Author Topic: S/O Getting people to stop an upsetting conversation near you  (Read 1791 times)

Syfygeek

At the moment, there are 5 people in front of my desk loudly discussing politics. 1 VP, 2 directors, a dealer and an editor.

And I'm trying to work...
That's my purse! I don't know you!

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Getting people to stop an upsetting conversation near you
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »
well, like the advice given on the other thread:

Excuse me, would you mind taking this [elsewhere? to the break room? hallway?]? I have to [get on a call/crunch some numbers/hold a meeting] in a minute. Great! thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »
I work in a giant cube farm, approximately 4 floors of it.    Along one wall on my floor, you have a corridor with window walls on one side, and cube walls on the other side.  Nearly everybody who comes in here comes down that corridor at some time in the day.   There are signs posted every couple of feet down that wall that says,

WE ARE LISTENING!
Please take your phone calls into the lounge.

Maybe you should post some kind of sign on your outside cube wall, asking people to please be quiet since you are working.

Syfygeek

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
I'm not in a cube, I'm in the main office/reception area.

Luckily (unluckily) I have a desk with a raised counter on the front, and if anything is on the counter, it's hard to see me unless you're directly in front of my desk.

At one point, the VP called a director names, and tried to enlist the dealer in badmouthing her and her political choices.

When a visitor off the street came in and my VP didn't interrupt his diatribe, I could have crawled under my desk. It would have been a "spirited debate", if it had been in the break room, not the first point of contact.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »
I vote to see suggestions in the other thread.  Most of those would work.

I'm surprised to hear that they aren't being slammed for talking politics on company time.  Noplace I ever worked allowed that.