Author Topic: Pull ahead when done fueling?  (Read 4132 times)

Redsoil

Re: Pull ahead when done fueling?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 06:20:57 AM »
I always pull up if it's busy, but I'm in rural Australia, so it's a bit different atmosphere. 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

YummyMummy66

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 06:26:19 AM »
I would wait.

What exactly is pulling up going to do?  The car still has to wait for the attendant to come back out and pump the gas for the next car, doesn't he?  so you are not really saving any space.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »
I'm from NJ where we ONLY have full serve.  I've never seen anyone pull forward after they've been filled up, although if you pay by CC, they do that before they start fueling, to make sure the card is valid, so when they're done all that needs to be done is pull the nozzle out, put your gas cap on, and return your card and receipt to you.  Which takes about 3 seconds.

I normally pay with cash, so same thing, only they close up my cap, and i hand over the cash.  If they need to give me change they do, but again, it takes very little time for that as well. 

At least here, since its full serve only, most people know to wait until the car ahead of you is completely finished, and paid.

My issue however, is people who pay, start their car, and sit there, checking their phone, putting lipstick on, etc. when I'm waiting to pull up to the pump! but that's a whole other thread.

I am in Pennsylvania and we no longer have full service pumps.  It is mostly self serve pumps. Whenever we visit the Jersey Shores, I always, always, totally forget that they are a full service pump stations and I always get out of my car to pump my gas, until the attendant comes over to help me!    But, a question?  Are we supposed to be tipping the attendant who pumps my gas?

CakeEater

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 07:25:34 AM »
To be honest, I wouldn't be letting my card out of my sight. I'd be walking in there with it.

I've only ever been to petrol stations where you go inside to pay yourself, though, so my opinion might be skewed.

jeni

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 07:39:47 AM »
I sometimes wonder about this too, because it does feel rude to go inside when there's a queue waiting for your pump.  However where I live (in Aus) at most fuel stations there are signs that request that you do not move your vehicle until after paying.

This is what happened to me in a similar situation...
I remember feeling very embarrassed  and a little cranky when pulling up to a pump, after a vehicle had moved off, and holding the pump waiting for it to click on, only to hear an announcement over the public address system asking the person at pump 4 (me) - in a very telling off voice - to please replace the pump and wait until they had cleared the transaction - it's not like I had any way of knowing that it hadn't been dealt with.  The attendant inside was very abrupt at me, said she was sick of the beeping (obviously the person hadn't paid yet).  So in that case the person I'm sure was trying to do the right thing and pull ahead, only to no avail anyway - and I got reprimanded  ;D

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:41:54 AM by jeni »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
I'm from NJ where we ONLY have full serve.  I've never seen anyone pull forward after they've been filled up, although if you pay by CC, they do that before they start fueling, to make sure the card is valid, so when they're done all that needs to be done is pull the nozzle out, put your gas cap on, and return your card and receipt to you.  Which takes about 3 seconds.

I normally pay with cash, so same thing, only they close up my cap, and i hand over the cash.  If they need to give me change they do, but again, it takes very little time for that as well. 

At least here, since its full serve only, most people know to wait until the car ahead of you is completely finished, and paid.

My issue however, is people who pay, start their car, and sit there, checking their phone, putting lipstick on, etc. when I'm waiting to pull up to the pump! but that's a whole other thread.

I am in Pennsylvania and we no longer have full service pumps.  It is mostly self serve pumps. Whenever we visit the Jersey Shores, I always, always, totally forget that they are a full service pump stations and I always get out of my car to pump my gas, until the attendant comes over to help me!    But, a question?  Are we supposed to be tipping the attendant who pumps my gas?

Nope. I've been driving for close to 30 years and have never tipped the attendant. It may have been done in years past when they'd check the oil, clean your windshield and back window, etc., but since that's not done, I don't think its necessary.  And no one else I know tips either, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
I wouldn't tip in New Jersey where you are required to have them pump your gas but if it is a service I have chosen I might under certain circumstances.  For example, I lived in the UP of Michigan where wind chills could frequently drop 20 below 0 and sometimes the actual temp would drop 20 bellow 0.  When it got that cold is when I splurged on full service. Since those were utterly miserably conditions to be pumping gas in I did tip..

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »
Whenever I go from Hometown to CollegeTown (or vice versa), my parents will stop for gas at the same time (one of them drives my car, the other my mom's car). We don't pull forward until we're absolutely ready to leave, but that's more because the only thing we do in the gas station is use the restroom and maybe get a snack or drink. We try to keep it quick.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

judecat

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 07:07:11 PM »
I've been working in gas stations for the past 40 years,  and I can say that the pay structure for when I worked full service is such that tips are neither needed or expected.    Of course I haven't seen a full service gas station in years,  so I guess if you go to a self serve station and need extra help,  it wouldn't be rejected if you offered a tip to the attendent,  since physically pumping your gas is no longer in the job description.

LilacRosey

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »
I always pull ahead it just seems right., lilacrose

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
I live in NJ, too, and I have to say that I love the full service we have! I don't pull up until the transaction is complete, and that is all done while you are sitting at the pump.

If the transaction is completed and you need to go inside to use the bathroom or get a soda, then you should not leave your car at the pump. It's not unusual to see a line waiting for an available pump, and making others wait is not polite (IMHO).

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »
I live in NJ, too, and I have to say that I love the full service we have! I don't pull up until the transaction is complete, and that is all done while you are sitting at the pump.

If the transaction is completed and you need to go inside to use the bathroom or get a soda, then you should not leave your car at the pump. It's not unusual to see a line waiting for an available pump, and making others wait is not polite (IMHO).

Very true, although I have to say I don't think there are as many mini-marts etc, at least in my area, as there are in states with self-serve. My local Costco recently opened a gas station so there's alwaysa  line since its a bit cheaper than anywhere else.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 05:33:41 PM »

Very true, although I have to say I don't think there are as many mini-marts etc, at least in my area, as there are in states with self-serve. My local Costco recently opened a gas station so there's alwaysa  line since its a bit cheaper than anywhere else.

You're right. When I first moved here I was surprised that many gas stations were tiny things, with no convenience store. And in some places the parking lot is really small, so sitting at a pump when you're done can really inconvenience others.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »
The pull ahead is only for when completely done with your transaction.
Now, if you need to go in and use the restroom, get some coffee, and buy snacks for 5 indecisive people, finish up at the pump, then find a parking space and use the convenience store.

More than once, mostly when travelling, we have come up behind an empty and unhooked car, just waiting...until the owner comes out with arms loaded with food and drinks.  And then they wipe the windows with that cleaner and blade thing, or they re-fold a blanket, or change drivers and key chains, or open and serve the food...all while sitting at the pump space, yet not a drop of gas is going in.

So, ask the attendant who takes your card. 

At a completely self serve, do the gas thing at the pump, then park and do the store thing after you have parked.

I realize that was more than your question asked, forgive me?
 :)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

floridamom

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »
I would wait.  As others mentioned you don't want to let your card out of your sight.  Plus it might look like you are trying to take off w/out paying.

In the trucking industry, (I was a truck driver in my previous life with ex-husband) we pull the truck up after fueling and go inside to pay for fuel, coffee, bathroom, etc.  The next truck can start fueling while you are paying for fuel.  It's not easy trying to leave w/out paying in a tractor and a 53' trailer with 10 gears  ;D