Author Topic: Co-worker stealing referrals  (Read 5551 times)

ILoveMyCello

Co-worker stealing referrals
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »
I have worked for a large bank for 2 years as a teller. I recently switched offices to cut down on my commute time. I have been at my new office approx 4 months.
As a teller, I have to get 10 referrals a month. Most of the time it is easy to get these through walkin customers. A referral is defined as a checking account loan or mortgage. If I don't get 10, there is a chance I would have to sign something that would go in my file. My old office was not as strict as this office is and so I was never required to sign anything. However I am going to use some of my vacation time soon and I only have 5 referrals. I am sure I will have to sign something.
Here's my problem. There is a screen on the computer that will allow you to see all new accounts that are opened. Yesterday another teller and I caught a coworker teaching a new girl how to steal referrals off of the screen. Keep in mind this teller has 11 referrals and the rest of the tellers have 2. I have a huge problem signing something when this lady steals referrals and I am honest about my referrals. What should I do?

MyFamily

Re: Co-worker stealing referrals
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
Report what you saw the teller do to a manager - both you and the coworker who saw her.  Don't go in all angry or upset, but let the manager know what is happening.  If you are told to sign something, you should include a note on the write-up about what you saw.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »
I would talk to the manager.   Also, does the computer have a log?  That is, does it track changes that were made so they can see if the referral person was changed?

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »
Yes, go right to your branch manager. 

Lynnv

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 01:52:54 PM »
Speaking as a former teller and new accounts representative, I would report this to my manager immediately.

As a former manager in a bank (lead teller, then supervisor, then branch manager), I can say that you should report this behavior to management.  If I found out you knew it was going on and didn't report it, it would reflect very badly in your annual review and, if HR would let me, I would write you up for failing to report it.  In our bank, referrals meant bonus money.  Stealing referrals was no different from taking a coworkers purse and stealing $20 from it.  And I would hope expect my employees to report that kind of theft. 

The first time your manager hears about this should NOT be when you are getting a reprimand for failing to meet sales goals.  Since you can be written up for failure to meet goals, I presume that this can lead to further disciplinary action.  Keeping silent when an employee is setting you or another employee up to be written up and (eventually) possibly fired is not okay. 

You should be sure to keep records of your referrals so that, if/when they disappear, you can show that you really did meet your goals.  But you should absolutely report this to your manager/lead teller/supervisor (whatever the appropriate chain is in your bank).    Your management team cannot see everything, especially if the person doing this is careful to try to hide it.  If you saw a coworker stealing $100 from another's drawer, causing them to get written up/fired, you would report it, right?  This isn't different.  They are causing you or a coworker to get written up/fired by stealing referrals.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

deadbody

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »
Speaking as a former teller and new accounts representative, I would report this to my manager immediately.

As a former manager in a bank (lead teller, then supervisor, then branch manager), I can say that you should report this behavior to management.  If I found out you knew it was going on and didn't report it, it would reflect very badly in your annual review and, if HR would let me, I would write you up for failing to report it.  In our bank, referrals meant bonus money.  Stealing referrals was no different from taking a coworkers purse and stealing $20 from it.  And I would hope expect my employees to report that kind of theft. 

The first time your manager hears about this should NOT be when you are getting a reprimand for failing to meet sales goals.  Since you can be written up for failure to meet goals, I presume that this can lead to further disciplinary action.  Keeping silent when an employee is setting you or another employee up to be written up and (eventually) possibly fired is not okay. 

You should be sure to keep records of your referrals so that, if/when they disappear, you can show that you really did meet your goals.  But you should absolutely report this to your manager/lead teller/supervisor (whatever the appropriate chain is in your bank).    Your management team cannot see everything, especially if the person doing this is careful to try to hide it.  If you saw a coworker stealing $100 from another's drawer, causing them to get written up/fired, you would report it, right?  This isn't different.  They are causing you or a coworker to get written up/fired by stealing referrals.

I will quote all of this cause I am almost exactly the same (former bank manager) this is not at etiquette issue.  Report it to your manager ASAP.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
That's awful.

I worked at a bank that is now no longer in existence.  One of the sales staff had reprogrammed the fax machine (where all of the outside brokers sent their requests) to come directly to another private fax machine either at his house or to his email.

Millions.
"We ate the pies."

LilacRosey

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 12:41:17 AM »
I think you should complain to your boss that isnt right  :'(, lilacrosey

mmswm

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 01:08:15 AM »

I've also been a bank employee and have to agree with this 100%
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Redsoil

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 07:11:25 AM »
Actually, LilacRosey, is there a particular reason you always "sign" your posts?  I keep thinking you're talking to someone else when the name appears at the end of the post, only to realise it's you signing off.  It's just a bit jarring, and we can see who is posting each time anyway.  Hope it's okay for me to point out.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

ILoveMyCello

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
Thanks for the posts. I posted this in an etiquette forum because there is no real procedure or guideline for referrals. It is all per manager discretion. Some hand them out and some don't, and my manager does a little of both. I am going to sit down with her for my monthly coaching when I come back from vacation Monday and I will discuss the issue with her then.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »
Great!  Make sure to rehearse in your head what you would say if the boss sort of downplays the issue....

"If we are going to get rated on our ability to get referrals, it has to be a fair process.  I think that overall the rate of referrals might actually end up going down if you know someone can just steal your referral."