Author Topic: Kindle Paperwhite?  (Read 2711 times)

elephantschild

Kindle Paperwhite?
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »
Soooo ... I'm finally going to order my first Kindle tomorrow! Whoo! :D  It's an early Christmas present from DH.

First, has anyone used the Kindle Paperwhite yet? What did you think? I read there have been issues, but nothing seems like it's a dealbreaker to me.  :-\

I think I'm getting that in the 3G version, and tacking on the power adapter. (That allows you to charge via outlet instead of computer, yes? Seems like a thing to have ...  ::) :))

I'm also considering covers. Simple zip is cheaper; nice leather cover may be better. Does either offer better protection?

Thanks for any advice.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

illini

Re: Kindle Paperwhite?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:36:23 PM »
I got one, I'm a big fan.  I had the keyboard before this, so it's not my first.  The screen is good, and the light really helps, even in the day.  I haven't tried any cases for it yet, I'm hoping Pad & Quill come out with one soon (I loved theirs for my keyboard).   There's a couple things I'm not a fan of for the paperwhite:  Reading in the tub with a plastic bag is a little more challenging because of the touch screen (though not impossible), and the fact that if I have it on coverview, the first page only shows 3 of my books, and 3 recommended.  I'd like to be able to turn off the recommended books section, especially since I hear that is also on the ad-free version. 

Snooks

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
I have an old style Kindle but one thing I noticed on the new Amazon Kindle cases is that they've done away with the elastic which keeps the case shut, given my Kindle gets shoved in my bag I want to make sure my keys aren't scraping the screen so the elastic is essential to me.  It might be worth thinking about how you think you'll use your Kindle when you're looking at cases.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »
I have a case with a magnet on a tab (keeps it closed very well) on one ereader (no internet access) and a plain "book" style case on another (internet access on that one).  I may end up getting some hook & loop tape and make a closure for it (I have the hook & loop tape in the sewing stash - I don't have magnets in the sewing stash).  Or a hair elastic.....whichever looks like the least hassle.  Maybe a lace head band would be the right size, right off the display?  Must check - I have a spare in the closet!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Steve

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 04:06:23 AM »
I have a normal Kindle. I wanted the whitepaper, but it has one large dealbreaking drawback for me: they refuse to ship it to Europe.

I use a Gecko cover on my kindle. It protects against dropping and scratches.
I do not have 3G, there are so many wifi's available to me, I really do not need it. It is only handy if you need to buy books and do not have a wifi available for that.

I am very happy with my kindle.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:50:39 AM »
I have a normal Kindle. I wanted the whitepaper, but it has one large dealbreaking drawback for me: they refuse to ship it to Europe.

I use a Gecko cover on my kindle. It protects against dropping and scratches.
I do not have 3G, there are so many wifi's available to me, I really do not need it. It is only handy if you need to buy books and do not have a wifi available for that.

I am very happy with my kindle.

It's definitely available on Amazon UK now.

I am not switching from my keyboard until it dies though, because it does the job very well for me.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 07:56:36 AM »
I have the Kindle Touch and I love it.  I may be asking for a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas for internet browsing purposes.

Anyway - in terms of covers - I have a neoprene sleeve by Built that I love (got it on Amazon).  If I travel with my Kindle I have a hardcovere sleeve that I put it in - it didn't have a closure of any kind though, so I just went to Joann's and got some wide elastic and made one.  Took 10 minutes tops.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
I have the Kindle Touch and I love it.  I may be asking for a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas for internet browsing purposes.

Anyway - in terms of covers - I have a neoprene sleeve by Built that I love (got it on Amazon).  If I travel with my Kindle I have a hardcovere sleeve that I put it in - it didn't have a closure of any kind though, so I just went to Joann's and got some wide elastic and made one.  Took 10 minutes tops.

I have the Built sleeve too.  Got it for my Kindle Keyboard, and then traded that in for the smaller, basic kindle. Which fit, but I was afraid it would slide out, so I sewed some velcro across the top, and voila, it  stays in.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
I am very interested in following this thread...

