Author Topic: Graphic novel recommendations?  (Read 1167 times)

kajunchick

Graphic novel recommendations?
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for a graphic novel for my DD, age 14? She likes to watch Hetalia and Soul Eater, but I do not have any prior experience with graphic novels. She also reads a LOT. I think she would enjoy something different. Thanks in advance!

I know that Hetalia has a graphic novel (is it called a manga?) but is it comparable to the series? I don't know what came first, so any feedback would be great!
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
Re: Graphic novel recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:34:36 PM »
Usagi Yojimbo is by far my favorite!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
I have a couple favorites that I don't think I'd recommend for that age (Preacher and Transmetropolitan), but you might want to flip through Neil Gaiman's Sandman series and see if she might like that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kajunchick

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »
Okay, I'll check those out. Thanks.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:25:44 PM »
I she likes Hetalia, some manga (Japanese graphic novels) she might enjoy are Fruits Basket, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, Ouran High School Host Club, Ranma 1/2 (perhaps a little too screwball, but a lot of fun), and maybe Rurouni Kenshin.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »
"Maus" by Art Spiegelman is good, especially if she's into 20th century history.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 11:04:03 PM »
Stardust or Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman are decent too.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

PeterM

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »
I'm coming at this from a guy's point of view, so I'm not sure your daughter would have the same tastes. That said -

"Groo the Wanderer" is always hilarious, if you like humorous sword and sorcery about a cartoonish barbarian who slaughters hordes of people while being trailed by his loyal dog and thinking about cheese dip.

"Girl Genius" is fun and very funny. It's maybe best described as steampunk lunacy.

Any of the graphic novels and collections based on the DC animated series tend to be good, if you like superheroes. If you can find collections of the old Batman Adventures or Superman Adventures, grab 'em. Those were some of the best superhero comics I've ever read.

kansha

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »
another vote for usagi yojimbo, especially if she's at all interested in japanese history/culture...

padua

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 01:15:44 AM »
i also recommend sandman.

and there's that one based on fairy tale characters...

Tashigi

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 02:21:43 AM »
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for a graphic novel for my DD, age 14? She likes to watch Hetalia and Soul Eater, but I do not have any prior experience with graphic novels. She also reads a LOT. I think she would enjoy something different. Thanks in advance!

I know that Hetalia has a graphic novel (is it called a manga?) but is it comparable to the series? I don't know what came first, so any feedback would be great!

Yes, there's a corresponding manga. http://www.amazon.com/Hetalia-Axis-Powers-Vol-1/dp/1427818762/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350627878&sr=1-2&keywords=hetalia

It depends on whether your daughter seen the dubbed version or the subbed version. The subbed version fits pretty well with the manga. The dub... took certain liberties and put a twist on the jokes that I can't say I like very much.

i also recommend sandman.

and there's that one based on fairy tale characters...

Fables

Just as a warning about both Sandman and Fables: They're both fascinating and beautifully rendered stories but there are some pretty... gruesome scenes.

A lot of CLAMP's work is pretty good: Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, Kobato.

Another series that I think she would probably like is Fullmetal Alchemist. It has a wonderful cast, an amazing storyline, and powerful, well-executed themes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:25:26 AM by Tashigi »

Firecat

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »
Fables and Sandman do both have some mature content (some violence, some scrabble-related), so you might want to check them out first yourself to see if any of it's a problem.

If she likes manga, she might like Inuyasha, and if she's seen the movie Labyrinth and liked it, there's a couple of manga that are sort of sequels. The first one is Return to Labyrinth.

It's not a graphic novel, but if she's into fantasy, she might like Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and Coraline.

Also, if you have a local comics shop, you might try talking to some of the folks there. Or, if you're not so fortunate, you might try contacting these folks: http://www.sourcecomicsandgames.com/. They're local to me, and they're awesome. They might have some recommendations to offer as well.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »

Another series that I think she would probably like is Fullmetal Alchemist. It has a wonderful cast, an amazing storyline, and powerful, well-executed themes.

And there's a reasonable end length :P (Says the person who has been watching Naruto drag out in Japanese for 7+ years...and the show had a pretty formidable head start on me!)

v33ly

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
If she's very nerdy, Dork Tower might be good.  Also the Peter David runs of X-Factor or Supergirl are fun.

Are you looking for a long run or would a single trade be good?  Doug Tennapel has written some awesome contained stories: Creature Tech, Cardboard, Ghost Town.

And if there's a good comic book store or if the library has a decent collection, ask the people behind the counters for recommendations.  Comic readers love sharing their favorites.

kajunchick

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »
I can tell! :) thanks again. I will definitely check these out.