Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Homemade Cheese?

<< < (2/4) > >>

buvezdevin:

--- Quote from: Pippen on October 15, 2012, 04:22:10 PM ---I make ricotta and mozzarella from a cheese making kit I got of the internet. It's pretty easy and a lot lot cheaper than buying it.

--- End quote ---

Me, too for the mozzarella, kit bought through Amazon and fun to use, mainly needed the rennet and citric acid, but it cost no more To get the full kit, and happy to have the additional thermometer, cheesecloth and illustrated instructions.

For yogurt and ricotta, I have made each without needing anything more than vinegar (more certain acidity than lemon juice) and cheesecloth - and some yogurt from a prior batch for the starter, plus milk, of course.

Strained home-made yogurt, yummmmm.  Haven't tried labneh, but interested - OP, please let us know how it goes!

Pippen:

--- Quote from: buvezdevin on October 15, 2012, 07:29:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: Pippen on October 15, 2012, 04:22:10 PM ---I make ricotta and mozzarella from a cheese making kit I got of the internet. It's pretty easy and a lot lot cheaper than buying it.

--- End quote ---

Me, too for the mozzarella, kit bought through Amazon and fun to use, mainly needed the rennet and citric acid, but it cost no more To get the full kit, and happy to have the additional thermometer, cheesecloth and illustrated instructions.

For yogurt and ricotta, I have made each without needing anything more than vinegar (more certain acidity than lemon juice) and cheesecloth - and some yogurt from a prior batch for the starter, plus milk, of course.

Strained home-made yogurt, yummmmm.  Haven't tried labneh, but interested - OP, please let us know how it goes!

--- End quote ---

Now all I need is to find someone with water buffaloes I could milk and I will be sorted.

blarg314:

--- Quote from: Pippen on October 16, 2012, 12:36:13 AM ---
Now all I need is to find someone with water buffaloes I could milk and I will be sorted.

--- End quote ---

;D

There are two main reasons I haven't done rennet based cheeses at home. One is that the milk I can get locally isn't really all that great - I live in a very non-dairy oriented society, plus getting the rennet would be problematic, even by mail order, once you factor in international customs.  Another is the climate - very high humidity, which isn't great for cheese making.

I am thinking of learning how to make tofu, though. I've had homemade soft tofu, and it's as different from store-bought stuff as cheese whiz is from a nice ripe Brie.

Sophia:
Ricotta using the microwave.  Truly excellent. 

SleepyKitty:
Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes - I'm a complete cheese addict so it makes sense to me to start making my own. Plus, mozzarella is so expensive, and I eat so much of it! If the Labnah goes well, mozzarella is the next step. I haven't ever made my own yoghurt, just because I really don't eat it, but I might start just for the sake of making cheese if I can get the hang of it.

Someday I'd like to get into rennet cheeses, but I'm thinking years in the future when I have my own grown-up house... and hopefully a mini-farm with a dairy cow and a goat.  ;) I love goat cheese so much it should be illegal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version