Author Topic: Seattle in December.....advice?  (Read 2041 times)

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
Re: Seattle in December.....advice?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »
Bring your rain boots and raincoat!  :)  Don't bother with an umbrella....its the mark of tourist  ;D

Not true.  I am born and raised in the PNW and I (and everyone I know) carries an umbrella when it's raining.  That's one of the myths "locals" like to spread about this area.  :)  I have lived in or around Seattle for a long time.

Born and raised as well.  Never carried an umbrealla, very few people I know do, and they are newbies.  I have been stabbed by many a tourist carying an umbrella.  ;D

If you are here on the first Thursday of the month, check out the art walk in Pioneer Square.  It's free and has tons of fantastic local artists.  Also, SAM (Seattle Art Museum) is free on first Thursday.

Check out Bleu Bistro on Capitol Hill, the Lavendar Cosmopolitan is the best cocktail in the city.

The Pacific Science Center is AWESOME (not just for kids, I have tons of fun there as an adult) and right now they have  king Tutu exhibit.  Check out the laser light shows as well.

The Elysian Brewery, great beer and amazing food. 

Go see the Troll under the Aurora Bridge in Fremont.   While your there, eat at Blue C Sushi (gluten free tamari on request!)

Central Cinema in the Central District is a 21 and under movie theatre that shows classic movies (from every decade) and serves beer and food while you sit at tables.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Jloreli

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »
Yay! Thanks everyone! :D I hope that they will release us from the conference early enough in the day for me to take advantage of your excellent suggestions.....though I must remember that it is the reason for the trip.  :P  Rumor has it we will be in session until 5 every day.

Peregrine

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
I think the whole "only tourists use umbrellas" comes from the many PNW natives who will chose to just wear a good raincoat with a hood and avoid the hassle of an umbrella.  When we say no to umbrellas we're not saying go out in the rain and get soaked.  Its just that there's often enough wind that the rain defeats the umbrella, so a coat is needed to not get wet, and with a good enough coat you stay dry enough that the umbrella just seems like an hassle.

This is what I probably should have said, rather than trying to be tongue in cheek about the umbrella issue.  I live in a hooded Goretex rain coat most of the year, so an umbrella tends to be an unneccesary encumberance for me.  I also tend to think that they are difficult to deal with when one is travelling. It really just tends to be a constant damp drizzle, not so much a downpour. 

I do hope you enjoy your trip to the fair city of Seattle!  Fremont is great.....there is an awesome Greek restaurant over there too....Costas Opa, try the Lemonato.  If you want to enjoy some holiday shopping you can hit Westlake Center for some shopping, and I believe there is even ice skating.  If you are of the outdoorsy persuasion you can make your way to the flagship REI store (my very sporty BIL refers to it as the Mothership of all sporting goods).

nuit93

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
Definitely check out the King Tut exhibit at the Pacific Science Center.  Worth every penny!

I should warn you though, if it snows the whole city will shut down.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »

That's because it's all hills around and when it snows it becomes straight up dangerous to be out.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

nuit93

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »

That's because it's all hills around and when it snows it becomes straight up dangerous to be out.

Believe me, I know :)

Wasn't saying it was a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »

Believe me, I know :)

Wasn't saying it was a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.

And there are a couple of other reasons - PNW cities simply don't have the snow-removal resources compared to cities where snow is a regular winter occurrence.  Major arterial roads will likely be sanded/plowed - but by the time they reach more local roads, the snow is likely all gone.

Also - drivers who don't know how to drive in the snow but insist on trying anyway.

2doglady

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »
Also because the snow on the roads almost immediately turn to ice.  Seattle native here.,
Typical symptoms of stress are: eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast.

Are they kidding? Add wine and that is my idea of a perfect day.

Jloreli

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
Interesting....I'm from Vermont so I'm snow friendly....people will think I'm nuts if I go walking in it hmmm?

nuit93

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »
Interesting....I'm from Vermont so I'm snow friendly....people will think I'm nuts if I go walking in it hmmm?

Walking?  Not in the least.  I just don't recommend driving in it :)

pearls n purls

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »
Another vote for Pacific Science Center.

If you're a fan of Jimi Hendrix, check out the EMP (Experience Music Project.)   If you're not a fan, it's probably overpriced.

There's a brand new ferris wheel on the waterfront.

And the top of the Space Needle recently went from white to orange and will be painted green soon.

If you can see a show, the Paramount Theater is beautiful.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »

No - just be aware that PNW snow is different.  It's generally wet, as opposed to dry East-coast snow, and as a PP said - because the temperature generally (no, not "never") doesn't plunge much below freezing, you tend to get cycles of quick thawing/freezing again - therefore, ice.

You probably won't need them, but you might want to think about packing those bracey-things that you can attach to the soles of your boots or shoes, just in case.  I don't live in Seattle, but I'm sure that there are bylaws that mandate that every home/business owner clear/salt the sidewalk in front of their premises.  However, where I live not everyone does this as quickly as they should.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 10:24:16 PM »
This winter is predicted to be wet, windy, and rather mild. (El Nino). I'd be surprised if we got much, if any, snow this year.

Jloreli

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »
Looks like we will be right down town.....Pikes Place Market and the King Tut exhibit are on my hot list......and my favorite SIL will likely be in town on business as well!