Author Topic: S/O "Correcting people on the spelling of your name" -deliberate?  (Read 2661 times)

snowdragon

I recently purchased tickets for myself and my nephew for the "Haunted Castle" event at a local historic site. I gave the lady my info and had to spell my first and last name using the phonetic alphabet ( Like pilots use ) as well as my email.
  She got the money ok, but my getting my tickets and receipt were another story. She spelled my name wrong 4 times in a two page document.
Let's say my name is Carole Anne. Simple, right? especially if I spell it for you.  This lady spelled it Caroline, Carolynne, Carroll Annne and Carolle Nan.  seriously. is it that hard?
  My email that was supposed to use to get my receipt and printable tickets to me was also misspelled, again even tho I spelled it for her phoonetically. Let's say it was stitcherfairy@nodomain.com she spelled it stickerfairy@welknowndomain.com.
   5 mistakes in one transaction that took less than two minutes to complete.
I am not sure if this is just gross incompetence or deliberate - but it's beyond annoying. I am just not sure if I should talk to her boss about it and if I do what do I say? Frankly I am wondering how an organization can run with people like this working for it.
   What  would you all do?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: S/O "Correcting people on the spelling of your name" -deliberate?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:52:50 AM »
I know I'd be really annoyed, too, especially after having spelled it for someone.  I think on the phone I would have asked after the second misspelling, "Shall I spell it for you again?"  If you are unlikely to have more interactions with this woman again, though, I don't know that I'd necessarily call her boss about it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

snowdragon

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 04:07:51 AM »
I know I'd be really annoyed, too, especially after having spelled it for someone.  I think on the phone I would have asked after the second misspelling, "Shall I spell it for you again?"  If you are unlikely to have more interactions with this woman again, though, I don't know that I'd necessarily call her boss about it.

I could not ask her I found the misspellings in the document they sent me via snail mail, rather than email because she could not get my email right. I will have contact with her everytime I need to go to an event at this site -- I am longtime member.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 04:28:31 AM »

I could not ask her I found the misspellings in the document they sent me via snail mail, rather than email because she could not get my email right. I will have contact with her everytime I need to go to an event at this site -- I am longtime member.

Well that changes my advice considerably.  Is she the only who books tickets?  If so, I say call the boss and explain that you're disappointed in their service especially when your name was spelled incorrectly 4 different times on one document.  Explain that is poor attention to detail and it makes you worry you're not going to get your tickets in the future in the case that you're address isn't recorded correctly.  Make it all relative.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »
I am not sure if this is just gross incompetence or deliberate - but it's beyond annoying. I am just not sure if I should talk to her boss about it and if I do what do I say? Frankly I am wondering how an organization can run with people like this working for it.
   What  would you all do?

Unless you know her personally and she dislikes you and thinks she has a reason to hose you ... it's not deliberate.
Words mean things.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 08:43:03 AM »
I would laugh. Honestly, when absurdity like that happens I view it as a gift from God.  I assume that the spellings won't actually prevent you from getting into the castle.  I can't even imagine why the misspellings being deliberate would even be considered as a possibility.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
I would mention it to her supervisor.  If it had been a one-time misspelling that she later corrected there would be no need, but this woman misspelled your name (and email) 5 times.

Either by phone or email state that you had spoken with Employee and spelled your name and email for her.  When you hadn't received an email confirmation you received a letter containing multiple misspellings of your name and email address.

Express concern that this was the reason you hadn't received the email confirmation.  Whenever someone tells me their email address I always read it back to them to ensure that I have it written down correctly.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 09:07:58 AM »
I don't think it was deliberate but I would definitely contact her supervisor.  If this is happening to you, how many more people is it happening to?  And this woman handles money?  I wouldn't trust anyone that careless with handling a monetary transaction.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
I would definitely notify her supervisor/the facility because there is definitely a problem with her hearing/spelling skills.

