Author Topic: S/O "Correcting people on the spelling of your name" -deliberate?  (Read 2662 times)

lowspark

Re: S/O "Correcting people on the spelling of your name" -deliberate?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »
What strikes me as odd is that she spelled your name four different ways. I mean, anyone can make a mistake and misspell a name, even if it was carefully spelled out as you obviously did. So if she'd misspelled it the same way every time, it would just be a matter of the correct spelling not sinking in.

But spelling it four different ways smacks either of incredible incompetence or deliberate obnoxious behavior.

Yeah, I'd talk to her supervisor.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
That's not poor spelling; that's carelessness.

Aren't those the same thing?
Words mean things.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 04:53:17 PM »

No, not in the least.  It could range anything from a disability to just someone being a bad speller; that doesn't mean they're careless.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 06:54:29 PM »

No, says the mother of a dyslexic child.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 11:25:16 PM »
Absolutely there are people out there who are just this incompetent.

I had a good friend from high school. We'd known each other for 2 years and he went off to the Army. We corresponded frequently by mail (in the days before email). He misspelled my name on every envelope on every letter that he ever wrote me. Often, the envelope and address had a different spelling than the "Dear Danika" first line in the letter. He never spelled my first name right. It was misspelled *differently* each and every time he wrote me a letter. It was amazing how many different ways he could destroy my first name. I always made sure to print it out very legibly when I signed my letters to him and wrote my return address.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 11:30:35 PM »
I have seen students spell their own names wrong from time to time when they were in a hurry.  One kid never seemed to finish spelling his name but you could never be sure how much of it he'd get down before he would get distracted or something.Sometimes he'd get 2 of the 6 letters in his name, sometimes 4, every once in a while 5 ...

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 12:26:01 AM »
Contact her supervisor for sure.

Absolutely there are people out there who are just this incompetent. I receive junk mail from all sorts of organizations under the crazyiest spellings! One got my first name *and* last name horrendously wrong. Sure my last name is a mess for spelling and pronunciation, but my first name is common and the most common spelling of it. Extra letters and letters left out...it's almost unrecognizable. I laminated it and use it as a fridge magnet. :D

My last name is Flick.  Flick your Bic.  Flick like movie.  Gotta be careful when writing it out all in caps...  Looks like fornicate if you aren't careful.  (I've gotten in the habit of putting a big round O over the 'i', especially when writing in capitals.)  MIL got a refund check from either the power company or the phone company, with the payee made out to FORNICATE!, in the amount of $1.32......  MIL framed it and stuck it up on the wall.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 01:14:30 AM »
Contact her supervisor for sure.

Absolutely there are people out there who are just this incompetent. I receive junk mail from all sorts of organizations under the crazyiest spellings! One got my first name *and* last name horrendously wrong. Sure my last name is a mess for spelling and pronunciation, but my first name is common and the most common spelling of it. Extra letters and letters left out...it's almost unrecognizable. I laminated it and use it as a fridge magnet. :D

My last name is Flick.  Flick your Bic.  Flick like movie.  Gotta be careful when writing it out all in caps...  Looks like fornicate if you aren't careful.  (I've gotten in the habit of putting a big round O over the 'i', especially when writing in capitals.)  MIL got a refund check from either the power company or the phone company, with the payee made out to FORNICATE!, in the amount of $1.32......  MIL framed it and stuck it up on the wall.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh yes, ROTFLMAO!