Author Topic: Rude to ignore FB game requests?  (Read 6127 times)

Fleur

Rude to ignore FB game requests?
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:58:04 PM »

I use FB mostly for keeping up with people who I can't see on a day to day basis, and also for groups and events. I do not play games and never have done. One of my friends has sent me six requests to play 'Diamond Dash'. I have no interest in this game at all. Is it rude to keep ignoring, or should I send a brief but friendly message explaining my non-interest in games?

Amava

Re: Rude to ignore FB game requests?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:07:48 PM »
Definitely not rude; and you can block the game if you no longer wish to receive invitations for it. :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »
You may or may not post a general status indicating that you're not interested in game requests and won't be responding to them, but you're just fine just ignoring the requests. Heck, go ahead and block the game app, and you won't even have to see them. And it's not rude in the least.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »
It's not rude. It's survival.

Also, those requests are 90% automated, so it's also not real.

Carpathia

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »
I have always completely ignored game requests, and I'm still not sure if people are choosing to send them to me specifically or the games just sends them to random friends.

I'm interested in seeing responses but nobody has ever said/messaged me to ask why I never respond. I have defriended people because all they EVER do is send me requests though - they don't post, comment or like on my wall or their own.

I don't think it's rude to ignore - I hope it isn't!

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »
I agree with the PPs.  Ignore the invites and, if you're tired of getting them, just block the game.  That'll stop you appearing in their list of invitable friends.

If your friend is anything like one of mine, s/he might email you saying they'd tried to send you an invite to play but couldn't, and asking why not.  I replied I'd blocked the game and didn't want to play it.  End of story.

Anyone who gets upset that you don't want to play a specific game (or any game) on Facebook needs a reality check.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »
I have pretty much everything blocked from FB. when I first joined, you could send peole things, drinks, flowers, etc. Don't know if you still can or not.  I'd get those all the time, along with game requests. I don't trust any of their apps, games etc. so I have them all blocked. And ignore any game requests that seem to have been slipping through lately.  No one has ever commented or asked why they either can't get through the request, or why I haven't responded.

FB is yours to do with what YOU want. You don't want to play games, block all apps, problem solved.  But its certainly not rude.

thedudeabides

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »
No, it's not rude to ignore them.  Either block all game requests or delete/block them individually as they come in.  It won't hurt your friends' feelings, and it may well be the games doing something stupid automatically.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »
In general those requests are more or less automated. My guess is that for people who get annoyed they need to realize it just happens when people play games - they didn't choose you to get those messages.

O'Dell

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »
I play FB game(s). Just ignore them. I get invitations that I ignore and have had mine ignored. No biggie. If it bothers you, block the game. I have a lot of the games that friends play but I don't blocked. That seems to take away the option for them to even send you invitations/gifts.

If you don't know how to do that: click the little down arrow to the right of the "home" button > Privacy Settings > Blocked People and Apps

The only thing I find rude about people not playing games is when they rant about people who play games. PA much? :P
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 07:13:27 PM »
Ignore them or block them. I avoid sending them when I play games. Unfortuantly last weekend I knocked the Ipad off the chair. When I grabbed it, I hit the button that spammed everyone with an invite from the game I had been playing. Walked into the teacher's lounge Monday and was yelled at buy a co-worker. co-worker was blocked as soon as I got home.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MrTango

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 07:20:35 PM »
Rude to ignore?  I hope not.  I report them as Spam and if I've gotten more than a couple invites from any particular friend, I block all invites from that friend.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »

I use FB mostly for keeping up with people who I can't see on a day to day basis, and also for groups and events. I do not play games and never have done. One of my friends has sent me six requests to play 'Diamond Dash'. I have no interest in this game at all. Is it rude to keep ignoring, or should I send a brief but friendly message explaining my non-interest in games?

There is an option to block all game requests.  You simply won't appear on their list to send requests to.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
It's not rude to ignore those.  And it might not even be intentional on their part, because when you're playing one of those games and inviting people to be your friend/neighbor, occasionally a game will send a message to everyone on your friends list whether you want it to or not.  I play a couple games, and I try to keep track of who plays and who doesn't, but I'm sure I slipped up once or twice.  And even a FB gamer can get annoyed with requests for games they don't actually play. 

Viscountess

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 08:56:39 PM »
Another vote for not rude.  I ignore 99% of game requests.  Most of the game requests tend to get sent to everyone on the friends list automatically.
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."