Amazon has the original Kindle for $69 and I was thinking of buying one just to read books on, then I read the reviews for the Paperwhite and thought about going that way - just to have the light.

My SIL has a Kindle Fire and she said she loves it more than her laptop, she said spend the money and get the newer one.  But I don't really want to replace my laptop I just want to read books - she says, "you say that now, but when you find out what all you could be doing you are going to wish you had waited and bought the whole enchilada."

Any opinions on that?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

Amazon has the original Kindle for $69 and I was thinking of buying one just to read books on, then I read the reviews for the Paperwhite and thought about going that way - just to have the light.

My SIL has a Kindle Fire and she said she loves it more than her laptop, she said spend the money and get the newer one.  But I don't really want to replace my laptop I just want to read books - she says, "you say that now, but when you find out what all you could be doing you are going to wish you had waited and bought the whole enchilada."

Any opinions on that?

I think it really depends on how much you think you'd use the other features of the Fire.   If all you want to do is read books, I'd go with the basic Kindle. Or the paperwhite.  For me, the basic Kindle is fine; i live alone, so if I want to read in bed, I leave the light on and it disturbs no one.  If you live withe someone, and the light on will disturb them, if you read in bed, then I'd go with the PW.

If you think or want to be able to watch videos, movies, check email etc. in a way that's different from what you do with your laptop, then I'd consider the Fire.  I know for me, I have a tv, and laptop, so I don't feel any need to have another small device i can do things on.  I won't be taking it anywhere either, so I'm perfectly happy with my basic Kindle.

ALso, with the Fire, since its backlit like a laptop, you can't read on it outside due to glare, where with the Kindle, you can see perfectly as its a completely different technology. So that's somehting else to consider if you spend time at the beach, pool etc. IF so, go with the e-ink Kindle.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »

Any opinions on that?

It dependson what you plan on using it for.  I have a kindle fire (being upgraded to an hd with 32 gigs next week, hee!) that I absolutely adore.  I can read books, magazines, surf the web, watch tv/movies through prime, and listen to music (although I haven't bothered, since I have an ipod).  I also still have the keyboard e-ink version, that I kept for going on vacation, etc., since the battery life is far better and I can read it outside, not to mention that heaven forbid something happen to it I wouldn't be nearly as upset as I would be if it was my fire.  And the fire is still purse friendly, if you already carry a medium sized bag. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
I bought a reader with wifi access so that I could use it when traveling to update friends & family by email of where I was - it is a lot easier to keep track of while stopping for a drink & a bathroom break - and it is far easier to pick up and carry into the bathroom (while shutting it down to put in your purse).

I suppose I could have bought a netbook - but I like my ereaders!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:30:15 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »

Any opinions on that?

Well, I don't intend to read on my Fire, because i like my Kindle touch just fine.  I want it so that I can peruse the internet more easily while sitting in my recliner at night without the bulk of my laptop etc in my lap or taking up space on the side table.  So- I guess it really depends on what you plan to use it for and/or wjhether or not you want to read on a backlit screen (the Fire) - I don't like to do that because of eye fatigue.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »
I am seriously tempted by the Paperwhite. I love the Touch, but I do like to read in bed, and the backlight screen would be really handy to read without a light when my husband is sleeping.

But then I am debating just buying a Kindle Fire, since the prices would be about the same. I would have to have the 3G since I hate being dependant on wireless.

*Re: the adapter. Most kindles use a micro USB, so you can buy a generic adapter for probably cheaper then you can get on amazon. My cell phone charger actually will charge my kindle as well. Just FYI.

Horace

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
Just an FYI OP, I don't know how much the mains adaptor specifically for the Kindle costs but you just need one of these to make your USB charger into a mains charger: http://www.everbuying.com/product36554.html They shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars to buy, not sure how that compares to the Kindle specific one.

Hah, Two Ravens beat me to it  :D