I do not agree with the comment about her handling money - lots of poor spellers are excellent at math and other skills.  I am a very good speller and pretty darn good at math, my brother cannot spell cat but can do his math formulas for his construction work and do a great deal of money calculations with or without a calculator. 

There are several poor spellers here on eHell but I would never question their ability at other things and commenting on someone's trust based on one spelling incident is IMO incredibly rude.   

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »
You obviously do not know how to spell your names and she is helpfully suggesting alternatives.

If you deal with her often, I would send the examples to her supervisor.

Many people are bad speller, but in a service position, that should be addressed as many other people are very offended by having their names mispelled and the comfort and good will of the customer ARE important.

snowdragon

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »
       I don't think this is a instance of a bad speller. I spelled it for her phonetically "C as in Charlie, A as in Alpha, R as in Romeo, O as in Oscar, L as in Lima, E as in Echo." at her request. So she knew how to spell it, and didn't. I did the same thing with my my email. 
         Honestly, I am not sure if the misspellings will prevent me from getting my tickets, we are told to bring the credit card that was used to the event when come as the document with the misspellings and the credit card will serve as our id to pick up the tickets. Since the names on the document are not the same as on the card, this may well prevent me from getting the tickets.
      And yes, she is the only one who books tickets. I was at the site using their archives this morning and asked the archivist about the different departments at the site. There is only one person in the events ticketing department and that lady also works on grants for the site ( misspellings here can make or break your grant request.)

O'Dell

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:35 AM »
Contact her supervisor for sure.

Absolutely there are people out there who are just this incompetent. I receive junk mail from all sorts of organizations under the crazyiest spellings! One got my first name *and* last name horrendously wrong. Sure my last name is a mess for spelling and pronunciation, but my first name is common and the most common spelling of it. Extra letters and letters left out...it's almost unrecognizable. I laminated it and use it as a fridge magnet. :D
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

wyliefool

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »
       I don't think this is a instance of a bad speller. I spelled it for her phonetically "C as in Charlie, A as in Alpha, R as in Romeo, O as in Oscar, L as in Lima, E as in Echo." at her request. So she knew how to spell it, and didn't. I did the same thing with my my email. 

Slightly OT but I tried this recently w/ activating a new modem--so I had to read out the incredibly long string of random letters/numbers--and when I got to 'B as in Boston' the girl was like 'E?' 'no, B as in Boston' 'G?' 'No, B as in Boston! Bingo! Blazes! Blaster!' 'Ohhh, B::)  >:(  What word starts w/ E and sounds like 'Boston'?!?

As for your ticket situation, I'd definitely complain since this is going to happen again.

Minmom3

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »
Contact her supervisor for sure.

Absolutely there are people out there who are just this incompetent. I receive junk mail from all sorts of organizations under the crazyiest spellings! One got my first name *and* last name horrendously wrong. Sure my last name is a mess for spelling and pronunciation, but my first name is common and the most common spelling of it. Extra letters and letters left out...it's almost unrecognizable. I laminated it and use it as a fridge magnet. :D

My last name is Flick.  Flick your Bic.  Flick like movie.  Gotta be careful when writing it out all in caps...  Looks like fornicate if you aren't careful.  (I've gotten in the habit of putting a big round O over the 'i', especially when writing in capitals.)  MIL got a refund check from either the power company or the phone company, with the payee made out to FORNICATE!, in the amount of $1.32......  MIL framed it and stuck it up on the wall. 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 03:44:28 PM »
I do not agree with the comment about her handling money - lots of poor spellers are excellent at math and other skills.  I am a very good speller and pretty darn good at math, my brother cannot spell cat but can do his math formulas for his construction work and do a great deal of money calculations with or without a calculator. 

There are several poor spellers here on eHell but I would never question their ability at other things and commenting on someone's trust based on one spelling incident is IMO incredibly rude.

I'd put it down to being a poor speller if she misspelled the OP's name the same way throughout the document.  But the OP said there were four different spellings of her name in the same document!  That's not poor spelling; that's carelessness.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario