Author Topic: Travel Etiquette I would have never known....  (Read 9002 times)

Only me

Travel Etiquette I would have never known....
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Hi

I often see questions about etiquette of other countries, when people are travelling. Ran across this article and thought it was really interesting.

http://travel.ca.msn.com/13-unusual-international-customs-you-never-knew-existed#image=15

Me me me

NotTheNarcissist

Re: Travel Etiquette I would have never known....
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »
Cool info. I was looking for India tips but did t see any. I have the most precious & amazing Indian friends who give us a rather overwhelming "thank you" present every time we do the tiniest favor for them. As I was brought up that "thank you" is sufficient for tiny favors, I feel a little awkward about it sometimes. Plus if they do a tiny favor for me, then I feel this pressure to go all out with a big "thank you" gift for them. I never know what is right.

marcel

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
Just do not assume that everything in that article is actually true.

Also, do not worry about giving sharp gifts in The Netherlands. Like in many places, including the USA, this superstition does exist, but it is not a commonly known superstition, so most people will not even think about it, even if they know the superstition.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:17:19 PM »
I have one kind of reversed.

Mom and a bunch of other Canadian and British (raised during WWII) scientists moved down here to work for Baylor College of Medicine. During the holy season of Football, there is the most holy day of Homecoming. This is celebrated by guys giving girls mums decorated with the school colors. The mums are larger than a person's head.

Mom and the others saw these kids going to eat or something with the mums - and were horrified. At first they thought there had been some bus crash or something killing a bunch of kids from the same school. They all associated mums with funerals. Mom said she remembered her great grandparents and grandparents coffins standing in Aunt Edith's house (at the time her grandparents' house) covered with mums. Even after living here in Texas for 40+ years, the displays made Mom a little sick every fall. (Both my parents had some bad memories/issues with funerals from their childhood).

Got me points in a University English class. I was the only one that realized the Mums in a story signified death not life.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:43:15 AM »
What is a "mum"?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:34:01 AM »
What is a "mum"?
Sorry chrysanthemum in Texas are just called mums
 Here is the type of thing I'm talking about http://indulgy.com/post/UkHCF1GKS1/years-ago-guys-used-to-give-their-homecoming-dat
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Pippen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
I had some Czech guys staying with me a few years ago around Easter. They were getting all excited about it as they have a tradition where you get to chase girls and beat them with sticks. Apparently is is marvelous fun. Well not here! I told them if they came near me with a stick they had better watch out.

http://www.thedashingfellows.com/easter/5800

snowdragon

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
I had some Czech guys staying with me a few years ago around Easter. They were getting all excited about it as they have a tradition where you get to chase girls and beat them with sticks. Apparently is is marvelous fun. Well not here! I told them if they came near me with a stick they had better watch out.

http://www.thedashingfellows.com/easter/5800

This is essentially the Czech version of the Polish Dyngus Day. It is all in fun at least when I've been part of it. It's a BIG holiday here and pussy willow fronds are easy to find around then. Traditionally, Boys hit the girls with willow fronds and water, and the girls responded by tossing cookery. And on Tuesday the girls got their shot at the boys.  http://www.dyngusdaybuffalo.com/whatisdyngusday.html
   Actually in Buffalo, it is HUGE, enormous even.  There's a parade and parties of all sorts all day long and far into the night. It's a riot. Come join us sometime!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »
What is a "mum"?
Sorry chrysanthemum in Texas are just called mums
 Here is the type of thing I'm talking about http://indulgy.com/post/UkHCF1GKS1/years-ago-guys-used-to-give-their-homecoming-dat

Those are just hideous. 

Mine was huge, but still attractive.  It pinned on the side and it had stuff going down my back as a counterweight and that gave it more of a sash look. 

LilacRosey

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:53:04 AM »
I try to treat people as I want to be tyreated and it seems to work well, but guides are great Thank you for the link!, lilacrosey

Ereine

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 03:11:02 AM »
The Finnish sauna thing is kind of true, though I'm not sure if people still invite their foreign business partners there (but headquarters of large companies probably all have saunas). It used to be that it was difficult for women to get ahead in business and politics partly because many deals were made in saunas which tend not to be unisex in such circles. Which brings me to the misleading part, the photo. People won't probably throw you out for wearing a towel but you're supposed to be naked and I think that the hypothetical foreign businessman might find out that he hadn't really impressed his hosts after all. Sometimes sauna invitations are really tests (especially when the invited is a foreign boyfriend of the daughter of the family), of if you are brave enough to get naked with other men (I don't think that women bother with such tests), if you can take the heat (it can get close to 100 C, I prefer around 80), if you are willing to get hit by a bunch of birch branches, if you will take part in stupid rituals afterwards, like rolling in the snow. I think that if you end up sitting on the porch of the sauna, wrapped in a towel and drinking beer with the host, you've passed the test.

Most Finns have access to sauna, even those who live in apartments. They either have one in their own apartment or there's a shared one in the building. They have such a long and important history that they are almost holy and in general people are expected to be respectful in them, speak in low voices, no eating. Of course there are always exceptions and for example students will have sauna parties. I've never been to one so don't know what happens there.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
You drink a lot, have sauna, usually mixed, drink some more and then drink. That's how all the student sauna parties I went to worked. Oh and roll in a snow if you have any around.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
Sorry; I don't get naked with friends let alone colleagues.  What is the graceful way to avoid that in Finland?

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
Sorry; I don't get naked with friends let alone colleagues.  What is the graceful way to avoid that in Finland?

You just say no thank you to going into one. No one is going to force you into anything.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
Be careful to check what the local obscene gestures are.

You really don't to wave at a Greek or make the OK gesture to a German. If ordering two of something in the UK, don't make a V sign with your palm facing towards you.
NE England