Author Topic: Graphic novel recommendations?  (Read 1146 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Graphic novel recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »
Linda Medley's Castle Waiting is one of my favorites - clean b/w drawings, a fairytale setting, lots of friendly bickering among people/talking animals who love each other, family-friendly.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Tashigi

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »

Another series that I think she would probably like is Fullmetal Alchemist. It has a wonderful cast, an amazing storyline, and powerful, well-executed themes.

And there's a reasonable end length :P (Says the person who has been watching Naruto drag out in Japanese for 7+ years...and the show had a pretty formidable head start on me!)

One Piece is pretty bad too (681 chapters and counting!).

v33ly

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »
Linda Medley's Castle Waiting is one of my favorites - clean b/w drawings, a fairytale setting, lots of friendly bickering among people/talking animals who love each other, family-friendly.

There is some domestic abuse implied as you get further in, but it is an awesome story.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »

There is some domestic abuse implied as you get further in, but it is an awesome story.

Oh, and the adultery.  But handled sympathetically.

Parental info (and spoiler alert):The main character, Jain, has an abusive husband - the story begins with her running away after being beaten (she has a black eye and swollen lip; the beating is not shown). She is pregnant by another character, who she loves and who loves her; he is dead by the time the story begins, and the details have not yet been revealed. Her unhappiness with her husband, her rel@tionship with another man, and the resulting child, are all treated sympathetically by the author and the other characters.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:56:11 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Ryuugan80

• AO3 Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »

Another series that I think she would probably like is Fullmetal Alchemist. It has a wonderful cast, an amazing storyline, and powerful, well-executed themes.

And there's a reasonable end length :P (Says the person who has been watching Naruto drag out in Japanese for 7+ years...and the show had a pretty formidable head start on me!)

I'm going to add in my vote for this one! Fullmetal Alchemist is always a good choice. Busou Renkin, Kekkaishi, Shaman King and Reborn! are also really good options for someone that age. Lots of action and plot while still funny and quirky.

"Yo, those kids are straight up liars, man. All I told them to do was run product. And by product, I mean chewing gum."  - Lie to Me

-----

Lestrade: "Exactly how many times did he fall out of the window?"
Sherlock: "Oh, it's all a bit of a blur, Detective Inspector. I lost count

geekette

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 11:57:28 PM »
So, I can't suggest Karakuri Dji Ultimo enough. A collaboration between Hiroyuki Takei (creator of Shaman King) and Stan Lee (creator of basically all the silver-age Marvel heroes) is a recipe of awesome that pays off!  :D

I'm also podding the recommendation for Fullmetal Alchemist and Katekyo Hitman Reborn. If she liked Soul Eater, she'd probably also enjoy Blue Exorcist, and if you can manage to find it, Yuu Yuu Hakusho is a classic and still one of my favorites.
And if she's looking at online comics, then she should DEFINITELY check out Gunnerkrigg Court.