Author Topic: The embellisher  (Read 6381 times)

mj

Re: The embellisher
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »
Why do we give embellishers so much slack when they are plain out-and-out liars?  Do we need that much entertainment in our lives?

Maybe it's semantics, but when I started reading some of the examples in this thread about embellishers all I could think was that's just a liar lol.  There's an art to storytelling and just lying isn't it.

Jones

Re: The embellisher
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »
I was thinking the same, to be honest.

Embellisher: The guy I used to work with who claimed that the character Popeye was based on his great uncle. He'd come up with new and various ways that Popeye's old cartoon episodes fit into his great uncle's life. Great Uncle Popeye sounds like he had quite the difficult life, but some of the cartoons had to be stretched a bit to fulfill "real" requirements. It was entertaining.

Liar: A girl who stunted my friendship base for quite a while, as I felt it would be rude to drop her like a bad banana but other people avoided her like the plague. At one point in our middle school career she insisted she had a contract to open onstage for Britney Spears, but one of the Backstreet Boys had gotten her pregnant so she couldn't fly to fulfill the contract, and Britney was coming to our town to perform instead. Britney never appeared, so far as I know none of the BBs ever came to our town, no baby was ever born and this girl's music career has yet to take off.