Author Topic: college adviser consultant-ever had one?  (Read 5560 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: college adviser consultant-ever had one?
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
He just wants to beat Clarice? Wow, competitive much?
Well, yes, it is much easier to consider yourself in competition with one other student than thousands!

When I run a 5k or 10k (only lately getting back into that) it is much easier for me to stay ahead of the few behind me than the massive numbers ahead of me. 

DS and Clarice,  in grammar school, annoyed each other a lot, but now they have mutual respect and encourage each other academically. They even do an on-line game together to de-stress. They still annoy each other with TV shows and politics.   >:D

But, for DS, it took off pressure and made it more fun instead of stressing over, "I MUST get a phenomenal score to get scholarships," instead of, "hey, if I beat Clarice, I can choose a day for her to agree with me for one hour.  that would be fun, and confusing for other classmates!"
She beat his score freshman year, he beat her score last year, so why not?   :)  (She is better with words, he with math)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2012, 12:50:58 AM »
3)   If your kid doesn’t know what they want to major in  or seems reluctant  to go to college, consider Community College.  It will be  a more supportive environment for a lower cost. Usually it is no problem to transfer to the State University.

That is, assuming that your community college is functioning. Santa Monica City College, which has the highest transfer rate to UCLA and USC cancelled their entire winter session due to loss of state funding. We're more than a little panicked because community college was a good alternative for our oldest son, but not now.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Nebraska Jones

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
"A college recruiter from the school DS wants to attend did visit campus during lunch a couple of weeks ago, and DS greeted them and shook hands and chatted for a bit.  She asked the group how many were seriously considering her school.  Two of the dozen raised their hands, DS and a senior.  She then asked, who do you think should go here?  And they unanimously chose DS. 

So, he is the chosen top nerd of his class!"

"OP here with slight update of a random comment-
Kids took the PSAT on Wednesday, so at home afterwards, in talking about tests and such, I tossed in the question, "so, DS, do you recall what the recruiter said when you were 'voted' biggest nerd?"

And he did not recall the comment.  DD piped up and said, "I remember that DS said something about who was the biggest nerd, but I was not there so I do not know."

And that was that."

Just wanted to add that those aren't the same thing.  Being voted "biggest nerd" does not mean that all the students present said he should go to that school over another student.  I just didn't think that was a fair interpretation.