Author Topic: I am not sure how to handle dinner invitations because of my situation  (Read 4245 times)

CluelessBride

Re: I am not sure how to handle dinner invitations because of my situation
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »
I think you might get some mileage from changing your terminology from "snacks" to "meals".

We had lunch at 11:00AM and at 4:00 I asked my aunt for a snack. She gave a tuna sandwich, an apple, and a pear, and said "don't eat too much we have a big dinner ready in a few hours". I am supposed to eat 1500 calories at 3:30, not to mention being very hungry.

You asked for a snack, and what your aunt provided many people would consider a lunch-sized meal.  Even knowing "Rosemary needs to eat a lot of calories" may not easily translate into "Rosemary's definition of a 'snack' is 1500 calories - which is close to the daily allotment of calories for some people." So be more specific about your requirements "Aunt, I need to eat meals consisting of ~1500 calories every couple of hours.  I can provide my own, if that's easier.*"  And then if she offers to provide your extra meals, it would be helpful to give her some sort of an idea of what a meal should consist of in order to hit your calorie target.  Because I suspect I'm not alone in having no clue how to provide a healthy 1500 calorie meal. 

*I really think it's important to offer this because your condition requires over and above normal hosting expectations. 

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Re: I am not sure how to handle dinner invitations because of my situation
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 11:17:05 AM »
I agree with the others that this responsibility falls to you and you need to make sure to carry high calorie snacks with you.

I think we had another poster with a similar condition but can't remember the name right now.  Maybe you can do a search and see if she had any tip for dealing with this.