Author Topic: Kindle Paperwhite?  (Read 2978 times)

Girly

Re: Kindle Paperwhite?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »
I have the Fire, and I love love love it.

I really only use it to read books, play Words With Friends and download videos for the baby. It in no way can take the place of my laptop, but it's super handy when going out.

I almost always read in bed, and it's awesome for that.

Also, I had a Droid X2 phone - the charger is the exact same, so I didn't need to get any extra chargers.

Barney girl

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 03:54:02 AM »
I am very interested in following this thread...

Amazon has the original Kindle for $69 and I was thinking of buying one just to read books on, then I read the reviews for the Paperwhite and thought about going that way - just to have the light.

My SIL has a Kindle Fire and she said she loves it more than her laptop, she said spend the money and get the newer one.  But I don't really want to replace my laptop I just want to read books - she says, "you say that now, but when you find out what all you could be doing you are going to wish you had waited and bought the whole enchilada."

Any opinions on that?

That's interesting, as Amazon UK is selling it for £69, which is $110 or to put it the other way $69 is £43.

Redsoil

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »
I have the keyboard 3G Kindle, and adore it!  Would love to get the paperwhite, but me previous touchscreen ebook reader (Sony) left me less than impressed with touchscreen readers.  For fast readers, all that "swiping" to turn the page is annoying and fatiguing.  If they bring one out with the little clicky page-turn buttons, I'm in!  Better yet, hoping they upgrade the keyboard to paperwhite technology.

BTW, does anyone know how many books a keyboard can hold?  Mine currently has 500+ (which has slowed it down) but it still says it has 2,383 MB free.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »
I have the keyboard 3G Kindle, and adore it!  Would love to get the paperwhite, but me previous touchscreen ebook reader (Sony) left me less than impressed with touchscreen readers.  For fast readers, all that "swiping" to turn the page is annoying and fatiguing.  If they bring one out with the little clicky page-turn buttons, I'm in!  Better yet, hoping they upgrade the keyboard to paperwhite technology.

BTW, does anyone know how many books a keyboard can hold?  Mine currently has 500+ (which has slowed it down) but it still says it has 2,383 MB free.

You don't have to "swipe" with the Kindle Touch. All you need to do is tap the right hand portion of the screen and the page turns. (This is handy, but it does make turning the page accidently easier, too.)

As for how many books it holds, well, it really depends on the books, how long they are, how image heavy, but Amazon says up to 3,500.

Jocelyn

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 12:07:57 AM »
You can always delete books off your Kindle- they're saved in the Amazon Cloud, so if you want them later, you can always get them later.  :D

LilacRosey

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »
I think I know what a kindle is something about books (yay) but ehat is a 3g?, lilacrose

Redsoil

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 02:32:19 AM »
Thanks Two Ravens, and Jocelyn.  Handy to know.  Still unsure how I'd go with the "tapping" to turn.. I do LOVE the clicky-buttons - they're so perfectly placed and easy to use one-handed.  I don't have to move my hand at all from the "holding position" - it sits beautifully so I just have my thumb on the button all the time, and click!

LilacRosey - a Kindle is an E-book reader (basically a mini-computer dedicated to storing books for your immediate reading pleasure).  Amazon is the company which makes them, and provides a huge range of books to download and keep on the Kindle.  The Kindle device can actvely source books online directly from the store via use of wifi, or, for those of us in rural areas, 3G technology.  It's the same technology used by mobile phones and mobile broadband.  (Some services now offer 4G - even faster service.)

Basically, not every area can access wifi, so 3G fills the gap.

More info here:  http://voip.about.com/od/mobilevoip/p/3G.htm
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Jaelle

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
Wow, this thread got much longer when my back was turned! Thanks!

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my family is so behind the times technologically. No wifi at home.  (Errr ... you have to have your own wifi, right? Unless you're at place that offers it to the public?)    :-[   We still have a desktop computer, no laptops and no smartphones, so ...

That's why I want the 3G. Just seems so flexible. Or am I, in my ignorance, missing something?

Still haven't ordered it, but plan to tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »
Wow, this thread got much longer when my back was turned! Thanks!

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my family is so behind the times technologically. No wifi at home.  (Errr ... you have to have your own wifi, right? Unless you're at place that offers it to the public?)    :-[   We still have a desktop computer, no laptops and no smartphones, so ...

That's why I want the 3G. Just seems so flexible. Or am I, in my ignorance, missing something?

Still haven't ordered it, but plan to tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

not necessarily. I got my first Kindle and did not have wi fi.  You can connect to your PC via the USB cable, and transfer books you purchase that way.  And when you purchase, you have the option to have it sent to your Kindle, where anytime you connect to wi fi, it will be delivered, or "transfer via computer"

its a bit more involved, and for some, a pain in the behind, but it can be done, if you choose not to spend the extra $$ on the 3G.

Girly

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
LilacRosey - a Kindle is an E-book reader (basically a mini-computer dedicated to storing books for your immediate reading pleasure).  Amazon is the company which makes them, and provides a huge range of books to download and keep on the Kindle.  The Kindle device can actvely source books online directly from the store via use of wifi, or, for those of us in rural areas, 3G technology.  It's the same technology used by mobile phones and mobile broadband.  (Some services now offer 4G - even faster service.)

The Kindle Fire (and Fire HD) are also able to surf the 'net, download apps (Angry Birds anyone?), download movies, etc. Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, you can 'borrow' books for free from Amazon (no due dates) and watch certain movies/TV shows, etc for free.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »

The Kindle Fire (and Fire HD) are also able to surf the 'net, download apps (Angry Birds anyone?), download movies, etc. Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, you can 'borrow' books for free from Amazon (no due dates) and watch certain movies/TV shows, etc for free.

Just be aware that the borrowing books with the Prime membership is limited to ONE book a month.

Elisabunny

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
From what I've seen of the Paperwhite, it looks cool.  But can you organize your books into collections?  The Fire can't (without a separate download), which I find really annoying.

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...