Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Travel Etiquette I would have never known....

<< < (8/8)

marcel:

--- Quote from: Mergatroyd on February 03, 2014, 02:55:47 PM ---One of my friends went to italy and made a "rock on" gesture at a man who bought her a drink, and he recoiled in horror. Apparently it's the sign of the devil there??
Rock on gesture is thumb extended with pointer and pinkie finger raised, middle and ring fingers down.

--- End quote ---
Thios gesture is the devils sign, also in rock culture. What I find interesting is that there are people using it as a rock on gesture without knowing the origins and meaning of the gesture.
Mind you, it is used to ward of the devil, not to worship him, but that is where the sign comes from in rock culture. It was popularized in rock culture by bands who had references to the occult

PastryGoddess:
Those people should probably not visit Texas, as that's the Hook 'em Horns sign as well

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: PastryGoddess on February 15, 2014, 04:08:50 PM ---Those people should probably not visit Texas, as that's the Hook 'em Horns sign as well

--- End quote ---
I'm pretty sure the 'Gim Aggie thumb is also used for a rude gesture in some countries.

Gwywnnydd:

--- Quote from: marcel on February 15, 2014, 12:05:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mergatroyd on February 03, 2014, 02:55:47 PM ---One of my friends went to italy and made a "rock on" gesture at a man who bought her a drink, and he recoiled in horror. Apparently it's the sign of the devil there??
Rock on gesture is thumb extended with pointer and pinkie finger raised, middle and ring fingers down.

--- End quote ---
Thios gesture is the devils sign, also in rock culture. What I find interesting is that there are people using it as a rock on gesture without knowing the origins and meaning of the gesture.
Mind you, it is used to ward of the devil, not to worship him, but that is where the sign comes from in rock culture. It was popularized in rock culture by bands who had references to the occult

--- End quote ---

It was popularized specifically by Ronnie James Dio, who was passing on a warding gesture his sainted grandmother (all Italian grandmothers are sainted, dontcha know) showed him when he was a wee lad.

Thank you, VH1 pop-up videos for that little factoid =).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version