Author Topic: Pull ahead when done fueling?  (Read 4108 times)

GratefulMaria

Pull ahead when done fueling?
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »
I have a question about gas station etiquette.  I'm in the U.S., in a state that allows self-serve.  There's only one full-serve station in my city.  The setup is a single island with a pair of double pumps, so only four cars can be fueled at a given time.  It's really close to the road, so any sort of line can quickly reach back out onto a curved and winding section of a 30 MPH travel lane.  There is room to pull ahead before you merge out into traffic.

When my car's filled up and the attendant take in my card to run the payment and I see a line forming behind me, I tend to pull ahead so they can get out of the travel lane.  I've seen people do both -- pull ahead and wait at "their" pump -- and wonder what you all think?  Which would you do, or which would you rather see others do?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Pull ahead when done fueling?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »
I wait. At least one station I go to has signs warning not to leave the pump.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »
I'd pull ahead too.  That said, I find it strange that there's an attendant to take your card.  Where I live, we are completely self-serve as well.  But we are almost exclusively pay-at-the pump, meaning you swipe your card before you pump your gas.  The transaction at the end takes mere seconds, and just involves waiting for a receipt to print.

Lynnv

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:09:15 PM »
Most of the full-serve stations I have been at have signs that request that you remain at the pump until you have paid (I travel a lot for work, so this is mostly when I am on the road).  As a result, I would most likely stay at the pump out of sheer habit.  I also generally have a couple of things to do before I pull away (record mileage, reset ODO, etc), so that few seconds would be a few seconds that I would be sitting there anyway.  I can't see me objecting to someone staying at the pump while they are paying

If there is a line AND available non-pump parking, I do think you need to pull into parking rather than sitting at the pump if you are going inside for sodas/snacks/a potty break.  But that is an entirely different issue.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
You should stay at the pump until you've paid. What if you pull up, then someone pulls in behind you and starts pumping gas? It would get charged to your transaction. However, once you've paid, if you still have a few other things you want to do like record mileage or resettle your belongings and someone is waiting, then you should pull through. If no one's waiting, no harm no foul.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »
I'm from NJ where we ONLY have full serve.  I've never seen anyone pull forward after they've been filled up, although if you pay by CC, they do that before they start fueling, to make sure the card is valid, so when they're done all that needs to be done is pull the nozzle out, put your gas cap on, and return your card and receipt to you.  Which takes about 3 seconds.

I normally pay with cash, so same thing, only they close up my cap, and i hand over the cash.  If they need to give me change they do, but again, it takes very little time for that as well. 

At least here, since its full serve only, most people know to wait until the car ahead of you is completely finished, and paid.

My issue however, is people who pay, start their car, and sit there, checking their phone, putting lipstick on, etc. when I'm waiting to pull up to the pump! but that's a whole other thread.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
OP here.

These are older pumps.  No way to pay at pump, you pay when done, and no need to reset before the next person gets started.  The attendant has to take your card, run it inside with the amount (from dial-up, I believe), and bring back your card and receipt.

And I sure am asking about a fuel-and-go situation.   :)  One time this past summer, another customer and I cooled our heels while the woman whose car was already fueled went inside and ate an ice cream sandwich before leaving.  We were so aghast and amused that it didn't ruin our day, but wow!

Thanks for the points some of you raised, which I hadn't considered before -- I'll ask the owner next time and work with what he'd like.

MrTango

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
I'd wait.

Until I have my credit card (or change, if I paid with cash) and a receipt in my hand, I won't move my car and make it possible for someone else to put fuel in their tank at my expense.

Girlie

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »
I'm in a self-serve only state, and it's mostly pay at pump or pre-pay. Even on occasions when one has to run in after finishing at the pump, it's very rare for someone to pull forward. The only exception would be someone who finishes and then goes to the restroom, and even then only if the station is busy.

So, my vote would be no, don't move until your transaction is completely finished.

O'Dell

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »
But this is a full serve station right? So is there that great a risk that someone would get out of their car and start pumping gas after a person pulls up?

I'd pull up if it meant that someone would be safer from traffic. If it did happen that someone tried to gas up on my dime, I'd deal with that then.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
OP here.

These are older pumps.  No way to pay at pump, you pay when done, and no need to reset before the next person gets started.  The attendant has to take your card, run it inside with the amount (from dial-up, I believe), and bring back your card and receipt.

And I sure am asking about a fuel-and-go situation.   :)  One time this past summer, another customer and I cooled our heels while the woman whose car was already fueled went inside and ate an ice cream sandwich before leaving.  We were so aghast and amused that it didn't ruin our day, but wow!

Thanks for the points some of you raised, which I hadn't considered before -- I'll ask the owner next time and work with what he'd like.

And if its full serve, that means to me, the attendant fills up your car, not the customer, so if he's taking your card inside to run it, you're fine to stay put since he can't help the next customer until he's back out, at the pump.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
I'd ask the attendant when they take your card. "I see there's a line forming. Do you want me to wait here or pull up?"
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 01:18:13 AM »
I'd wait - I wouldn't want anyone to mistakenly think that I was driving off without properly paying for my petrol! (Yeah, I know that in the OP's case, she gave the attendant her credit card, but for all anyone knows, it could be a dodgy card...)

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 01:48:03 AM »
If all you are doing is getting gas then stay put.  If, like the ice cream lady, you are going to do other things, then pull up.

I was once stuck behind someone who left their car at the front pump and went in and shopped for about ten minutes.  There was no way to get around her.  I was a wee bit cheesed off over the situation. 

sweetonsno

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 04:03:59 AM »
I'd ask the attendant when they take your card. "I see there's a line forming. Do you want me to wait here or pull up?"

I think this is the best bet. I've never been in a situation like the one you described. It's all pre-pay here.