Author Topic: Quitting on a Friend  (Read 5586 times)

RavenousEdenFleur

Re: Quitting on a Friend
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 10:39:19 PM »
Thank you everyone! I have a small update. I have tried to talk to him, but he is always in a bad mood or not a good time, there are personal things going on. I mentioned my business hours and expenses I have been incurring and he said "well I may need something at 10pm,it will only take a minute!" so I think I need to just give notice, get through these 2 last small projects and sever ties.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 10:43:32 PM »
Thank you everyone! I have a small update. I have tried to talk to him, but he is always in a bad mood or not a good time, there are personal things going on. I mentioned my business hours and expenses I have been incurring and he said "well I may need something at 10pm,it will only take a minute!" so I think I need to just give notice, get through these 2 last small projects and sever ties.

It sounds like that might be the wisest thing to do.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
Might I suggest you get paid up front?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:31 AM »

I suspect you'll have trouble extracting your last pay cheque from him, once he finds out that you are 'betraying' him by quitting.   

His behaviour when you formally give notice (and I'd do it via registered mail, because he's making a point of avoiding discussing things with you) will say a lot.

Lindee

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:54 AM »
In a business situation, being in a "bad mood or not a good time, there are personal things going on" should not stop you discussing wages and conditions with your staff.  He sounds thoroughly unprofessional.  I'm glad to hear you now have other work options and can stop being at his beck and call.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
I think perhaps you should tell him that you can't start on the last two projects until ALL of the payment/compensation/reimbursement has been taken care of for all of the previous jobs.  You simply can't wait any longer to get this straightened out.  And since that's what you wanted to talk to him about....well, just let you know when he's free to talk, and then you can make arrangements for the other two jobs after that.  >:D

The other two jobs are your bargaining chip. 

Then, like a PP suggested, say that you'll need advance payment for the other two jobs because you simply can't afford to wait, chase him around, wait for him to be in a good mood, or argue about valid payment any longer.  Be blunt, but professional.  Because I'm pretty sure that he would never have been able to get away with such unprofessional behavior with anyone else.  Which means that if he wants the work done, he's going to have to start acting professionally.  Why not start with you?