Author Topic: Following up on a normally reliable tradesman  (Read 1512 times)

Pippen

Following up on a normally reliable tradesman
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:27:09 PM »
I may be way over thinking this situation but I need it resolved over the next 2 days or I am in trouble.

My best friends ex husband is contracted to do some work on my place each year which I am required to have done by local bylaws. He did it when they were still together and he continued to do it after their divorce and I had a chat with her and explained why I would not be switching to another company and she totally understood business was business and was fine with it.

I rang him on Monday morning and spoke to the office lady saying could he please send one of the lads around to do the job and normally when this happens they are there the very same day and just get on with it. It is the type of job he can slip in among the other things he has on as it is fairly quick, about an hour and doesn't involve and planning for special equipment or training. It also has a very short window which it can be done in and he knows this which is why he is so accommodating but I do pay a premium because of it.

OK I know it is only Wednesday morning (here anyway) but to not have heard from him is very unusual. One of the reasons I think this might be is because my friend has now remarried and is expecting a baby with her new husband. Having children was a bone of contention in their marriage so I can imagine he wold be pretty upset about it even though he now has a new partner. Double kicker BF and new husband now live in the house from the first marriage and it is only 5 doors down from mine so I think he may be avoiding having to deal with seeing the house or worse his ex and or the new husband as he always comes round to inspect the work when it is finished.

I really need this work done but I don't want to hassle him or put him in a situation he may be uncomfortable with. The other alternative is to do it myself but it is a flipping nightmare and would take all day which is why I get him in to do it in the first place. Plus when I do it it looks like a dogs breakfast.

How do you politely tell someone to get a wriggle on as you need to make other arrangements when you think they may be avoiding you?

Amara

Re: Following up on a normally reliable tradesman
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:34:09 PM »
I would just approach it as I would any other tradesman, by leaving off any emotional attachments. Call him and "check in" when he is coming to do the job. Nothing more than a professional request.

O'Dell

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
If I'm reading you right, you didn't speak to him, you spoke to someone at the office and who knows where the ball might have been dropped. I say call again and ask what's up. Will someone be able to do it within the time frame or should you go ahead and find someone else this year? As Amara said, just approach it as if it's any other business transaction. Even if he's uncomfortable about his ex, he can save face and say he's too busy, but my money is on the message not getting to him or to one of the lads.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »
I would just approach it as I would any other tradesman, by leaving off any emotional attachments. Call him and "check in" when he is coming to do the job. Nothing more than a professional request.
agree.

and maybe when you call back, you can give him two or three alternative time slots, so that he will be forced to give you a reply, e.g., "tom, We are home all day on Saturday, and will be home on sunday except from 12 to 2. which day suits you? sunday? great, so will that be in the AM or after 2? etc"

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »
Call up and say "As you know, I have to have "service" done by Oct 19th and I really want your company to do it since you always do such a great job.  However, the deadline must be met so let me know if you can accomodate me or not so I can make other arrangements. If I don't hear from you by Oct 17th, I will be using another service."

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »
If I'm reading you right, you didn't speak to him, you spoke to someone at the office and who knows where the ball might have been dropped. I say call again and ask what's up. Will someone be able to do it within the time frame or should you go ahead and find someone else this year? As Amara said, just approach it as if it's any other business transaction. Even if he's uncomfortable about his ex, he can save face and say he's too busy, but my money is on the message not getting to him or to one of the lads.

I agree with this. Handle it as a business transaction. Forget the personal involvement.

How would you handle the situation with any professional business that no longer meets your needs? Handle this the same way.

Pippen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
I called him and he says he is getting slammed with work most of it contracted by the council who insists the work be done in this ridiculously narrow time frame. So guess who has her old jeans and safety goggles on and should be up a ladder instead of playing around on the internet.