Author Topic: Community rooms in apartment complex  (Read 2859 times)

Adelaide

Community rooms in apartment complex
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
The apartment complex I live in is only for students, both graduate and undergraduate. There is one communal room, labelled "Business Center" that I like to go in and do my work. It has whiteboards, power hookups for computers, free printing, and screens so that you can magnify what's on your laptop. There are two tables whose seating is centered around the two magnification screens.

I typically take my things and study at one of the tables, leaving the other three seats open at the table for other people to sit down and study at. Last night at the second table, two girls sat down and started talking. And talking. And talking. Then their friend joined them, and they kept talking instead of studying. Normally people talk quietly as they work, but these three were having a social conversation punctuated with several loud laughs and I couldn't study, even with earplugs in.

My question is this: I know how to politely say "could you please lower your voices, I am trying to study" but I'm unsure if I have the right to ask them to do so in this communal space or if it would be appropriate. If you were them, would you think the request is a valid one? Would I be out of bounds in asking them to be a little quieter?

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Community rooms in apartment complex
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »
I think you're fully in the right to do so.  Is there no lobby or lounge they can go to, or even their own apartments?

Adelaide

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »
I think you're fully in the right to do so.  Is there no lobby or lounge they can go to, or even their own apartments?

They brought their things in to study and we even exchanged a few words about how pressed for time we are as law students, but they eventually started socializing. There is a lounge on every floor that just has a tv and couches. I'm just not sure if the fact that there are lounges automatically means I can ask them to be quiet in another communal area.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:34:14 PM by Adelaide »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
You can certainly ask them, as a request. You can't "ask them" as a "reminder of the rules."

Adelaide

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
You can certainly ask them, as a request. You can't "ask them" as a "reminder of the rules."

I was thinking more along the lines of custom or how appropriate the request would be. For instance, I wouldn't sit in a bar and ask people to quiet down because I was studying, I'd be a snowflake. But in this case I feel like the line is less clear.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »
I think you need to clarify with someone just what the purpose of the room is.  If it is multipurpose, such as for socializing, studying, meetings, etc, you may have to live with it or find a another place to study.  If it is intended for studying and quiet work, you could discuss the problem with whomever is in charge of the room.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »
honestly, it's labeled a business room. if they were conducting a business meeting, or something, that might make sense. But she could certainly say, in the tone one uses when asking a favor, "I came in to study because I need some quiet. Could I ask you to take the social part of your conversation to one of the lounges?"

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
We used to live in a complex where the business center was not a study room.  It was a business center where you could go and use the equipment but it wasn't reasonable to hold a business meeting in the room nor ws it expected to be a quiet room for others to study in.

I think you should clarify with management as to the exact purpose of the room before you ask others to be quiet. 

LilacRosey

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »
I think you should just say Hey, would you mind keeping it down a bit please? Thanks. They really should be keeping it quieter in a business office., lilacrosey

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 11:31:09 PM »
We used to live in a complex where the business center was not a study room.  It was a business center where you could go and use the equipment but it wasn't reasonable to hold a business meeting in the room nor ws it expected to be a quiet room for others to study in.

I think you should clarify with management as to the exact purpose of the room before you ask others to be quiet.

Agreed. I would never think of using a business room as my study space any more than I'd use it as socialization space. I'd ask about the room first to get the purpose clarified. Once you do, you can politely remind them of the rules and ask them to move on to the lounge.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »
I agree that the space doesn't sound like one that is only for quiet study. If there are signs up or management says, then you can ask them to keep down, but if it's a neutral space, it makes more sense for the one person who wants quiet to move their room that for the 3 people who want to chat to move elsewhere.

LA lady

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »
I agree that the space doesn't sound like one that is only for quiet study. If there are signs up or management says, then you can ask them to keep down, but if it's a neutral space, it makes more sense for the one person who wants quiet to move their room that for the 3 people who want to chat to move elsewhere.

I think it makes more sense for the people who are just chatting to move, instead of the person who is using the equipment in the room.  They can chat anywhere.

But the question is not about asking them to go away, it is about asking them to lower their voices, which does not require moving. 

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »

I think it makes more sense for the people who are just chatting to move, instead of the person who is using the equipment in the room.  They can chat anywhere.

But the question is not about asking them to go away, it is about asking them to lower their voices, which does not require moving.

It wasn't clear to me that the OP was using the equipment. It sounded to me like it was just the table space that she was utilising as opposed to the projectors or anything else.

lowspark

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
It has whiteboards, power hookups for computers, free printing, and screens so that you can magnify what's on your laptop.

These things don't indicate a quiet study space to me. It seems like you could hold meetings there, since that would be the obvious use for the white board and screen. Sure, the area could certainly be used as a study space if you're the only one there or if everyone there happens to be quiet, but I don't think being quiet is required in that room.

Now, if someone were holding some kind of meeting there, then it would be reasonable to expect anyone else in the room who was not involved in the meeting to keep quiet so that the meeting could be conducted. I'm just not convinced that your study session would fall into that parameter.

ncmom22

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
Do you have someone like an RA or that manages the place?  I would ask them what the exact purpose is.  And if it should not be used for social purposes, maybe they can put up a sign at each table reminding the students.