Author Topic: S/O Making children attend parties they don't want to go to  (Read 7430 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Making children attend parties they don't want to go to
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 06:38:21 AM »
My middle son has a tendency of saying "I don't want to do that! It's going to be so boooooring!!" But when I've made him attend some things he's come out saying "Oh that was so much fun!"  ::)

Now, that said, I wouldn't send him to something like the example in the OP, but depending on the circumstances, I might.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Daquiri40

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
I'm with many others, I cannot spending a week at anyone's house that I did like! 

I was a shy kid too.  My mom didn't make me go anywhere I didn't want to as she was shy also.  I don't know if it was the best for me or not, but stay at someone's house for a week?  She wasn't that cruel!

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »

If I had to go to a party for a kid that was horrible to me, especially for a week, I'd act up so bad that they'd beg my parents to come and get me after 1 day.  >:D
Stewart/Colbert '16

SoCalVal

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »
another friend told me that the only reason birthday girl invited me was because her mom made her.  I was hurt at the time, though with time I realized the friend probably was jealous of me hanging out with the other girl.  She also told me once that the only reason birthday girl ever came over to my house was to see my baby brother.   I said "Well, he is cute!" I wasn't meaning to be witty, I just didn't know what else to say to that.

And this girl grew up to be my Evil Coworker who, for the first 2.5 years of my current employment, tortured and bullied me as much as she could get away with.  She one day told me that HER area's assistant director didn't like me at all and was only pretending to be nice to me when he says hi.  I thought it was the most ludicrous bizarre thing I ever heard and, really, rather random.  When he came in later that morning, I kiddingly said (in front of her), "So, Evil Coworker said you're only pretending to be nice to me and don't like me at all" (really, he'd always been friendly towards me and still is).  He said that wasn't true, and she said nothing.  To this day, she's still a jealous evil excuse for a human being.  I've figured out that, other than her husband, daughter and extended family, I don't believe she really has any friends.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
...   I've figured out that, other than her husband, daughter and extended family, I don't believe she really has any friends.

Are you sure there really are a husband and a daughter, much less an extended family?  She seems to have a propensity for making things up.

SoCalVal

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »
...   I've figured out that, other than her husband, daughter and extended family, I don't believe she really has any friends.

Are you sure there really are a husband and a daughter, much less an extended family?  She seems to have a propensity for making things up.

Of that, I'm certain (met the husband, talked to the daughter and extended family on the phone when they'd call).  Not sure why her family likes her, but I guess she saves her evil part for me...

MissRose

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 08:42:57 AM »
Children should learn there are events they have to go to even if they may not wish to so they grow up understanding there are times & events we have to be at.  I don't recall going to many events growing up for non family members, I went to a lot more things for various family members & holidays that I did not have a good time at but I dealt with it & moved on.