 

Another option is along the lines of what you've posted. Something like I understand that you wish there were also a boy, but we need to put an end to this before baby gets old enough to understand what you're actually saying. but I really do not want you voicing that in front of my kid. You've made her point, and now I would really like for you to drop it.

Pioneer

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
Congratulations on your new daughter! 

We have four daughters.  Our eldest was the first female in 7-8 generations of baby boys.  Once in awhile, someone asks my husband if he doesn't wish he had a son.  His response?  "Eh, they'll each bring me one someday."

I love that man.

And one of my favorite quotes?  "Boys will be boys.  Girls will become women." 
"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »

...   I don't know why some people think every thought that they have needs to be spoken.

I don't know why some people even have such thoughts!!   :-\

Many cultures place a high value on boy children. It's understandable that people brought up in those cultures would "have such thoughts."
Words mean things.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
Congratulations on your new daughter! 

We have four daughters.  Our eldest was the first female in 7-8 generations of baby boys.  Once in awhile, someone asks my husband if he doesn't wish he had a son.  His response?  "Eh, they'll each bring me one someday."

I love that man.

And one of my favorite quotes?  "Boys will be boys.  Girls will become women."

I nominate your husband for Man of the Year!

Pioneer

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
Thanks, I agree.
"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

LilacRosey

Re: "It's such a shame your baby isn't a boy", lilacrosey
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
Girls are bad now uh oh. Good luck I dont know how to handle this it sounds rough I'm sorry.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:12 AM »

...   I don't know why some people think every thought that they have needs to be spoken.

I don't know why some people even have such thoughts!!   :-\

Many cultures place a high value on boy children. It's understandable that people brought up in those cultures would "have such thoughts."

I was once, after being congratulated on my daughter, asked if we would be trying for a son next.  Um, no.  She's perfect. 

LeveeWoman

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2012, 07:01:13 AM »
When the ultra-sound technician showed me I was having a boy, I moaned and said, "Oh, no!" Everyone looked at me, some with a shocked expression. I said, "I don't know anything about boys!" All of my cousins but one were girls and I had a sister. I didn't know anything about sports or hunting or the other traditional male activities.

Hoo, boy! I've learned a lot about boys over the years, and I wouldn't trade him for a girl any day of the week.