Author Topic: Calling the police.  (Read 4322 times)

Ereine

Re: Calling the police.
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »
We don't have a non-emergency number, which is a shame as it seems useful. There's 112 for emergencies and then you can try calling your local police station Monday to Friday from 8 to 5, I guess that you could get some from there for non-urgent things that still require police presence but at least their website hints that the number is more for asking about permits, asking about how your case is progressing or something like that. Plus the the phone number of the police station in my town has 10 digits, not really something you can easily remember when you see an abandoned vehicle or something.

The police does have a presence online, for example on Facebook and it's possible to message them (they use their private accounts for the work, I've subscribed to one of them, he's become a sort of an Internet celebrity here). I think that their main tasks are things that happen online, like sexual harassment and bullying but I guess that you could also ask what you should do in certain situations.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »
Ours are very responsive to the point of overboard.  I usually see them in pairs or threes.  But we only have I think 6,000 people in our town close to 2 huge major cities.  I wouldn't call them unless it's a true emergency as due to their overdoing it.  But it is very comforting to know that if I was in trouble, they would be there quickly and in force.

AreaWoman

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
I've lived in three major cities (East Coast, Midwest and West Coast) over the last 15+ years, and I've found that the response depends a lot on the city and what you are calling about.

- Most recently, a young woman showed up randomly at our door, claiming people were following her and that she was scared (she was probably mentally ill).  We called 911, and cops were there in less than 5 minutes.
- We've had various instances of bad behavior at the local park, such as doing drugs, which I've reported on the non-emergency line.  To my knowledge, no one ever showed up.
- When I was in Big Midwest City, I once had the cops and fire department banging on my door, claiming someone had called 911 from my apartment.  My apartment number was something like D309, and their dispatch instructions only said apartment D30, which would have been every apartment on my floor.  Ooops!  Of course, they did not believe me and wanted to "inspect my apartment."  I politely told them no.
- In various places, I've called to complain about loud neighbors (non-emergency only).  The only time I remember a response was when I heard someone threatening someone else.

dawbs

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 06:10:02 PM »
sometimes it's also just good to start a paper-trail.  I know the cops can't do anything about it right now, but showing a pattern can be key in the future.

(at work, If I call campus safety, someone will be there in under 5 minutes, if I say I'm uncomfortable/it's important.  Last time it was 3 from when I picked up the phone to when 2 officers were in front of me--so that includes the 'describing problem to the person on the phone' time.  I'm not sure a student would get as fast a response time though)

heathert

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
It would be difficult, at best, to get a fire truck or ambulance or police car up the "holler" where I live.  We live about an hour away from any hospital. We've never had a need for them, thank goodness, but that's the way the folks around here live. It is what it is.

thedudeabides

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »
Out here where I live, the cops don't have a whole lot to do. One minor car accident will usually bring out every single on-duty police officer in the area. If you call them for something, they usually show up within 5 minutes if it's serious, and 10-15 if it's a small issue.

I have only needed to call the police once. Some kids in the neighborhood were running around with a pellet gun, and they shot at my bedroom window.  I had gone to their house before calling the police, but was told by the child who answered the door that his parents were not home. The police showed up within 15 minutes. I never had an issue with those kids again, because the officer apparently scared the pants off of them and their parents. All of the kids in the subdivision seem to be pretty respectful of our property now, actually. I guess word spread fast that we were not to be messed with.

I'm glad that worked.  Some idiots almost killed some kids around here recently out doing the same thing for no good reason.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
I'm in Chicago, so they get there pretty quick for shootings and other emergencies.  Not so much when someone is blocking our driveway and no one can get in our out (we can't call for a tow, the police have to do it).  My FIL is not in great health and we've had to call 911 a couple of times.  They were here in minutes.