Author Topic: Regional Misunderstandings  (Read 5667 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Regional Misunderstandings
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 10:20:26 AM »
Did this paper appear in the 'Journal of Irrproducible Results' by any chance?

It sounds like something right up their alley.

The Annals of Improbable Research  :P  If you search Google for "Kansas flat pancake study" you get several other references to it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
Thank you, Slattibartfast.

Didn't know about that journal but I will check it out.  Do you remember the 'Worm Runners' Digest'?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
I am also from NYC and while visiting a friend in Daytona, FL i went to a beach snack stand to get hot dogs.  It wasn't busy and the guy asked where I was from.  I said NYC and we chatted.  When my hotdogs arrived they had cole slaw on them.  I balked and asked for new ones, that I didn't order them with cole slaw on them.  He insisted this is how REAL NEW YORKERS eat their hot dogs.  I assured him he was incorrect and we debated it for a few minutes until he made me 2 new hot dogs, plain.  I put ketchup and (yuck) yellow mustard on them.  I didn't want to risk asking for sauerkraut or onions, who knew where that might lead to.
Cole Slaw!?  Ugh!
I must have sauerkraut, sweet pickle relish, mustard, mayo and fresh finely chopped onions.  Gosh, now I'm caught between wanting a hot dog or pizza.  I can get HebrewNational franks 97 percent fat free.  I love those things!  If only they made 97% fat free Pizza...with zero carbs.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
Mayo!!! Mayo on a hot dog in NYC???

SACRILEGE!!!

A NYC hot dog can have any and all of the following...

Mustard (brown preferred)
Sauerkraut
Green relish
Chili (although that may be considered a bit twee by purists).
A red onion sauce sometimes known as 'dirty water dog dressing'.

But MAYO???

In NYC, that would be considered almost as bad as carrying a 20 oz  cup of soda. 

sourwolf

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »
Mayo!!! Mayo on a hot dog in NYC???

SACRILEGE!!!

A NYC hot dog can have any and all of the following...

Mustard (brown preferred)
Sauerkraut
Green relish
Chili (although that may be considered a bit twee by purists).
A red onion sauce sometimes known as 'dirty water dog dressing'.

But MAYO???

In NYC, that would be considered almost as bad as carrying a 20 oz  cup of soda.

You forgot the ketchup!

mmswm

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
North Dakota is flat.

Okay, so parts of North Dakota are very flat.  The Red River Valley is, in fact, the flattest bit of land on earth, but that's only a small part of the state.  The rolling hills of the prairies in the eastern and middle part of the state, and the Badlands in the west are anything but flat.

There was a humorous article published in an otherwise prestigious peer-reviewed journal in which the researchers did an electronic topography of a pancake and an elaborate statistical summary of the topography of Kansas and concluded that yes, Kansas is actually close to 100 times flatter than a pancake.  I'm guessing it was one of those "We have the equipment so we did the experiment, and since we did the experiment, why not write it up and see if they'll take it?" and then it actually got published  ;D

ETA: found it! http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i3/kansas.html  Includes lines like "Some readers may find the comparing of a pancake and Kansas to be analogous to the comparing of apples and oranges; we refer those readers to a 1995 publication by NASA’s Scott Sandford (3), who used spectrographic techniques to do a comparison of apples and oranges."  Also, their conclusion: "After many hours of programming work, we were able to estimate that Kansas’s flatness is approximately 0.9997. That degree of flatness might be described, mathematically, as “[dingdangity] flat.” "

Interesting!  It is worth noting that the "valley" formed by the Red River of the North, is not actually much of a valley and, at Fargo, is only a few hundred feet wide. It merges almost seamlessly into the ancient Lake Agassiz lake bed.  This is one of several reasons why the flooding in Fargo and Grand Forks is so bad (the other two major reasons being  that it's a meandering river, with hairpin curves and near loop-de-loops, and also that it's north flowing).  As you travel west from Fargo, the ancient lake bed gives way to the beautiful rolling hills of the prairie, then into the Badlands.  It's gorgeous country, btw.  If you've never been, I highly recommend visiting.  Well, during the spring and summer, anyway!  It can get a bit brutal during the winter (though still gorgeous.)

NDSU has a great website describing the geology of the area, if you're interested. http://www.ndsu.edu/fargo_geology/briefhistory.htm
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)