Author Topic: Not answering when someone calls at a certain time  (Read 8232 times)

SuperMartianRobotGirl

Not answering when someone calls at a certain time
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:17:05 AM »
Am I handling this OK?

I have two kids, and 8 pm is the busiest time in my day. I have repeatedly told my sister to not call at  8 pm, and then that I could not answer at 8 pm. Finally I stopped answering at 8 pm.

I do check my phone to make sure it isn't an emergency call, but when I see it's her, I slide the little red phone icon so it stops ringing at get on with what I'm doing.

Well she can tell since it stops ringing and goes to voice mail (no she doesn't leave voice mail - she just calls over and over) that I'm screening her calls, and she got angry about it and said if I'm able to check who is calling, I'm able to answer her calls, and that I'm being rude.

I told her that I check to make sure there isn't an emergency, but I've told her numerous times that 8 pm doesn't work for me as a time to chat, and I will continue to not answer her if she calls at 8 pm. I asked her why it's always 8 pm anyway, and she said it's a good time for her. I repeated that it isn't a good time for me, so I wouldn't answer her calls at that time. She said that she might have to call with an emergency, and I told her that in that case, if it's at 8, she should text. She said what if she isn't able to text due to the emergency and has to call, and I told her if it's that bad she should call 911. That was about the end of that conversation, but it was strained.

If she doesn't call at 8, she calls right at 6, when I'm putting dinner on the table, so the next busiest time of day. This is very frustrating for me. She doesn't work business hours so she could call at 11, or 1, or 2, or 3, when things are usually pretty quiet, but she likes to talk in the evening I guess.

O'Dell

Re: Not answering when someone calls at a certain time
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
Your sister is being a pill. You aren't rude to not answer. She is rude to keep calling and bugging you about not answering. (Although I do wonder why you make it obvious you are screening your calls. I don't think it's rude, but it does seem to exacerbate the situation.)

Do you call her when it's convenient for you? Either the 2 of you will chat and there is no need for an 8pm phone call *or* it will be inconvenient for her and you can deliberately echo what she's said to you and maybe she'll get it finally.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

MrTango

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
You aren't being rude at all.  It's your phone, and you get to decide when to use it and when not to use it.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
If I were you, I would simply turn off (or mute) my phone at 8pm and turn it back on when it is convenient for me to chat. 

What are the odds that a terrible tragedy is going to strike at precisely 8pm on any given night?

You are not rude not to answer, no more rude than if you were out somewhere at 8pm and forgot your phone at home.

wheeitsme

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
No.  It is not rude to not be at anyone's beck and call  ;) at any time they want.   You have told her when you are not available.  If she chooses to call you at that time, expecting you to pick up the call is rude.

We always know not to call my brother during dinner or after 9pm.  He prefers not to interrupt his dinner, and after 9 he's in bed.  It's a personal preference of his, and we respect it because, well... because that is the loving and polite thing to do.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:07:10 PM »
You know, it would be really convenient-for me- to call my parents at 9am on Sundays. I'm up by then but not going anywhere and so it's a perfect time to call.

Except. They are four time zones behind me. That's a 5am call for them. It would be incredibly inconsiderate of me to expect them to give up their sleep so I can chat with them, when I can call them later in the day.

Your phone is for your convenience.

She said that she might have to call with an emergency, and I told her that in that case, if it's at 8, she should text. She said what if she isn't able to text due to the emergency and has to call, and I told her if it's that bad she should call 911.

Has she ever heard of the boy who cried wolf?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
If I were you, I would simply turn off (or mute) my phone at 8pm and turn it back on when it is convenient for me to chat. 

What are the odds that a terrible tragedy is going to strike at precisely 8pm on any given night?

You are not rude not to answer, no more rude than if you were out somewhere at 8pm and forgot your phone at home.

This.
Turn off your phone at times that are inconvenient for you and when sis complains, tell her that it's not up for discussion and that you get to determine when you want your phone to be on and when you want it to be off. Period.

And quit answering "what if" questions.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
I'd figure out what was a good time for me to chat, and start calling her then. Either it would be an okay time for her as well, and you could have the conversations at your convenience, or you would get to make the point that your convenience is as important as hers. (I figure this is only evil if I deliberately picked times that I knew I'd be waking her.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »
Oh, it's convenient for her? That's nice! However, I'm not sure why her needs should take priority over yours.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »
The thing is, if she stopped calling at 8pm, and then if she did call one day, you would probably answer, right?  Because then you would think that it was an emergency.  But, when she always calls at 8pm because it is a convenient time for her, that is what you are going to think it is.

Remember, just because someone is annoyed at you, doesn't mean it is rude. 

Me, I would make sure to call her on a regular basis.  For one thing she will have less to talk about in the evening.  Bonus points if you can find a time that is convenient for you and not her.  Then wait until she complains.  (But only do this if she continues to call you at 8pm or 6pm) 

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
To me, it sounds like a power play on her part.  She knows that it is the worst time to call, and yet she does it anyway.

As far as it being an emergency: tell her that she can call at 8 pm ONLY if it is an emergency, and you promise to answer.  However, if you answer the phone at 8 pm, and it is not an emergency, you will not answer her at 8 pm ever again, no matter the circumstances.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
My mother once told me she'd call me at 8 and I told her "Sorry, that's not a good time, I'll be putting the boys to bed at that time."  Sure enough she called at 8 anyway just wanting to chat and I told her again it wasn't good time and would call her back when I could chat. 

I hung up and went about my business, then when I had them all tucked in I called back and it wasn't even anything that couldn't have waited even another hour.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

doodlemor

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »
To me, it sounds like a power play on her part.  She knows that it is the worst time to call, and yet she does it anyway.

This is absolutely true.  My mother used to do this to me when I was expecting my first child.  I asked her please not to call on Sunday afternoons, because I was tired then and generally napped because I was still teaching full time.  She ignored my requests and unsympathetically told me to just go back to sleep after she had woken me up with her calls.  I started leaving the phone off the hook on Sundays.  [This was before the days of on-off switches and phones were hard wired right into the jack.]  I became the recipient of many lectures saying that it was very bad for the phone lines to be off the hook, but I was able to get some extra rest.

We have no hesitation about turning off our phones, the ringer, or the answering machine when we don't want to be disturbed.  We've been doing this now for more than 30 years, and have not missed any emergency calls so far. 

My point is that the phone is there to serve you, not your sister or anyone else.  Turn if off after supper every night if you want, and have a peaceful evening.  Your sister is rude, and way over the line.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 01:01:01 AM »
As an aside, if your phone is an iPhone, you can press the button on the top of the phone to mute it when a call goes off. The call is still active, so she won't know she's being screened, it just doesn't bother you any longer.

I use that all the time at work if somebody calls while I'm in a meeting, because even the vibrator is LOUD!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

SuperMartianRobotGirl

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
OK. I've decided to just turn the phone off in the evenings. :)